Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single vs. Twin APS Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
only1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single vs. Twin APS Turbo?

I am planning on purchasing one of the two in the next month. I am really unsure which way to go. I was quoted around 8k for the single and between 10-13k for the twin. This includes installation, guages, test pipes and exhaust. I don't really go to the track, so I am mainly looking for a huge increase in speed for myself and some street racing.

Anyone have any opinions/advice on which one I should push towards. I have the money for the twin, but if single was strong enough, I could use the rest for rims, tires, possibly bodykit or something like that.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:59 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

as searching would tell you... the difference between the single and the twin turbo kit is dependent on your goals for powerband and upgrade ability.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by only1
I have the money for the twin
then get the twins
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
BrianLG35C

If you have the money, build and get twins.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
JasiJ

I was in the same boat you are in. Looking at twins vs Single vs SC. factoring in all the other things I wanted (or have) done to the car already, I opted for the single APS. I think you should look at your goals for HP/TQ and use that as a guide. For me personaly I didn't want 400+ HP as personaly I think it is over kill, thats not to say someone else doesn't want more, but that is on them. For me 375 - 400 is GREAT! YOU need to decide for YOU want YOU want. Like I said, for me I wanted a lot of power, but $$ to buy the extra's; BBK, Rims, interior work. set your goals!
and good hunting! you can't go wrong with either APS kit! IMHO

Last edited by JasiJ; 07-18-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Blake350z

I would recommend building the motor. APS TT setup and twins is ownage. Ive got the APS ST but i want more power. my goals are 550whp at the least. Another thing i was thinking of was to see if it was possible to do a engine swap on the new GTR Skyline motor. It could be a 3.8Liter.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
only1

I know it can be a driver's race, but what car are you looking at hanging with for a ST vs a TT? I want to be able to fight it out with some of the big guys out there, would I be happy with the single?...Can I still get a lot more power out of a single if I decide it's not enough?

Thanks again for the help...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Oleg

I know it can be a driver's race, but what car are you looking at hanging with for a ST vs a TT? I want to be able to fight it out with some of the big guys out there, would I be happy with the single?...Can I still get a lot more power out of a single if I decide it's not enough?

Thanks again for the help...

And what would be the battlefield on which you'll fight it out?

In a autox, you'll beat the everliving snot out of someone with NOTHING BUT the APS TT kit, if you have your ST, suspension, wheels, brakes, etc...

And if you are not building the motor, both kits are equally capable of bringing the VQ to it's limit.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
MoodDude

Here is my two cents,

I had 460 rwhp with the APS TT and on a road track it was so hard to manage the corners. So I decreased the boost, and now I am running around 420 to 440 rwhp with a medium gain setting. Now my exit speeds out of the corners are so much faster. So I really don't see any need for crazy hp at all unless you have a long straight away!
Now as far as the difference between TT and ST, it should be spool up time. Yet, you could probably get the same results by lightening up the rotating parts on your car (ie, flywheel, wheels/tires, harmonic balancer,...) with a ST. Yet, you can do the same with a TT and see almost no lag, that means faster lap times since you don't have to shift as much to be in the power band!
As for AutoX, a TT or ST will do NOTHING for you. Better off spending your money on tires and wheels!
As for the street I think either kit would work great!
As for the drag strip - I have no idea?

Of coarse the order of investment in any car should always be:
1. The Driver
2. The Driver
3. The Driver
4. The Driver
5. The Driver
6. Safety equipment
7. Reliablity
8. Performance

And the order of performance purchasing should be:
1. The driver seat (you guys might think this is stupid, but everything the car is doing is communicated to you throught the seat. And if you can keep the driver in a fixed position, the faster you can push the car!)
2. Tires
3. Everything else ties for this one.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
TTRANK

For the street I would go with the TT. I hate lag so the less the better.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
JoneZZZ

I am planning on purchasing one of the two in the next month....... I don't really go to the track, so I am mainly looking for a huge increase in speed for myself and some street racing.

......... I have the money for the twin, but if single was strong enough, I could use the rest for rims, tires, possibly bodykit or something like that.

Thanks in advance.
I'm running the APS ST on a stock 5AT....I made my decision based on price and the fact that the ST allowed me to reach my power goals just as easily as the APS TT......for me there was no need to invest in the TT because I was not looking for 500+ HP.

I have a running buddy who has a APS TT (manual).....not sure if the difference is solely in the TT powerplant or the close ratio manual gearing, but there is a slight difference in power delivery.......I did not drive my buddies car(he drove me), but I would have to say that in comparison, my ST does have a slight lag(and I mean miniscule)........this means lag to boost.....in comparing dyno sheets with my buddy, my ST reached full torque FASTER(3000 rpms), where his TT reached full torque closer to redline(near 6000 RPMs).

He and I caravaned to the the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC this past spring and I will tell you, you cannot tell the diference between the two in hwy driving.

Good luck in your decision......
Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
mistaboosta

TT 350z is one of the best street racing builds w the right choice of drivetrain and handling components
Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Gators2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tt!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:18 PM
k3silk

I was going back and forth between S/T T/T roots S/C and CENT. S/C and in the end i got a T/T set up yeah i prolly dont need all of it but man its nice to know you got it. and later on if i decide to built i dont have to ditch my kit. to make big numbers.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your situation I think it all boils down to the lag(boost and throttle). The smaller turbos on the TT set up allow you to have more HP/TQ down low and have faster throttle response when you step on it. It will make the car feel more like a stock motor with just alot more power.

If that extra driveability is worth the money to you go for it. Plus if you ever get the wild hair, you can build and go for insane power.

I myself, like you, would be happy with the power of a single, but am waiting for the money for the TT setup, simply for the DD driveability of the TT setup since it minimized lag.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:32 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mistaboosta
TT 350z is one of the best street racing builds w the right choice of drivetrain and handling components
how is your hesitation situation working out?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM
JoneZZZ

I am planning on purchasing one of the two in the next month. I am really unsure which way to go.......
Thanks in advance.

FYI......post up on www.chicagoz.com for additional local info and I'm sure we can arrange to get you some comparison drives.

Peace.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
JasiJ

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
I'm running the APS ST on a stock 5AT....I made my decision based on price and the fact that the ST allowed me to reach my power goals just as easily as the APS TT......for me there was no need to invest in the TT because I was not looking for 500+ HP.
I think we can lay down a TON of power with the ST and still have a sensible machine. just my
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Blake350z

Im going to be aiming for 550+whp in my APS ST. I think it can be done.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Oleg

Guys, I may be wrong, but some members did have issues with their APS ST kit. One had the oil pump go, and screwed up the turbo. The other member had that flex pipe (that goes underneath the tranny) break up, and the steel shards also destroyed the turbo.
If you are OK with ST, maybe a Turbonetics would be a better bet? Not to mention that with the APS ST a cat is not even an option...

Quick Reply: Single vs. Twin APS Turbo?