Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can you lower PSI boost on a Turbonetics Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:58 AM
2fast4thelaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you lower PSI boost on a Turbonetics Kit?

I was wondering if I could lower the PSI boost on a Turbonetics ST kit down to 7 PSI to reduce the chance of blowing my motor? I would rather run 360 flywheel Hp safely than pushing it to its limit at 420 flywheel Hp.

If so, how do you do it? is it just a matter of adjusting the wastegate to blow off at 7 PSI?

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 08-22-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

5psi wastegate spring...if you did that your SN wouldnt make sense!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 PM
plumpzz

the difference between 7psi and 8.5psi isnt much and probably won't make a difference...its all about the tune.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 PM
turismo

What is the wastegate spring set at. You cant boost below your wastegate spring
Old 08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
2fast4thelaw

Alberto, I know you think I am a wuss about FI, but I just want to play it a littler safer than most folks on here. I want to add a small amount of boost first to see how everything goes. Once I get more comfortable with it, than I may gradually boost it up. I am just trying to be carefull, I have well over 40 Grand in my car now and I really dont want to drop another $7000.00 to short block my engine.

50 to 60 Hp boost is a very noticible increase and is enough to make me happy. I have considered a Vortech but I don't like the noise and extra mechanical stuff to maintain under the hood. I prefer the feel and response of a turbocharged engine.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think your a wuss at all man, trust me on that one. Different goals/needs for everybody
Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 PM
2fast4thelaw

What I am mainly worried about is detonation. I can only get 91 octane here in Colorado. This engine has a really high compression ratio so 8.5 PSI is a lot of boost. I think maybe 5 PSI would be an even better bet. At that boost I could raz the car around without the worry of blowing my engine.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 PM
tekk

is there a summary of most causes for TN failures? is it tune? or just rods losing it from too much tq?

what kind of power would 5psi give? i thought i read that stock you will get about 360-370whp....
Old 08-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Vash350Z

5psi will prolly get you anywhere from 330 to 350 depending on the tune.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Z PHAT Z

Originally Posted by tekk
is there a summary of most causes for TN failures? is it tune? or just rods losing it from too much tq?

what kind of power would 5psi give? i thought i read that stock you will get about 360-370whp....
That's right....stock TN kit only put out around 360 to 380 whp. I don't know how he got the 420hp. Oh I see...he must be talking HP instead of WHP.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
2fast4thelaw

I have done a lot of research on this here on the board so I will summarize a few things I have found on this topic from this board.

The Turbonetics kit is designed to bolt-on to a bone stock 350Z engine. The tuning is done by sending off your ECU to have it flashed. I am told that as long as you don't mess with any additional add-ons or anything that might change the engine in any way that this kit will safely boost your stock Z to 380 WHP or higher. (I am not completly convinced of this, but almost there)

I am also told that additional controllers are not necessary and can throw off the tune. Also running bad gas or regular unleaded gas will cause detonation and you happen to be rodding your car on regular with a turbo kit; well you will be picking up your engine parts off the road.

The stock engine in Z is not necessarily weak, but its just not designed to handle over 420 WHP. The turbocharger develops a massive amount of torque very quickly. In this condition the rods then become the weak link and they have been the failure point in many of these situations.

The Revup motor in the 05 Anniversary Edition, and the 06 has a slightly stronger bottom end than the previous versions but it is still too soon to tell if it is strong enough. I don't want to be the one to test that theory.

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 08-22-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:40 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw
Also running bad gas or regular unleaded gas will cause detonation and you happen to be rodding your car on regular with a turbo kit; well you will be picking up your engine parts off the road.

that's wrong. For one thing, your ECU is tuned for 91 octane, not 93, as you should know from your research. For another thing, the air density in colorado (generally speaking) is much less dense than at sea level, so chances are you're making less power, and therefore not as dangerous.

Another thing is, running unleaded gas is the only way to NOT kill your oxygen sensors. If you've run leaded a bit, your ecu could be WAY off because of fubaring the O2 sensors.

If you're not running a wideband, you sure as hell better pick one up and install it. Then you can monitor your air fuel ratios yourself.

lowering boost to 5psi will just make the car run excessively rich under boost and that would make even less power based on the reflash.

