Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Please help me! Idle problems with TN kit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran

Yeah, I suggested this earlier in the thread and I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested by others.

I also agree on the 'crapnetix' thing. I've seen it installed on two seperate FI Z's and both were running rich beyond belief without adjustment. The thing flows like a peice of sheit.
The major problem with it is the fact that the mating surfaces are about as straight as Elton John.. The leak under boost and we were only able to reach 6 psi on a TN kit this week and the A/F was sub 10.s!!! Car made 299 whp..Weak sauce..I simply can not understand why people continue to purchase this crap for $800 but bicth and moan about spending 800 on a mod that actually works as opposed to a chrome plated paper weight..
Old 08-29-2006, 08:26 PM
G3.5T

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
The major problem with it is the fact that the mating surfaces are about as straight as Elton John.. The leak under boost and we were only able to reach 6 psi on a TN kit this week and the A/F was sub 10.s!!! Car made 299 whp..Weak sauce..I simply can not understand why people continue to purchase this crap for $800 but bicth and moan about spending 800 on a mod that actually works as opposed to a chrome plated paper weight..
I can see that as a solution however neither I or in2therain3 have that plenum. We both have plenum spacers MD and AAM respectively.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 PM
G3.5T

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Its still a bit odd to me that if Turbonetics reflashed the ECU its not idling at 900-1000.
Thats what I am afraid of is the IF. What IF the flash did not take? Or was not done properly. Anyway to tell if my ECU is reflashed?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
in2therain3

Yeah, especially AAM installed the spacer and they make it lol
I supose they can't really make a mistake on the install.
My vacume is also fine but I will make sure to check any leaks again.
Who makes the craptenix sheit?
Maybe we could get a turbonetics to answer the question
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by G3.5T
Thats what I am afraid of is the IF. What IF the flash did not take? Or was not done properly. Anyway to tell if my ECU is reflashed?
Yeah and a pink leprechaun could have snuck into your garage and sprinkled magical idle dust on your ecu.

Really, the process of reflashing the ECU is extremely simple. The possibility of it "not taking" is about zero. There is an *infinitely* greater chance that it is an issue with the install or faulty parts (vac leak, ecu, throttle body) that would cause the problem. There are many more areas other than the spacer or intake manifold that could be a source for a leak.

It's easy to blame problems on something like a reflash rather than just do the work yourself and find out what was done or has gone wrong with the kit. I'd like to suggest people do this first.

As far as the reflash, the VP of Turbonetics drives a ST G35. The reflash works on them, trust me...
Old 08-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I can see that as a solution however neither I or in2therain3 have that plenum. We both have plenum spacers MD and AAM respectively.
I would make sure ther is no leak in the plenum mating surfaces regardless of who installed them and who makes them.Also AAM comes with washers with rubber gaskets in them for the 6 bolts that go through the plenum itself, make sure those were used.....If the reflash is tuned for 8 psi, like the kit is supposed to make, and the A/F is really rich, then there is a loss of boost pressure somewhere.As far as idle, the 380cc injectors can idle flawlessly with a stock ECU, so the reflash is definitely NOT the problem IMHO. But hey, what do we know
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 AM
G3.5T

[QUOTE=taurran]It's easy to blame problems on something like a reflash rather than just do the work yourself and find out what was done or has gone wrong with the kit. I'd like to suggest people do this first.QUOTE]

Thats almost as bad as the generic repsonse to every problem, "You got a Leak".
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM
in2therain3

Ok, do you guys know what would be the best way to check for leaks in common areas at all?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

[QUOTE=G3.5T]
It's easy to blame problems on something like a reflash rather than just do the work yourself and find out what was done or has gone wrong with the kit. I'd like to suggest people do this first.QUOTE]

Thats almost as bad as the generic repsonse to every problem, "You got a Leak".
That is because the probability of it being an air leak are more likely than it being a bad reflash or ECU.We have fixed more air leaks, than ECU's...This is why the probability of an air leak is 99% the cause of his running rich..We have seen it time and time again..Especially with the Crapnetixs plenums and plenum spacers incorrectly installed..
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by in2therain3
Ok, do you guys know what would be the best way to check for leaks in common areas at all?
get a can of carb and choke clean and start spraying it near areas where there would be a vacume leak. when the idle stumbles you found your leak..old school style..
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
g35pm

I say leak, my car used to have rough idle until I got rid of the leaks.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 AM
MIAPLAYA

I agree with the leak checking. If the flash did not "take" on your car the motor would have popped on the first full boost pull. Turbonetics knows immediately if the ECM did not take the flash.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM
in2therain3

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
get a can of carb and choke clean and start spraying it near areas where there would be a vacume leak. when the idle stumbles you found your leak..old school style..
Sorry but I'm a noob on this stuff. What is a can of carb and what is choke clean? So I just spray this stuff where there could be a leak and if there is one, the idle will stumble?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
G3.5T

[QUOTE=MRC Motorsports]
That is because the probability of it being an air leak are more likely than it being a bad reflash or ECU.We have fixed more air leaks, than ECU's...This is why the probability of an air leak is 99% the cause of his running rich..We have seen it time and time again..Especially with the Crapnetixs plenums and plenum spacers incorrectly installed..
I don't disagree with you. I was just breaking chops.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by in2therain3
Sorry but I'm a noob on this stuff. What is a can of carb and what is choke clean? So I just spray this stuff where there could be a leak and if there is one, the idle will stumble?
If you dont know what it is then I strongly suggest you take your car to a mechanic and have him check for vacume/pressure leaks in the manifold area.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:33 PM
in2therain3

Sure, that sounds like a better idea lol
To clear things up, I'm not blaming anything on the turbonetics reflash.
Just wondered why my idle is 850 while the flash puts it up to 900-1000.
My idle also doesn't change when the A/C is on and idles perfect when it is on at around 14-15.5. It does fine most of the time without the a/c on but goes down to 19-20 sometimes... well good thing that my car doesn't die from it!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 PM
in2therain3

I just had my car at AAM today to check for leaks.
They tightned down the plenum and they told me they found no leaks.
My idle seem to stay at 880 instead of 850 lol.
My max boost reached .55 which is 8 psi but it doesnt do that all the time.
Most of the time it will stay at .53 bar which is 7.7 psi.
Does it seem like maybe the plenum is still leaking??
Or any other problems that might cause this?
I will make sure to retighten the plenum bolts again... do I need a torque
wrench for this? If yes, how much torque is needed for the bolts?
I really appreciate the help guys, thanks!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:26 PM
taurran

There are other areas that may cause leaks other than the plenum. I'm hoping they checked all the couplers and even vac lines running off the intake manifold.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 PM
in2therain3

There are other areas that may cause leaks other than the plenum. I'm hoping they checked all the couplers and even vac lines running off the intake manifold.
Well, they took about 20-30 minutes checking the car so I hope they did all those things. I should probably do another check to just make sure NOTHING is leaking.