Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:47 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I dont care if your running a weaksauce Still Stage 1 or an APS TT at 500whp-every kit has the potential to blow your motor. The sooner everybody realizes this and stops blaming kits for blown motors the better. Comments like the one you made dont contribute to the boards, and the tons of people that read them everyday.

I would argue they do contribute as many people may not be informed about what isn't included with the kit and the potential issues they may encounter because of it. I would then argue, your vulgar, disrespectful rant doesn't contribute to the boards

It only starts little BS arguments like we are having here. Like I said keep that $hit to yourself. Your TN bashing is getting ridiculous, your not a stupid person, but it takes a dumba$$ to blame a kit time and time agian when its not the actual kit-or somebody that is getting the reach around from APS but thats another story....
TN bashing would be saying the kit is a POS and isn't worth the box it ships in. All I am stating is the kit has flaws. And those flaws could lead to blown motors. Saying the install was the cause or whatever is merely wishful thinking IMO

Why don't you get on the OP about posting this?:
Originally Posted by xluv2eatx

when it finally gets towed to SGP racing, mark says, "im not surprised" then he says, "those kits have nothing but problems"....lol

these are just my opinions, but to me, it seems like with this kit its problem after problem....its actually getting to be too much.
Regardless of whatever you or I say, his motor is gone, he was running the TN kit, it will be $7000K+ to rebuild it, and the shop he took it to allegedly says "im not surprised" ..."those kits have nothing but problems"....

Last edited by Zivman; 07-26-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 AM
down_shift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by summerofsam44
Wait you were going 70mph but in 6th gear? Why does that not seem right to me?

That sounds right for 6th gear... TN doesn't start boosting till around 80mph
Old 07-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Zivman nobody feels the need to always point out the weakness' of the APS kits, like the TN kit they are well documented. Most of us know the issues that every kit has, if I see a post with an APS ST related problem I dont go in and blame the design of the kit and contribute absolutely nothing to the thread-your $hit is getting old, we have all heard it time and time again from you. Your like the my350z APS parrot that day after day says "TN sucks, TN sucks" I wont respond to you anymore, you ron my ignore list from now on...
Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

First warning to the posters here. Keep it civil.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:46 AM
ht4

Originally Posted by Zivman
Why don't you make claim I am getting paid by some 3rd party again?
Not by any third party... by APS!

And, for the record, I still think he owes you an appology for that... He ignored my post in the last thread about that.

Originally Posted by ht4
I've been watching this thread for quite some time without saying anything -- mainly because these TN v. APS threads have gotten very old... but this statement really ticks me off.

Taurran, I understand that you like TN and that, for some reason which I do not understand, you hate APS. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion whether I agree with it or not. But your little game of misdirection is just outrageous -- it makes it look like you can't meet Zivman's arguments, so you question his motives and attack his credibility without any facts to back it up. When you were called on your false statement, you called Zivman a liar. That's just low. Argue the merits of your position or don't say anything.

Personally, I think you owe Zivman an apology.
Also, for the record, I think that many of the replies in this thread are very inappropriate. The guy just blew his motor. Give him suggestions, give him moral support... I know that's what I would be looking for if I blew mine.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
shanecrosby

Can anyone recommend a shop in So Cal to do 1. built motor 2. turbo setup 3. tuning?

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
shanecrosby

Originally Posted by shanecrosby
Can anyone recommend a shop in So Cal to do 1. built motor 2. turbo setup 3. tuning?

Thanks everyone!

AND YES, I USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have no idea if they are norcal or so cal

http://www.violentracing.com/
Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 AM
iceburns288

The VQ block is terribly frickin weak. It's not any aftermarket turbo tuners' fault. Instead of blaming each other's turbo manufacturers, just think about this for a second. I honestly have never been on a board with this high of a failure rate of stock blocks under FI. It's unfortunate Nissan didn't match the strength of the RB engines when it produced the VQ.

