Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is F/I worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
JoneZZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
going FI is like screwing a fine @ss chic with no rubber on....

Quote from XBS..

"Its not worth it!

but i would do it again "

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 09-16-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:33 PM
wilric44

I have seen what it sells for but show me someone who bought one. Give me a thread where someone bought a boosted Z, then you will make me a beliver.

Originally Posted by chimmike
obviously you haven't seen what boosted 350z's sell for........so your statement is not true.

The transmission is very, very strong. One of the strongest gearboxes on the road in terms of what it can handle.

The motor, well, tuning is a big factor. If you're worried about blowing the motor, really, really scared about it, don't boost it.....you can't handle it.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 PM
DMK

FI is a money leech. Hate/Love relationship.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1doberman
Is F/I worth it?
The real question is if 100 people say "Yes" will you go and install a turbo kit?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 AM
wilric44

Here is the delima. I want to upgrade my car to FI. I have the money to install a turbo or SC, but I do not want to spend the extra cash to maintain it. I worked hard to purcahse my Z but I do not want to work hard installing upgrades. I just want to install it and not have to worry about engine blowing or having to add more internal parts. Now my question is, Should I enjoy my Z the way it is, or should I spend the money and pray that nothing happens?

The choice is yours! I spent my money on FI without having ever driven one. I knew what I wanted and with the help of this forum and my final decision I made my choice. If you must know I still have not driven the dam thing yet. 30 days to go. Cannot wait. I am sure I will want more power, but that is just part of the business. I say that I am finish with FI because the wait is just too damn long.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wilric44
Here is the delima. I want to upgrade my car to FI. I have the money to install a turbo or SC, but I do not want to spend the extra cash to maintain it. I worked hard to purcahse my Z but I do not want to work hard installing upgrades. I just want to install it and not have to worry about engine blowing or having to add more internal parts. Now my question is, Should I enjoy my Z the way it is, or should I spend the money and pray that nothing happens?

The choice is yours! I spent my money on FI without having ever driven one. I knew what I wanted and with the help of this forum and my final decision I made my choice. If you must know I still have not driven the dam thing yet. 30 days to go. Cannot wait. I am sure I will want more power, but that is just part of the business. I say that I am finish with FI because the wait is just too damn long.
In terms of true maintenance, a turbo'd setup is really no more trouble than a stock car. You still check your fluids, plugs and whatnot the same. yes, if your motor goes, that will be a big expense, but is a popped motor considered maintenance? Really the only thing I see as being added maintenance are plugs, but I think you could still get a fair amount of miles out of a set. Other than that, you might eat up your tires a bit quicker.

As long as you set the car up from the start the right way, maintenance won't noticably increase. That said, the talk of the tranny going out is a realistic concern on an auto setup - at least from what I can gather reading through the forums. That said, I don't feel a person buying an auto tranny'd Z is 'generally' the guy going for 400+ whp
Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by Zivman
1.) In terms of true maintenance, a turbo'd setup is really no more trouble than a stock car........

2.) As long as you set the car up from the start the right way, maintenance won't noticably increase.......

3.) That said, the talk of the tranny going out is a realistic concern on an auto setup - at least from what I can gather reading through the forums. That said, I don't feel a person buying an auto tranny'd Z is 'generally' the guy going for 400+ whp

Ziv, a fine line here, but I have to jump in on point 1 and 2, I agree with the following caveats;
My actual maintenance expense since going FI has not increased....but my PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES have certainly increased....maybe thats just the way I am, but I check, check again, question and check again.

On point 3.....I think I may be getting touchy because I own a 5AT...... I do not think most 5AT drivers drive the tranny to its capability(From reading the boards and giving a couple of test drives)...the 2004+ tranny is quite capable.....recognizing flare and staying our of it are important...you flare your shifts I guarantee failure at higher hp/tq numbers.

Then again if you run around speed shifting/powershifting at evey light....what can you expect out of a 6MT?.

on your point "...I don't feel a person buying an auto tranny'd Z is 'generally' the guy going for 400+ whp...".......I was looking to get 425....I would bump that to 450+....from the past 25,000 boosted miles on my 5AT, I am feeling comfortable with my setup.

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 09-16-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ

on your point "...I don't feel a person buying an auto tranny'd Z is 'generally' the guy going for 400+ whp...".......I was looking to get 425....I would bump that to 450+....from the past 25,000 boosted miles on my 5AT, I am feeling comfortable with my setup.
my point is merely there are a handfull of boosted auto Z's vs the countless number of 6mt boosted. Not saying it can't be done, just that in a general sense, the person that buys an auto isn't the person looking to modify the car to the tune of a sc/turbo/twin turbo pushing 400+ whp
Old 09-16-2006, 06:46 AM
wilric44

i was just making a point for forum member contemplating FI. There is alot of costs assoicated with FI. You change your oil more frequently along with other maintenance than you would with a stock Z. I know what to expect with FI and I know there is no end.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 AM
JoneZZZ

cool........
Old 09-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by wilric44
I know what to expect with FI and I know there is no end.

yes, you will be on a neverending quest to get smoother power (EMS, tune, etc), safer setup(oil coolers, radiators, tranny coolers, etc), better traction (clutches, LSD, axles, suspension, wheels/tires, etc), better monitoring (gauges and datalogging setups), not even mentioning the inenvitable motor build (because you want more power, or your motor went).

