Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What's the price to pay for dealer install??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the price to pay for dealer install??

I have a local nissan dealership that is willing to do everything for close to 2000 + tax. Is this a fair price???

Install items:
1) Vortech (complete with ss box) = $1000
2) provide contract tuner/dyno
3) change plugs (I provide the plugs)
4) tranny cooler (I provide)
5) raise idle (consult II)
6) 380cc injectors (i provide)
7) remove my UR pulleys (change to stock)
8) install gauges (I provide wideband, boost, oil pressure)

My real question is installing #3-8 really suppose to cost ~1000 or should it be less?

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 08-13-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:34 AM
GMZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do all of that yourself if you have a garage and a free weekend, cpt the tuning that is I did my install myself and it was a good experience. Thats a little high imo, but thats a dealer for you. Are they going to warranty the car and the mods???? If so then the peace of mind would be worth that imo also.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 AM
dimebagdolf

I'd find a good tuner shop to do the work unless the dealer is going to honor your warranty. I've just heard too many horror stories about dealers not even being able to fix the grease streaks on the window w/out screwing up the door panel, let alone a forced induction install...

Escpecially at dealer prices.

Just my $.02
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Mr_pharmD

I was thinking about doing it myself but its soo freaking HOT here in CA that I just cant stand being trapped in the garage for at least 50 hrs.

The dealership will be looking the other way (this is consider to be off road use, lol) but will warrenty their labor.

The tuner/dyno is contracted out to another performance shop which was charging me for everything around 2300 (no tax). Go figure?? (he is suppose to be the best in the area but I was leaning more toward the dealer warranty)

Also, is labor work suppose to be taxed? I remember getting some stuff done before and it wasnt taxed.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 08-13-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 AM
westpak
SFZCC

For 300 bucks go with the tuner, I doubt the dealer has much experience doing this kind of work and you might end up paying more down the road.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Gary King

Where in Cali are you? Did you buy your injectors yet? If not, I just got in some new RC 440's from a GReddy TT kit I could give you a deal on if interested.

Gary
Old 08-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by Gary King
Where in Cali are you? Did you buy your injectors yet? If not, I just got in some new RC 440's from a GReddy TT kit I could give you a deal on if interested.

Gary

Fresno, where are u at? I already have the injectors and actually have another set that I need to sell, lol.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 AM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
I have a local nissan dealership that is willing to do everything for close to 2000 + tax. Is this a fair price???

Install items:
1) Vortech (complete with ss box) = $1000
2) provide contract tuner/dyno
3) change plugs (I provide the plugs)
4) tranny cooler (I provide)
5) raise idle (consult II)
6) 380cc injectors (i provide)
7) remove my UR pulleys (change to stock)
8) install gauges (I provide wideband, boost, oil pressure)

My real question is installing #3-8 really suppose to cost ~1000 or should it be less?

shoot if they warratny it go for it!!!! otherwise do it yourself..
Old 08-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

$2000 for install and tuning and the items mentioned above is a steal. Does this dealership know what they are getting into??? I would poke around a little bit more, and make sure they have done this type of work before.

Cheap work, can end up being very expensive re-work.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by westpak
For 300 bucks go with the tuner, I doubt the dealer has much experience doing this kind of work and you might end up paying more down the road.

That was what I was thinking at first but they said they will honor their work. Therefore, if anything happens like oil leak or install related, I dont have to pay. Whereas, if I take it to another shop I might have to pay.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Gary King

We're in San Luis Obispo, about 2 1/2 hrs South West from Fresno but, we are not set-up to tune yet. You may want to consider Z Car Garage or ask Vortech who they would recommend to have all your work done under one roof. Let me know if I can help you with any thing else.

Gary

Fresno, where are u at? I already have the injectors and actually have another set that I need to sell, lol.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
$2000 for install and tuning and the items mentioned above is a steal. Does this dealership know what they are getting into??? I would poke around a little bit more, and make sure they have done this type of work before.

Cheap work, can end up being very expensive re-work.
2g does seem low for dealership standards when the local tuner/installer was doing it for 2300.

The dealership parts manager told me they had already done 2 vortech installs, 3 stillen, and 1 turbo install on previous 350z and had no major problems. In fact, they even showed me a stillen stage 3 350z getting routine mantaince. That sorta eased my mind.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by Gary King
We're in San Luis Obispo, about 2 1/2 hrs South West from Fresno but, we are not set-up to tune yet. You may want to consider Z Car Garage or ask Vortech who they would recommend to have all your work done under one roof. Let me know if I can help you with any thing else.

Gary
Thanks bro, I might need the 440cc if the 380 aren't enough. I'm getting the 3.12 pulley done so I'm hoping it's enough.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Gary King

Cool, stay in touch.

Gary

Thanks bro, I might need the 440cc if the 380 aren't enough. I'm getting the 3.12 pulley done so I'm hoping it's enough.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:53 AM
GMZ

I was thinking about doing it myself but its soo freaking HOT here in CA that I just cant stand being trapped in the garage for at least 50 hrs.

The dealership will be looking the other way (this is consider to be off road use, lol) but will warrenty their labor.

The tuner/dyno is contracted out to another performance shop which was charging me for everything around 2300 (no tax). Go figure?? (he is suppose to be the best in the area but I was leaning more toward the dealer warranty)

Also, is labor work suppose to be taxed? I remember getting some stuff done before and it wasnt taxed.
The Vortech is street legal in CA btw. From Vortech's site " 50-State Smog Legal under CARB EO# D-213-22". If the dealer will warranty it, then Id say go for it. The peace of mind would be nice indeed. BE SURE TO GET IT IN WRITING!!! It is awesome though, you will love the new power!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
THE TECH

Yeah, I would strongly discourage the use of a dealership for the work. As was mentioned above, they can't even fix TSBs or warranty issues correctly. I def wouldn't trust them to to something even more complicated and outside their tiny circle of knowledge. When it comes down to it should you have an issue with their install, they will quickly do anything they can to cover their *** and will most likely tell you it was not an install issue, but an issue with the parts that you provided. Go to a reputable tuner and get it done right the first time. It isn't worth the extra couple of dollars when it comes to these kinds of parts.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Gary King

Any quality shop such as Sharif's or Westpak’s is going to stand behind their work and possibly provide better service such as working after hours and have better knowledge of the kit and the tune. If you take your Z to the Nissan Dealer for the install and they contract the tune, you will have obviously paid for the tune with out receiving the benefit of establishing a direct relationship with the tuner which could reap large dividends in the future with additional tunes and modifications. What ever route you choose, be sure to get prices and warranty in writing.

That was what I was thinking at first but they said they will honor their work. Therefore, if anything happens like oil leak or install related, I dont have to pay. Whereas, if I take it to another shop I might have to pay.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 AM
TTRANK

I would say to take it to a shop that has done the work. Any good one will still back up their work.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Mr_pharmD

Now dealer wont touch it bc my used vortech kit didnt come with CARB #. Does that mean my vortech is not street legal is CA without the sticker on the blower?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Gary King

Should be the same kit, just made before CARB approval. Talk to Vortech and maybe they can get you a sticker.

Now dealer wont touch it bc my used vortech kit didnt come with CARB #. Does that mean my vortech is not street legal is CA without the sticker on the blower?

Quick Reply: What's the price to pay for dealer install??