Sorry to hear about your blown engine, man, I hope you can find a good deal on a new one .
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 AM
doug

Originally Posted by iceburns288
The VQ block is terribly frickin weak. It's not any aftermarket turbo tuners' fault. Instead of blaming each other's turbo manufacturers, just think about this for a second. I honestly have never been on a board with this high of a failure rate of stock blocks under FI. It's unfortunate Nissan didn't match the strength of the RB engines when it produced the VQ.

Sorry to hear about your blown engine, man, I hope you can find a good deal on a new one .
alot of people are blowing blocks because they don't know how to tune engines..

maxima's have been hitting mid to high 400's on VQ30's for years now.. even before the 350z came out
Old 07-26-2006, 08:12 AM
jpc350z

Some root cause being offered for the majority of 350Z t and tt's that fail rod's
1. Under designed rod's for the application..t or tt
2. Under repeated stress/ strain (over and above design margins) rod fatigues and at some point (even no boost) it fractures.

Nothing to do with the mfgr of the t or tt but the application and mfg/metallurgy/design etc of the rod's
Old 07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
ht4

Originally Posted by jpc350z
Some root cause being offered for the majority of 350Z t and tt's that fail rod's
1. Under designed rod's for the application..t or tt
2. Under repeated stress/ strain (over and above design margins) rod fatigues and at some point (even no boost) it fractures.

Nothing to do with the mfgr of the t or tt but the application and mfg/metallurgy/design etc of the rod's
Don't forget compression ratio... IMO, that is a HUGE factor.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
shanecrosby

Just got off the phone with ViloentRacing. You can go with a fully built block and tt setup making 500whp+ for appx 15k. What do you guys think? -I know I'm not giving specifics, but again, what do you think?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
doug

Originally Posted by shanecrosby
Just got off the phone with ViloentRacing. You can go with a fully built block and tt setup making 500whp+ for appx 15k. What do you guys think? -I know I'm not giving specifics, but again, what do you think?
take it and run with it... my setup was close to that amount without the built block...

i would find out if that includes supporting mods also though.. like gauges, clutch, flywheel, boost controller..

find out exactly what you are getting in this 15k package
Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Oleg

One day and five pages. Topics so far:

1) Condolences to the driver
2) Turbo experts showing off
3) The ballers having a ******* measuring contest
4) TN vs. APS round 109812389712368162

What's next?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Oleg
One day and five pages. Topics so far:

1) Condolences to the driver
2) Turbo experts showing off
3) The ballers having a ******* measuring contest
4) TN vs. APS round 109812389712368162

What's next?
5. Pansy ***** that come into every blown motor thread saying, "this motor isn't meant for boost and that's why I haven't gone FI" ruining the thread.

Chit or get off the pot!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by Gman2004
5. Pansy ***** that come into every blown motor thread saying, "this motor isn't meant for boost and that's why I haven't gone FI" ruining the thread.

Chit or get off the pot!

If the "pansy *****" includes me, then you are misunderestimating me. The last year has been really turbulent for me in terms of finance, since I am a brand new home owner in NYC, but now that my budget is slowly geting under control, just wait and see what I will roll out within the next year. I don't promise that it will be anything VQ powered, but I can tell you here and now, it will be FAST...
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 PM
181 BluZ

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
i doubt ill get much for the kit....maybe 2000, if im lucky...
If you still have the no-hassel warrenty I would buy the kit for 2k

Sorry for your lost but you need to understand without proper tuning no matter what FI kit you get, it would still blow your engine. I'm not an FI expert but I do know that the EM is pretty important. I mean if your going to spend 7k? on the turbo shouldn't you spend the extra money to make sure its properly tuned?

Good Luck with everything.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
znot

did the op ever posted back as to the real culprit that blew his motor? or is he sitting back with popcorn in hand and enjoying the show?
I think this is how to start any thread related to blown motor
"Blown motor with (f/i name/product ), and after the autopsy, this what we found....blah, blah blah.........and blah blah blah......."
Old 07-26-2006, 06:21 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

to the OP, Sorry to hear it man. We all know it s a possibility when we start down the FI road but that doesn't make it any better. Good luck with your rebuild or whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..