My car is seriously a bottemless money pit, but I love it. The Z car is the car I wanted and now is a legitimate, respectable setup. True, there are a lot of great cars I could have bought for the money I have thrown at the Z - Z06, M3, new GTR in a yr, etc. That said, I have have a car that not many (if any) in my area have, and I have had a lot of fun with it already.

No car is worth the initial investment to start off with IMHO. A car is a depreciating asset that shouldn't be looked at as an investment. Same goes for the money you put into the car. You will most likely never get a penny back on what you put into it, so you have to judge whether the cost of is worth it for you. Again, the best way to do that is have a FI experience with a person that has taken the plunge.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Jokestrap

Can you live with the Z the way it is? I could not. The car is just way too slow. It is absolutely the best, most affordable factroy car to take to the limits. Think about spending 25k and being able to hang with cars 3 times as $$$ ($150k-$200k cars) all day long and doing it safely. It's obviously up to you, but for me, it was easy. Sell the car and buy something faster and more $$$ or just keep the car and put that same $$$ into the Z and make it way better in many ways than any car I could have afforded. TT, built motor, and 8K miles so far with zero additional expense.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
Can you live with the Z the way it is? I could not. The car is just way too slow.
100% agree. Fun car in stock form, but sloooow
Old 09-16-2006, 10:11 AM
1doberman

100% agree. Fun car in stock form, but sloooow

Being that I haven't driven a FI Z, I don't consider the '06 Z to be all that slow. Following some members' advice, if I were to go and see sharif in marietta and get in TT one, I'm almost 100% positive that my view will change, and I will be instantly hooked.

God knows the only reason I bought the damn car was to go fast, but I don't want the need for speed to turn into a crack addiction. From listening to alot of you guys, it seems like it can easily turn into that! I know spending 9K on cometics already doesn't compare to what some of you guys have spent, but I guess I hadn't considered needing to have a few more thousand $$ sitting around for blown components. Thank the gods for forums like this!

So what it boils down to is that I need to ride in a FI Z, and simply decide if that feeling of being thrown into the back of my seat at will is worth the potential headaches that come with that game.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:05 AM
k3silk

This is how i see it if you have never had a boosted car then dont boost it buy some rims drop sounds system and be happy with your ride. Me i made the mastake of boosting my gsr integra along time ago now i cant have a car that is not boosted i just have to have that TQ power and BOV i wish i didnt know anything about boost then i would have some nice rims drop and be happy but instead i got a 06 Z that is 6 months old and the First mod i get for it was a TT kit. lol
Old 09-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Osix350Z
Banned

I have never owned a boosted car until I bought my Z.. I went the bolt on route first (weak). So I decided to stop playing games and go FI (getting bored) Now I just want more power, it's a vicious cycle.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in pretty much the same situaton as the poster. Thanks for the replies everyone (instead of yelling SEARCH). I'm going to stick with the cosmetic stuff to start off with.. and also learn to drive my car better (track with experts) before I start thinking of the engine mods again.

I'm content in thinking my stock Z is fast..and I don't even want to know what it feels like with FI - I know I'd then be disappointed every time I drove stock afterwords.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:02 AM
rs350z

yes, you will be on a neverending quest to get smoother power (EMS, tune, etc), safer setup(oil coolers, radiators, tranny coolers, etc), better traction (clutches, LSD, axles, suspension, wheels/tires, etc), better monitoring (gauges and datalogging setups), not even mentioning the inenvitable motor build (because you want more power, or your motor went).

My car is seriously a bottemless money pit, but I love it. The Z car is the car I wanted and now is a legitimate, respectable setup. True, there are a lot of great cars I could have bought for the money I have thrown at the Z - Z06, M3, new GTR in a yr, etc. That said, I have have a car that not many (if any) in my area have, and I have had a lot of fun with it already.
+1 on this statement. The only reason most of the kits become endless pits is because the owner is searching for more power. I also believe that most kit will run fine if you run them the way they are meant to run on the stock car. Most of the problems you read about are caused by people starting to make changes. In the search for more power!!! I refer to my Z as a hobby car because Im always doing something with it every weekend. I love the thing. My GF tries to get the idea of selling it when the Z has its bad days. Ive already told her if i sold what else would i get??? Fi Z is the best

Honestly If someone came up to me and said I could have every dollar I spent on FI from plugs to gauges. I wouldnt do it! I could never go back. Even if my motor blew I think it would just cause me to build and switch to twins!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 AM
MoodDude

Having faith in FI engines is like being an Islamic fundamentalist. You have to accept the fact that you're going to blow up sooner or later.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 AM
beastie

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Having faith in FI engines is like being an Islamic fundamentalist. You have to accept the fact that you're going to blow up sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Is F/I worth it?