Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

dripping fuel on my driveway...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dripping fuel on my driveway...

For the past couple weeks I've smelled fuel in the car when I'd fill up the gas tank. I've noticed that I smell it a lot right when the tank is full.

well tonight I filled up and took off onto the street giving it a little throttle and immediately started smelling a lot of gas. It was bad enough that I pulled over and checked the car. Actually I was even thinking the car might be on fire somehow cause I could swear I was feeling heat from behind me, but apparently the car wasn't on fire and that was just a crazy thought going thru my head

didn't see anything when I pulled over, no drips under the car, the engine didn't smell like fuel and no signs of leaking anywhere. I started thinking maybe the fuel tank didn't get quite sealed up and when it's full I smell fuel - cause I didn't smell much fuel when I was running low. When I take out the floor of the glove compartment, I don't see any signs of fuel

anyway, I go into the garage tonight and almost passed out from the fumes. I look under the car and there's a leak. It's actually still dripping. It's leaking somewhere around the passenger side right under the fuel tank about 10-12 inches in front of the rear wheel. I can't tell what's actually leaking because the gas is dripping down thru all the metal plates etc from I think higher up. It's a pretty quick drip. About once every second. I'm sure by morning there'll be a good quarter of a gallon leaked out.

Some of you might be aware I've had some weird issues with my fuel system. I have a CJM return kit and walbro pump and for some reason I lose fuel pressure as boost rises. I dunno if this was my issue all along.

So what could it be aside a hole in my fuel tank? Can it be fuel lines? The O-ring? what could be leaking right there?

I'm guessing I should tow it to nissan and have them look it over. They might turn me away though and say "WTF you thinking bringing some crazy modded Z in here?" and not touch it

Last edited by sentry65; 06-29-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your feedline or return line is prob. leaking @ your fuel bucket. Your fuel bucket might not be seated back down properly but if it's leaking while it's just sitting there that doesn't sound like the prob. As for your fuel pressure issue check a couple things. vaccum/boost line to FPR, and make sure you put the bucket back together correctly after taking it apart. http://www.************************/...uel%20Pump.pdf
I forgot to put the spacer back in that used to sit on the FPR in the tank. I just put the billet piece on there and the o-ring. So check that as well

Edit: I guess we can't link to APS's site for some stupid reason. Just gon on there and look @ the intructions for the 350z kit. There's a good diagram of the fuel bucket (2nd from the bottom)

Last edited by ZU L8R; 06-29-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
sentry65
the burninator

thanks
well the dripping has slowed to a drip every 4 sec now so at least it's slowing down. We'll see what it is tomorrow hopefully
Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a recall on the fuel filler neck, they crack and leak a ton of fuel when you are filling up. either that or you have a leak in the fuel system or a gas tank o-ring that isnt in there right.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:51 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I already had that fuel recall thing done. I really can't tell. The drip is just a couple inches from the sideskirt so it's pretty close to the edge right where all the pump assembly stuff is.

I'll actually end up taking it in on monday or saturday instead of friday. Too much other stuff going on to do it earlier

I'm just glad the dripping is slowing down.

Last edited by sentry65; 06-30-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been leaking gas at the fuel line right by the header. The fuel line goes into a metel piece and I don't know if its a Vortech thing or what but Nissan can't duplicate the problem. I think it only does it when the car is totally cold and stops once it goes to temperature
Old 06-30-2006, 03:25 AM
westpak
SFZCC

If you smell it mainly when the tank is full it is probably a pinched oil pump o-ring not sealing tight, when I did my return this happened and I got strong fuel smell specially when taking hard turns, and when I filled up it actually leaked at the gas station.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
If you smell it mainly when the tank is full it is probably a pinched oil pump o-ring not sealing tight, when I did my return this happened and I got strong fuel smell specially when taking hard turns, and when I filled up it actually leaked at the gas station.
Didnt know the oil pump could produce a gas leak +1 on the o-ring for the fuel pump assembly. You could try to fix that yourself with another o-ring its easy.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:43 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Alberto
Didnt know the oil pump could produce a gas leak +1 on the o-ring for the fuel pump assembly. You could try to fix that yourself with another o-ring its easy.
LOL it was early, I am usually not up that early still sleepy.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 PM
narkotic

Had the same problem, it sucked! It got so bad I would fill it up and fuel would just pour out the bottom of the car...

I tried to fix the leak but it just woudln't seal. Eventually I took it back to my installer (APS TT) and they got it sealed up for me. This is the 2nd time. Man, the smell was so hard to get rid of.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the location of the fuel drip, its almost definately coming from the top of your fuel pump assembly. Either your return fitting needs to be tightened/adjusted, or your fuel pump assembly isnt seated properly (possible bad fuel pump assembly o-ring)

Easy check, is to remove your false panel and sound deadening material from above the tank. Fill the car up with gas, and have a spotter watch for leaks. A massive leak of that nature will be easy to spot. Best of luck.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

I've been smelling light gas fumes this week; went to fill it up, lost about ½ gallon on the ground as it splattered on my feet.

Tore apart the glovebox to get to the fuel pump - covered with gas. Seems that the extra pickup I drilled into the bucket assembly (per APS' instructions) has broken So - now I'm rollin with a sizable hole in the top of the fuel bucket assembly.

I couldn't find the part on PN's website - will call around tomorrow. If anyone has a a fuel bucket assembly they'd like to part with, I'm interested.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, the fuel pump assembly is one OEM part....about $350 last time I checked.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.car-part.com there's a lot on there. Can be had for $100 Good Luck
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Much thanks for the link - found locally for $130 - will be picking up tomorrow unless this b*tch lites up beforehand.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
tig488

haha, be careful man. especially so close to the 4th.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
symalik

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
unless this b*tch lites up beforehand.
lol funniest thing ive read/heard all day ... although quite dangerous