Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Frankenstein motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenstein motors

well, since theres the original VQ, a rev-up and comming somethe VQhr, im a old school honda guy, so i have always been thinking about this. Frankenstein motors, can you put the head of a revup on a non rev-up block and make it work?
I used to take the block of a cr-v honda and put on a civic si head witht the vtec pistons, with hondas all B series motors are pretty much built the same just diferent power levels,

So instead of a 1.8 i had a 2.0 with vtec, so i had torque *block and HP * vtec head ,for a civic hatch putting down 202 all motor.

can something like this be done, i mean a motor is a motor. you would def. need a different tune if FI and a good EMS.

what do you guys think...if you got a non rev up motor, what about putting a rev up head on or when its out a hr head...i have been thinking this for a while, this might get moved to a all motor thread, but i thought ide post it here first..
Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

The blocks themselves are the same as far as i understand the heads were the only difference. So if you put revup heads on a non-revup block you just have a revup motor now, no different then one that started out as a revup.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

Originally Posted by meatbag
The blocks themselves are the same as far as i understand the heads were the only difference. So if you put revup heads on a non-revup block you just have a revup motor now, no different then one that started out as a revup.
from what i learned the power is in the head and the torque is in the block, so adding a rev-up head would probaly give more power, but maybe the rev up cams could do that. I dont know, but just a thought
Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

either way you are only looking at a 13 hp difference, the bare block is the same, slight mods were done to the pistons, plus a few mods to the heads. of course added variable exhaust cam timing...
Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
o snap its eric

i like the crv-tech setup. That was the setup i was planning on doing befor ei purchased the Z. From what i've been told, to achieve vtech on the crv motor aka b18 if i remember correct needs quite a few tweeks. Not a simple bolt on task. Lastly, how come you didnt opt'ed for the typeR head? And correctly if im wrong, b16 head is sohc while b18 and up are dohc right?

or another alternative, ls-vtech motor. Provides around the same hp as a typeR but you get more torque.

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
well, since theres the original VQ, a rev-up and comming somethe VQhr, im a old school honda guy, so i have always been thinking about this. Frankenstein motors, can you put the head of a revup on a non rev-up block and make it work?
I used to take the block of a cr-v honda and put on a civic si head witht the vtec pistons, with hondas all B series motors are pretty much built the same just diferent power levels,

So instead of a 1.8 i had a 2.0 with vtec, so i had torque *block and HP * vtec head ,for a civic hatch putting down 202 all motor.

can something like this be done, i mean a motor is a motor. you would def. need a different tune if FI and a good EMS.

what do you guys think...if you got a non rev up motor, what about putting a rev up head on or when its out a hr head...i have been thinking this for a while, this might get moved to a all motor thread, but i thought ide post it here first..
Old 09-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the CRV is actually the B20 and it bolts on a vtec head with minor issues...
Old 09-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the b16 is DOHC, and off the si.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:32 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hello,

Correct, B16 is DOHC. There's a few variations of the frankenstein though. It first started w/ B18A (LS Integra) motor w/ B16A (VTECH DOHC) head. The B16 was in JDM civics, etc, in Japan before it was ever brought here (first in the Del Sol and not all..). Technically, you can go B18 or B20B or B20Z (CRV avail in 2 different compressions) w/ either a B16 head or B18 (GSR). A true Honda head can break down the difference and origin (JDM Type-R, JDM Civic Type-R/Si) of the various heads but I'm not one..

Honda frankensteins nowadays (from what I recall from talking to Brian at Hasport) is K-Series. It's much more expensive from what he said but sooner or later the B-Series motors in general will become obsolete so they're planning for the future with their K-series mount kits, wiring harnesses, etc.

While this is a 350z forum, it should be mentioned that the B-series swaps into civics/crx's in the mid-nineties paved the way for the import aftermarket industry's R&D and booming sales that it is today. My 2 yen..

Didn't mean to hijack yo thread homie.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Hello,

While this is a 350z forum, it should be mentioned that the B-series swaps into civics/crx's in the mid-nineties paved the way for the import aftermarket industry's R&D and booming sales that it is today. My 2 yen..
werd!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:10 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
i like the crv-tech setup. That was the setup i was planning on doing befor ei purchased the Z. From what i've been told, to achieve vtech on the crv motor aka b18 if i remember correct needs quite a few tweeks. Not a simple bolt on task. Lastly, how come you didnt opt'ed for the typeR head? And correctly if im wrong, b16 head is sohc while b18 and up are dohc right?

or another alternative, ls-vtech motor. Provides around the same hp as a typeR but you get more torque.
a Si head is easy to find and alot cheaper, plus i was gonna build it anyways. Yes to make the vtec set up work you have to plug a few oil journals.

Last edited by BoOsTedz33TT; 09-16-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Osix350Z
Banned

Cheapest bang for the buck... H22 in an eg or crx i/h/e/slicks welcome to 12's. Old school Honda days.. I miss the all motor days, high revs, and front wheel drive wheel spin... =)