Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
USED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
ok fine who cares spend 400 bucks on gauges and be done with
Obviously an autometer customer

Last edited by USED; 07-06-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
o snap its eric

i want to know more about this custom coilover from VRT has to offer? How much to buy it seperatly? How does it compare to the other coilovers out there? I sent you a PM and has not gotten a response back, perhaps you can answer this on a thread or you can PM me. Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by USED
Theres nothing wrong with Autometer. Are there better offerings? Yes...but nothing wrong with them either. I verified all my Autometer gauge readings against datalogging equipment on the dyno...

PS: Ninja editor I see

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 07-06-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
002-M-P

Guages I would agree are needed. But $400 isn't absurd or anything (not for parts only at least). Grab a Defi' mechanical boost guage for $115 or so and an AEM UEGO wideband for $285. Only gauges that are essential.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
USED

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Theres nothing wrong with Autometer. Are there better offerings? Yes...but nothing wrong with them either. I verified all my Autometer gauge readings against datalogging equipment on the dyno...
I don't stock them anymore. I got tired of the needles falling off of the boost meters and the tachos reading 2x the RPM's. They have a great replacement policy though. Sucks that you have to use it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
nissansource

How lame is that????? top fuel run autometer so i guess they are crazy to run them.. actually sir I run AEM WB with Gauge, DEFI D Boost and Defi Oil in my car. Id gladly switch to an autometer gauge like their top gauge line that will outperforme any of the junk thats out there. btw gauges dont win races

Prices

AEMWBGAUGECOMBO: 250ish
DEFIDBOOST:95.00
Defioil:95
sorry about 460.00

retail prices

wish autometer low line would be amber in color b/c id run it

Last edited by nissansource; 07-06-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
Guages I would agree are needed. But $400 isn't absurd or anything (not for parts only at least). Grab a Defi' mechanical boost guage for $115 or so and an AEM UEGO wideband for $285. Only gauges that are essential.
Not on a track car. Not in my opinion. Oil temp, water temp, fuel pressure are also necessities for a tracking car.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For this purpose, gauges aren't necessary. Are they prefered, yes. But gauges will make no difference in lap times. If the motor blows, the challenge is over. Also I don't think that the tires on the two cars should be the same. The challenge is a Z with $20k in mods and a stock Ferrari 360. Tires is a mod IMO and as long as it is within the budget, R-Compounds are fair game. That being said, they should be DOT approved, or a set of street tires/wheels to keep it a "daily driver" should be taken out of the 20k budget. Actually the Z would have stock wheels/tires so that doesn't matter. I know plenty of daily driven Zs that swap their tires at the track.

Last edited by SinCity350Z; 07-06-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

I don't stock them anymore. I got tired of the needles falling off of the boost meters and the tachos reading 2x the RPM's. They have a great replacement policy though. Sucks that you have to use it.
used them on two cars now...never had an issue...I don't use their tachs though...and the boost gauges I use are full sweep electric...maybe thats the difference.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
USED

But $400 isn't absurd or anything (not for parts only at least).
My point exactly. Installation is part of the cost.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
For this purpose, gauges aren't necessary. Are they prefered, yes. But gauges will make no difference in lap times. If the motor blows, the challenge is over. Also I don't think that the tires on the two cars should be the same. The challenge is a Z with $20k in mods and a stock Ferrari 360. Tires is a mod IMO and as long as it is within the budget, R-Compounds are fair game. That being said, they should be DOT approved, or a set of street tires/wheels to keep it a "daily driver" should be taken out of the 20k budget.
Not necessary? If the motor blows at the wrong time at the track and dump oil all over the pavement there just might be a TINY problem with that.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
002-M-P

For this purpose, gauges aren't necessary. Are they prefered, yes. But gauges will make no difference in lap times. If the motor blows, the challenge is over. Also I don't think that the tires on the two cars should be the same. The challenge is a Z with $20k in mods and a stock Ferrari 360. Tires is a mod IMO and as long as it is within the budget, R-Compounds are fair game. That being said, they should be DOT approved, or a set of street tires/wheels to keep it a "daily driver" should be taken out of the 20k budget.
I think so to. Esp. "if it has race brake pads the ferrari has race brake pads..if it has test pipes then the ferrari has test pipes" now we are modding the ferrari too?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:16 AM
USED

Originally Posted by nissansource
Id gladly switch to an autometer gauge like their top gauge line that will outperforme any of the junk thats out there.
Yes, I agree. But their top end equip is top end money.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Not necessary? If the motor blows at the wrong time at the track and dump oil all over the pavement there just might be a TINY problem with that.
I am not saying they shouldn't be in there, but they are in no way necessary to beat the Ferrari. Thats all I am saying. Nobody is going to say "man I would have beat that Ferrari if I had a boost gauge."
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
MIAPLAYA

I am not saying they shouldn't be in there, but they are in no way necessary to beat the Ferrari. Thats all I am saying. Nobody is going to say "man I would have beat that Ferrari if I had a boost gauge."
Well no of course not. Gauges should never be considered a performance adder. Its a safety/monitoring addition. To me its a safety issue. If you are putting a motor under that kind of strain at a race track where you have the potential of injuring not only yourself but other people on the track something needs to be done to keep tabs on it. You being an avid track driver should know as well as I do what can happen when a motor blows or the tires lock mid-apex. I'm not on either side here. I know Mike does great work, I've seen it, spoke with him, hell I even watched your car lay down numbers I would never have believed came out of 440cc injectors. But on the flip side the claim is a Track Ready car able to beat an F360 for $20k. Part of being able to win is doing it safely and not putting other racers in danger. So that being said gauges are a must in my book. And if Mike can get it done for $20k awesome I'd love to see it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
nissansource

Can we all just say installed 600 bucks then cmon dont eat big macs for a week i cant belive we are argueing about this. and for used sake ill run autometer in my car and lets hit the track see what the outcome is. And needles falling out? i googled autometer needle fallout and came up with nothing

Last edited by nissansource; 07-06-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Well no of course not. Gauges should never be considered a performance adder. Its a safety/monitoring addition. To me its a safety issue. If you are putting a motor under that kind of strain at a race track where you have the potential of injuring not only yourself but other people on the track something needs to be done to keep tabs on it. You being an avid track driver should know as well as I do what can happen when a motor blows or the tires lock mid-apex. I'm not on either side here. I know Mike does great work, I've seen it, spoke with him, hell I even watched your car lay down numbers I would never have believed came out of 440cc injectors. But on the flip side the claim is a Track Ready car able to beat an F360 for $20k. Part of being able to win is doing it safely and not putting other racers in danger. So that being said gauges are a must in my book. And if Mike can get it done for $20k awesome I'd love to see it.
I agree with you 100% on the gauge thing and I have tons of gauges in my car. For safety reasons, I think they should be in the car for the challenge, but I don't think they should count towards the $20k range since they aren't necessary for the task at hand. I think of it like a helmet, yes it should be used for safety purposes but it won't make you any faster.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
roneski

I find gauges to be of limited use while on the track. Who has time to look down and check gauges? I'll usually datalog them and look them over after a session. Otherwise if no warning lights came on, I'm too busy driving.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 AM
USED

I think so to. Esp. "if it has race brake pads the ferrari has race brake pads..if it has test pipes then the ferrari has test pipes" now we are modding the ferrari too?
No we are not. We are keeping with the pretense of a "daily driver" as originally stated. That's 91 octane and such. It's unfair to begin with. I'm just keeping the parameters as similar as possible.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 AM
nissansource

i always do a glance but on a power straight i rarely focus on gauges let alone many. I look at oil pressure and af only for the sec

Quick Reply: Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT