Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is F/I worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:17 PM
1doberman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is F/I worth it?

I've been reading alot of these threads on forced induction b/c I wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting to before I go this route.

What's scaring me is that I keep hearing about engines dying and transmissions failing after a few thousand miles after going F/I.

Is this normal or are there any of you who have absolutely no problems with F/I? Meaning, do you have the same type of Nissan reliability that you had before going F/I? Or is this like a "no pain no gain, you gotta pay to play" situation?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by 1doberman
I've been reading alot of these threads on forced induction b/c I wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting to before I go this route.

What's scaring me is that I keep hearing about engines dying and transmissions failing after a few thousand miles after going F/I.

Is this normal or are there any of you who have absolutely no problems with F/I? Meaning, do you have the same type of Nissan reliability that you had before going F/I? Or is this like a "no pain no gain, you gotta pay to play" situation?
......Study and research until the answer becomes evident to you....the answer is within you.........
Old 09-15-2006, 02:40 AM
wilric44

Good first question. Because you are new you are probably going to get the do a search response. You have to ask a specific question to get a response here. Three year old information seems to be just as good as new information.

To answer your question, it is not worth it. Why, simply because your asking that question. Most people here do not care about blown engines or cost it what they desire. When it comes time to sell your car, you will have to remove all your modds to sell the car. The mods will not increase the value of your car, it will actually decrease the value because of the wear on the engine. If you do not have extra cash laying around to replace a blown engine, then it is not worth it. Determine what is your goals. One modification calls for another, then another.

One good point for modding in your case, you are surrounded by good tuners to the north and south of you. You gotta pay to play and only the strong and reliable survive.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:28 AM
1doberman

thanks guys.

I'm definitely new to the FI game, and I guess I just thought that I would be able to get hundreds of thousands of miles out of a FI engine...just like I would a standard reliable nissan engine.

But i'm hearing about the costs to replace broken parts, and its not that i don't have the money to do this, its just that I'd rather spend that type of money to other priorities in my life.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:42 AM
1doberman

I hear you man. I'm 27 and bought the Z with money I've worked hard for over the last 5 years. I've already dropped about $9k just on exterior mods, but those will last for the most part. I wanted to make sure i did my due diligence before I regretted a costly mistake, and you guys have been extremely helpful.

I'm still pushing my '99 4 door 4 cylinder accord for daily driving, so getting a break to drive the Z on sunny weekends will prove to be about as fast as I'm going to go for a while...I'm just fine with that.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by wilric44
. When it comes time to sell your car, you will have to remove all your modds to sell the car. The mods will not increase the value of your car, it will actually decrease the value because of the wear on the engine. If you do not have extra cash laying around to replace a blown engine, then it is not worth it. Determine what is your goals. One modification calls for another, then another.
obviously you haven't seen what boosted 350z's sell for........so your statement is not true.

The transmission is very, very strong. One of the strongest gearboxes on the road in terms of what it can handle.

The motor, well, tuning is a big factor. If you're worried about blowing the motor, really, really scared about it, don't boost it.....you can't handle it.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:56 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by chimmike
obviously you haven't seen what boosted 350z's sell for........so your statement is not true.

The transmission is very, very strong. One of the strongest gearboxes on the road in terms of what it can handle.

The motor, well, tuning is a big factor. If you're worried about blowing the motor, really, really scared about it, don't boost it.....you can't handle it.
Sounds about right to me.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Find a local to you with a boosted Z. Have them at least take you for a ride - maybe get them to let you drive the car. I can't say whether FI is worth it for you, but I will promise if you get a chance to drive a boosted Z, your n/a Z will feel less than adequate. All that power you thought you had will be dwarfed in one 3rd or 4th gear pull in a FI Z.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
SaadSindhu

You seem like you have ruled the option out already, like Zivman said just go for a ride or try to get behind the wheel of one. As long as you stay within your boost capacity, refrain from beating on your car which im sure you do if you already have 9k invested, and get it tuned appropriately by an authorized dealer. An advantage of going through an authorized dealer to install your turbo kit is your turbos will be covered under warranty. I kno APS offers warranties on their parts. You will be fine and it does become a different type of car when you go F/I. Prior to turboing the Z is a blast to drive because of its smooth quickness and handling ability, but not so much so if your just on a straightaway. All that will change

Last edited by SaadSindhu; 09-15-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Zivman
Find a local to you with a boosted Z. Have them at least take you for a ride - maybe get them to let you drive the car. I can't say whether FI is worth it for you, but I will promise if you get a chance to drive a boosted Z, your n/a Z will feel less than adequate. All that power you thought you had will be dwarfed in one 3rd or 4th gear pull in a FI Z.
I see he's in Atlanta, go see Sharif/Forged Internals in Marietta! I'm sure he'd be more than happy to give you a ride in his FI beast.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like most things in life.........high risk, high reward. Do your homework, talk to Sharif, ride in a boosted Z and layout a budget. If YOU think it's worth it, then it is to YOU.

Good luck!
Ron
Old 09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

not worth it, but fun as hell
Old 09-15-2006, 12:11 PM
chuquison

Im not boosted but from what I have seen is people with vortech or stillen SC last a long time without a problem, yes I have seen in here that people have posted that the vortech's seals dont last long and that you have to change belts but from what I have seen its farly safer then turbos. someone please correct me if im wrong here, but thats what I have read in here
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

going FI is like screwing a fine @ss chic with no rubber on....
Old 09-15-2006, 12:52 PM
mikz350

before you spend 10k-30k just think about it 2 time cuz your in for lots of fun or could be a night mare too!
is it worth spending 30k for 500whp+ and more no
is it woth selling your car and get the new z06 hell yeah!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikz350
before you spend 10k-30k just think about it 2 time cuz your in for lots of fun or could be a night mare too!
is it worth spending 30k for 500whp+ and more no
is it woth selling your car and get the new z06 hell yeah!
The new z06 is badass, but a legitimate 500 whp FI Z would be more fun IMHO. and an added plus is that the Z isn't a chevy
Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not worth it!

but i would do it again
Old 09-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Gators2001

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
if she is clean then the answer is YES!

so I guess the truth is you will never know until you do it.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
beastie

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT

I love that quote!!! This is my new sig.

Quick Reply: Is F/I worth it?