Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
trefling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when it finally gets towed to SGP racing, mark says, "im not surprised" then he says, "those kits have nothing but problems"....lol

Mark is cool as f*ck and he see's a bunch of blown engines. Any FI kit out there with or without computer management (EU, reflash..whatever) works like sh*t, bottom line. The fuel management kit that came with my old Procharger was a joke. All these blown engines with mills putting out less than 400rwhp are simply from lack of a good tune. And when Mark has the time he can really tune well, but it will cost you.

With a new bottom end, pauter rods, CP/Arias pistons your really truly looking at 10,000 or much more because once your car is in there then you'll end up needing return fuel system, new computer, fuel pump, clutch....you get the point. I feel your pain, I shot a rod straight through my block about a year ago. But as of now I"m so glad I build my engine strong & forged because nothing feels better than big boost. But at the same time this car of mine has ended up being a huge money pit and I don't see it getting any less expensive as time goes on.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
trefling

Please don't take offense to this, but I am so sick of all the "this is why I don't go FI" pansies. If you won't take the risk because you can't afford a new motor or if you are just to scared that's fine, but STFU already. Some of us don't give a *** if the motor blows or can afford a new motor without thinking about it twice........we'll just rebuild! Bigger and Better!
werd

Boost is not for everyone and if you can't afford to rebuild and engine the right way (forged) then just expect it to blow again. This sh*t isn't cheap and doing it the right way will cost 4X what it would stock

the stock connecting rods are a joke, why does everyone here marvel when you see 400-500rwhp stock block Z's??? At that level there are only a sneeze away from a rod through the block. I love the VQ, it's a great engine. But anyone comparing the stock rods to pauter will see a big difference without even knowing anything as to how they are constructed.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by solidsnake
No wonder you didnt buy my single exhaust. Sucks to hear. Where you really using 91 octane at 9psi or did read that incorrectly. 8k on the turbo isnt much but again ya nevr know. Good luck with the rebuild. Dont give up now.
my guess is Mike read SGP and assumed it was SP Racing in CA.. then guessed he was from cali where they only have 91
Old 07-25-2006, 05:23 PM
TruBluZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your motor man.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
hypeiv

silver lining?

Isn't 7k for a turbo uninstall, engine build up, turbo reinstall a pretty good price? Did that include all labor and parts?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
PumpedVA

Originally Posted by Oleg
Guys, give him a break. He's upset enough about his motor being blown, his DD being down and his marriage plans afected.
I know that all of you here are big turbo experts, but I am positive that the last thing he needs rubbed in his face right now is that this is his fault, even if that's the case. Can you find a way to add inches to your internet penises without doing so at someone's expence?

Good point Oleg hell I am allways messing things up because I am learning the hard way.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry this happened to you. As others have mentioned, the turbo kit is not to blame, however. Anyone that purchases or installs a turbo kit, should recognize that the cars are no longer OEM cars. They require periodic upkeep, checking, and tuning. I am not a fan of reflashs, or out of the box tuning in general. The vast majority of people have good success with FI, as long as the proper precautions are taken.

Do you happen to have a dyno chart, so we can take a look at your out-of-the-box tune?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by njsho
Yes, but you are the minority instead of the majority. Most people do care if their motors blow up. So if someone is searching for info about turbo kits it would be helpfull for them to see that this does happen and that it isn't a small thing to fix.
well the person researching will see the blown motor thread. they don't need to see post after post from pussies who will probably never FI their VQ. And I am not the minority. Most the people that go FI are ready for this. Obviously I don't want to blow a motor, but if it does, I'll be pissed for a short while until I get the new motor back in the car.

Last edited by Gman2004; 07-26-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by doug
thats not his point.. his point is.. if you are more interested in enjoying FI than you engine blowing.. then this is the place for you...

if you are more paranoid about blowing your engine that you won't do FI.. why the fck are you in the FI forum..

thats his point

+1. I should have read your post before making mine.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
IndustrialDuane

hey this guys selling a engine on this thread !

title VQ35 350Z Engine 9k miles + Procharger Supercharger

for like 2k it only has 7k on the engine i hope u can find the post its a new one! maybe save you alot of money man! just swap engines

https://my350z.com/forum/members/18439-elitemotion.html

elitemotion is his name i think good deal hope it helps man!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
in2therain3

I agree that people need to understand reflash does not cause problems if it is kept at what is was recommended for. Cars are not tuned one by one when they are built, it is a reflash that takes care of the tune (except like high-end cars). I own a STi right now and many people are running great using just a reflash with no reliability problems. Since it is not a reflash on top of a NEW turbo kit... another example is APR (an audi tuner) provides a reflash with their turbo kits and has been doing this without much issue at all. There are many many reflashes in the tuning world that has been done with success so they are not the main cause of blowing an engine... If it was such a big problem, nobody would even think of using a reflash
Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by in2therain3
I agree that people need to understand reflash does not cause problems if it is kept at what is was recommended for. Cars are not tuned one by one when they are built, it is a reflash that takes care of the tune (except like high-end cars). I own a STi right now and many people are running great using just a reflash with no reliability problems. Since it is not a reflash on top of a NEW turbo kit... another example is APR (an audi tuner) provides a reflash with their turbo kits and has been doing this without much issue at all. There are many many reflashes in the tuning world that has been done with success so they are not the main cause of blowing an engine... If it was such a big problem, nobody would even think of using a reflash

The kit is advertised as an all in one solution. Easy install, and such and at a bargain price. I don't see any footnotes that say, "look out for potential overboosts" or "the reflash works for 'most' cars"

Not saying, the owner couldn't have been more informed about what was going on, or have been running a 'safer' setup. What I am saying is, the TN kit isn't really what it 'claims' to be.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:07 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zivman
The kit is advertised as an all in one solution. Easy install, and such and at a bargain price. I don't see any footnotes that say, "look out for potential overboosts" or "the reflash works for 'most' cars"

Not saying, the owner couldn't have been more informed about what was going on, or have been running a 'safer' setup. What I am saying is, the TN kit isn't really what it 'claims' to be.
The kit is advertised to be installed on an otherwise stock car. It does exactly what it claims. People that install aftermarket parts on this kit are certainly falling outside of that 'claim'. This is why they offer a tuner kit.

Saying this blown motor is due to an issue with the reflash is presumptuous and typical on your part. You have no facts and you automatically begin pointing fingers like the normal trolls who can't point out anything constructive.

You remind me of a damn vulture, always circling about looking to s**t on everything not APS. We don't need you to soil this thread with your snide remarks. So please take your condescending, arrogant attitude elsewhere. Thanks you.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 AM
IslandZavage

The TN KIT is for a stock Z (from factory w/no mods!!!!).. From what I understand (from searching old threads/member accounts/reserach), once you start adding power/engine mods then you need to get it re-tuned. Anything from an exhaust upgrade to etc.. added to the kit makes it modded. So its simple easy instructions and math to me.

1 TN kit w/reflash (+) 1 bone stock Z = Good times
1 TN kit wo/reflash or tune after mods (+) 1 modded Z = Your on your own
1 TN kit w/reflash or tune (+) 1 Modded Z = Back to good times

Please tell me if im wrong about this, but im pretty sure through all the threads i've been reading regardless of what site they came from, i come to the above conclusion i made.

*PS* - Also a good reputable installer is a +...

Last edited by IslandZavage; 07-26-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:52 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

APS vs Turbonetics Round 10032

*ding* *ding*
Old 07-26-2006, 04:58 AM
summerofsam44

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
i wasnt even boosting, i think i was at like 2600 rms in sixth gear, but the psi is set at 9psi....
Wait you were going 70mph but in 6th gear? Why does that not seem right to me?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by taurran
The kit is advertised to be installed on an otherwise stock car. It does exactly what it claims. People that install aftermarket parts on this kit are certainly falling outside of that 'claim'. This is why they offer a tuner kit.

Saying this blown motor is due to an issue with the reflash is presumptuous and typical on your part. You have no facts and you automatically begin pointing fingers like the normal trolls who can't point out anything constructive.

You remind me of a damn vulture, always circling about looking to s**t on everything not APS. We don't need you to soil this thread with your snide remarks. So please take your condescending, arrogant attitude elsewhere. Thanks you.
Why don't you make claim I am getting paid by some 3rd party again?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Alberto
Your a fuking loser, and an APS nuthugger. The overboost has been fixed for months now Keep $hit like this off the boards for everyone's sake.
So says the guy with the blown TN setup

seriously though, I know most motors go because of install and other things not necessarily directly related to the kit itself. That said, this is not an isolated occurance and for you all to say 'oh, it's not the kit' is a bit of BS in my opinion. There are a lot of areas the setup lacks in that potentially could have caused his motor to go. The flash, fuel setup, overboost, etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Havok_RLS2

Never mind... Got my answer.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 07-26-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
So says the guy with the blown TN setup

seriously though, I know most motors go because of install and other things not necessarily directly related to the kit itself. That said, this is not an isolated occurance and for you all to say 'oh, it's not the kit' is a bit of BS in my opinion. There are a lot of areas the setup lacks in that potentially could have caused his motor to go. The flash, fuel setup, overboost, etc.
I dont care if your running a weaksauce Still Stage 1 or an APS TT at 500whp-every kit has the potential to blow your motor. The sooner everybody realizes this and stops blaming kits for blown motors the better. Comments like the one you made dont contribute to the boards, and the tons of people that read them everyday. It only starts little BS arguments like we are having here. Like I said keep that $hit to yourself. Your TN bashing is getting ridiculous, your not a stupid person, but it takes a dumba$$ to blame a kit time and time agian when its not the actual kit-or somebody that is getting the reach around from APS but thats another story....

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..