Just leave things as they are, because it's apparent you don't know enough as to how the kit, or turbo setups in general, work.

And another thing, the only difference in revup and non-revup bottom ends is the rod bolts. The rods are the same, the rod bolts are stronger for the higher revs. And don't tell me "well the part numbers are different." JWT has compared. The rods are identical, the only difference is the rod bolts. Stronger rod bolts help a lot, but the rods can still bend. Again, I wouldn't worry about it with the stock TN setup.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:47 PM
2fast4thelaw

Originally Posted by chimmike
that's wrong. For one thing, your ECU is tuned for 91 octane, not 93, as you should know from your research. For another thing, the air density in colorado (generally speaking) is much less dense than at sea level, so chances are you're making less power, and therefore not as dangerous.

Another thing is, running unleaded gas is the only way to NOT kill your oxygen sensors. If you've run leaded a bit, your ecu could be WAY off because of fubaring the O2 sensors.

If you're not running a wideband, you sure as hell better pick one up and install it. Then you can monitor your air fuel ratios yourself.

lowering boost to 5psi will just make the car run excessively rich under boost and that would make even less power based on the reflash.

Just leave things as they are, because it's apparent you don't know enough as to how the kit, or turbo setups in general, work.

And another thing, the only difference in revup and non-revup bottom ends is the rod bolts. The rods are the same, the rod bolts are stronger for the higher revs. And don't tell me "well the part numbers are different." JWT has compared. The rods are identical, the only difference is the rod bolts. Stronger rod bolts help a lot, but the rods can still bend. Again, I wouldn't worry about it with the stock TN setup.

Ouch! I just got school'd! Your right, i don't know everything. In fact I don't know anything about turboing a car! That is why I am here! And Guess what, I am not the only one.

I am just re-iterating a few things that I have picked up here on this board.

There are a lot of misconceptions and it's nice to have someone correct them.

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 08-22-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw
Ouch! I just got school'd! Your right, i don't know everything. In fact I don't know anything about turboing a car! That is why I am here! And Guess what, I am not the only one.

I am just re-iterating a few things that I have picked up here on this board.

There are a lot of misconceptions and it's nice to have someone correct them.
Sharif@Forged had someone a couple of weeks back go into his shop getting the Turbonetics Kit installed along with UTEC (and some other stuff)... While changing the wastegate spring and tuning for the less boost.

For the similar reasons.

So of course it is a good option for those who want more than what basic bolt-ons can do for you but don't want to take the huge plunge into power that would require you to build your block or worry about your stock block taking a poo
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
chimmike

running the 8psi at elevation is safe, even on 91 octane. If you're that concerned, spend the extra money for a UTEC and have a shop install it, tune it for the 5psi spring, and leave it at that.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
MIAPLAYA

I agree. The difference between 8 PSI and 7 PSI is not signficant enough to effect a change. If you are truely interested in doing so you need a 5 PSI spring and a boost controller. At 8 PSI the car is usually PIG rich. I and taurran have both run our cars to 9 PSI+ and still been at or around 11.5:1
Old 08-22-2006, 04:47 PM
NismoBlck350z

If u cant lower the psi on the turbo kit what would be the point of getting a boost controller? wouldnt one of those allow u to lower the boost safely on stock or near stock platform
Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the flash is tuned to use 91 octane? what the hell. ive been using 93 for a year now.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by solidsnake
the flash is tuned to use 91 octane? what the hell. ive been using 93 for a year now.
What's wrong with that? It means running 93 is just an added measure against detonation. I wouldn't expect much (if any) power gain from running higher octane fuel, it's mainly a safety measure.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by NismoBlck350z
If u cant lower the psi on the turbo kit what would be the point of getting a boost controller? wouldnt one of those allow u to lower the boost safely on stock or near stock platform
The boost will only go as low as the wastegate spring. A boost controller cant make the spring weaker If you install a 5 PSI spring with no boost controller you will get 4-5 PSI at the manifold. You can then use a boost controller to set the boost above 5 PSI.

Quick Reply: Can you lower PSI boost on a Turbonetics Kit?