Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics ST + Kinetix SSV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
VeilsideZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonetics ST + Kinetix SSV?

the site says i'll needa new tune... anybody running this combo right now?

-ilon
Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not many people actually do try to retune. But some have and said it lost a little power
Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Dubai

I believe vitaminz has this combo. you might want to check with him!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
taurran

People run this combo on the reflash. Seeing as its no better than a plenum spacer and people with spacers (including myself) run them with no problem, you shouldn't need one.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:09 PM
turismo

I think the plenum is to big for low boosted applications. Thats like putting a t88 on a 350z thats only boosting 8psi. You wont see any significant gains unless making in upwards of 500+
Old 07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea vitaminz PPW Z has that combo
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by VeilsideZ33
the site says i'll needa new tune... anybody running this combo right now?
-ilon

Here is mine, and I did get a new tune. Clearly from looking at the turtle shell of the OEM upper and lower plenum this is far more straight forward in flow. So I wanted to de-tune for lower PSI along with any difference this might have made in the flow.

I should have left the boost psi alone, then I would have been able to see a difference before and after
Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
VipeR-Rt10

If you're gonna get the ssv, you're doing it for looks only. I lost 10hp with it on. Sold it 2 days later
Old 07-13-2006, 12:22 AM
VeilsideZ33

yeah i'm going mostly for the looks... it's a show car and the chrome plenum is getting kinda old... i think i won't do it this year tho seeing how i'll have to dress up a lot more of the engine to keep it show quality. i know it's no better (or even worse) than jsut a plenum w/ a spacer, but i still want to make sure my TN won't be affected.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 AM
TSCNismo

Default Sorry!!

Hey guys...I know that this question has nothing too do what you guys are talking about......but in that one top pic of the KINETIX manifold and TN turbo!...WHERE can you purchase that product (The KINETIX manifold the same one in the pic)?? please someone help!! thank you!!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Dubai

Originally Posted by TSCNismo
Hey guys...I know that this question has nothing too do what you guys are talking about......but in that one top pic of the KINETIX manifold and TN turbo!...WHERE can you purchase that product (The KINETIX manifold the same one in the pic)?? please someone help!! thank you!!
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192760
Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Peking
[Here is mine, and I did get a new tune. Clearly from looking at the turtle shell of the OEM upper and lower plenum this is far more straight forward in flow.
Hmm... I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on this. We haven't seen that impressive results with the SSV to make it worth the money, performance wise. The short runners and velocity stacks on the stock plenum seem to be pretty efficient with an added spacer or upper plenum. I'm not sure if the runners at such an angle on the Kinetix manifold really help for better or worse.

Many folks like the look because it's different. I personally love the way the stock manifold and engine cover look if powdercoated and painted.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Trav4011

Does the Kinetix intake manifold have velocity stacks in the plenum? Please don't tell me it's just a 90 degree angle, entering into each runner?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Trav4011
Does the Kinetix intake manifold have velocity stacks in the plenum? Please don't tell me it's just a 90 degree angle, entering into each runner?
No it doesn't, yes it is.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by taurran
Hmm... I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on this. We haven't seen that impressive results with the SSV to make it worth the money, performance wise. The short runners and velocity stacks on the stock plenum seem to be pretty efficient with an added spacer or upper plenum. I'm not sure if the runners at such an angle on the Kinetix manifold really help for better or worse.

Many folks like the look because it's different. I personally love the way the stock manifold and engine cover look if powdercoated and painted.
Well I forgot add this in my post... To me regardless of the increase of WHP I chose it mainly for the fact that I don't like the look of the OEM upper plenum... So that ruled out spacers, I didn't like the APS/Crawford upper plenums...

The Kinetix SSV was for me, sure more costly but I considered it pretty good since it replaces both the upper and lower plenum.

I say it would flow better just off of looking/comparing the OEM upper/lower plenum to this...

So it wasn't like I used some fancy devices to measure air or anything

But I find it hard to believe it won't give any good gains from stock with boost, though I don't expect anything close to what was reported by Kinetix's results they posted on their site.

Like I said I should have left the boost alone (when at 10psi making 400 WHP), then turning it all the way down (8.5psi with shims only which resulted in 378WHP)... So it would have been interesting to see if or what the numbers would have been.

Oh and if anyone was wondering the reason I turned the boost down and re-tuned for the lower boost was that I went a trip to MD... So long trip, didn't want anything to increase chances of something going wrong.

But I will be making a trip again to Sharif@Forged to turn the boost back up now that I am back home
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Trav4011

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
No it doesn't, yes it is.
That's a shame... to pay that kind of money for a intake manifold, and it doesn't even have velocity stacks! Hell, they could have at least beveled the entry to each runner.. that would have given a similar effect. But, there's probably not enough thickness in the base plate to do that.. since a 1/2" stainless plate would be pretty heavy..

Travis
Old 07-13-2006, 03:34 PM
SungNamZ

That's a shame... to pay that kind of money for a intake manifold, and it doesn't even have velocity stacks! Hell, they could have at least beveled the entry to each runner.. that would have given a similar effect. But, there's probably not enough thickness in the base plate to do that.. since a 1/2" stainless plate would be pretty heavy..

Travis
After seeing post asking question about "velocity stacks" and post stating "No it doesn't, yes it is", I sent e-mail to lsdunique at Kinetix and got the following reply: "It has velocity stacks as it clearly states on website". Here is pic of Kinetix SSV in production.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 07-13-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Trav4011

Looks more like flared pipe in a tubing machine to me.. There's still a visible "edge", which increases the tumbling affect, as the air comes across the edge. A properly design velocity stack, has a radiused entry into the runner, which is only accomplished by using a CNC machine and thick material. What is shown there, is better than a 90* corner.. but not by much..

Travis

Last edited by Trav4011; 07-13-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by VipeR-Rt10
If you're gonna get the ssv, you're doing it for looks only. I lost 10hp with it on. Sold it 2 days later

FI or NA??
Old 07-14-2006, 09:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Looks more like flared pipe in a tubing machine to me.. There's still a visible "edge", which increases the tumbling affect, as the air comes across the edge. A properly design velocity stack, has a radiused entry into the runner, which is only accomplished by using a CNC machine and thick material. What is shown there, is better than a 90* corner.. but not by much..

Travis
+1

Quick Reply: Turbonetics ST + Kinetix SSV?