Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TT vs Stillen SC; upkeep, headaches, maintenance...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 11:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT

Yeah my father-in-law has an intake exhaust and throttle body spacer and he is pushing over 428 or so to the wheels....he says that there is only like a 6% drop from crank to the wheels....that I didnt now, and he has an auto with paddle shift!! Nice!

The shifts are a bit slow, however they are working on a tranny ecu flash (yes the tranny has a chip), that will allow faster shift and also a diff gear change. Right now you cannot change the gear ratios or anything, so even buying tires you must be factory or the engine ecu will not work with the tranny ecu.
First off no auto or any tranny in a poduction car has only a 6% drivetrain loss. Second cars since the 80's have had "chips" in auto tranny's, this is not a breakthrough And you can get new gears for new C6's, Ive seen it, AND of course you can buy tires other than the factory....you seem to post a lot of misinformation in general and are quick to jump the gun on people who know better....
Old 10-17-2006 | 12:02 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

I think my boyz TT G would run him no doubt, but the paddles are really nice, by default in auto it takes off in 2nd, which is nice because there is no shift while headed to 65mph! And yes, it can smoke the tires off even in 2nd if you are not careful. I have only driven it once, for about 30 minutes. He had a heart attack just before our wedding last year, so this was a dream come true that he thought he would never achieve. The car only gets fired up, if its lucky every 7 days, driven about 3 days a month. Its the darker of the reds with tan leather, targa top. Z06 Chrome wheels,Z51 package!

The shifts are a bit slow, however they are working on a tranny ecu flash (yes the tranny has a chip), that will allow faster shift and also a diff gear change. Right now you cannot change the gear ratios or anything, so even buying tires you must be factory or the engine ecu will not work with the tranny ecu.
well the g,s auto dosent work like that,i just had infiniti reprogram the tcu to the latest version and it shifts pretty damn good now.are you talking about the vette or the g,s tranny.cause for the vette,s auto you know damn well that somebody out there can reprogam anything gm has.
it is a very uncomplicated ecm compared to the jap or german ecu,s.
Old 10-17-2006 | 12:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

4 shizzel,just be smart and ditch the idea of the stillen.if i did it all over again it would def be the jwt twins.the stillen is allright i have no problems with it (except belt noise once in a while) but the power output sucks for the money spent.granted the torque is right there anytime you want it and its a great dd but you will want more power.

remember back in august 2003 there was really nothing for me to choose from,but now there are a ton of different options.imo save up and go with the jwt twins.i think in the long run you will be happier cause i want more power all the time.it just is not cost efficient for me to change over even if i do sell the kit.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:17 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default Boy ole boy.

Originally Posted by Alberto
First off no auto or any tranny in a poduction car has only a 6% drivetrain loss. Second cars since the 80's have had "chips" in auto tranny's, this is not a breakthrough And you can get new gears for new C6's, Ive seen it, AND of course you can buy tires other than the factory....you seem to post a lot of misinformation in general and are quick to jump the gun on people who know better....

Do your research smarty pants the C6 with the tranny that sits on the rear diff...I dont know if its 6-10% to be exact, however it is EXTREMELY less than most cars. You take what I say as the law, quit ridding my jock man. Check your own shizzil before you go ;correcting me. Yes there has been chips in trannys for many years (G youre smart...get it G?), however changing gear ratios has always been a option, NOT IN THE NEW C6. If it has been done...you can simply post a site, you dont need to hang off my bizzalls and try to discredit everything I say....its like you search the forum for my name....whats your deal bro...lighten up. I am not God, nor do I claim to be. If I have an opinion or experience, I post. I dont sit down and google search everything before posting. I say what I feel. I am real. Can we say that about you. Are you true to yourself, or just trying to be something you arent?

What I meant by factory tire size 'Z'oolander, was the outside diameter. Trust me when I tell you that I have visited shops that have install a Z06 body onto a C6 convertible and complete Z06 make over, to include a roll bar and frame stiffeners (because they (the engineers at Chevy)dont make a conv Z06 because of frame twisting issues). I think they might know a tad bit more than you on C6's! They advise my Father in law, that its IMPOSSIBLE to change your gear ratios on a new 2006 C6. Stick to Z, thats what you know. You forget that I am a American Motor head, before I am a G/Z guy. Like I said, you dont post anything that impresses me. You dont post anything that would help anyone. I guess I should post in 3rd grade slow reading so you dont have to read inbetween the lines...?? I cant believe you actually thought I meant you cant change factory tires...give me a break. I think you have a fuel leak homie.

Again, you may not be upset, but you sure come across rude online. From this point, I will ignor your comments....have fun with your Z. I doing my G thang. Im used the the chicks on me but this is rediculous.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 10-17-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:19 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default Maybe so

Originally Posted by superchargedg
well the g,s auto dosent work like that,i just had infiniti reprogram the tcu to the latest version and it shifts pretty damn good now.are you talking about the vette or the g,s tranny.cause for the vette,s auto you know damn well that somebody out there can reprogam anything gm has.
it is a very uncomplicated ecm compared to the jap or german ecu,s.
But a shop in Richmond says it cant be done....I will post there website in the morning.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:32 PM
4SHIZZIL

4 shizzel,just be smart and ditch the idea of the stillen.if i did it all over again it would def be the jwt twins.the stillen is allright i have no problems with it (except belt noise once in a while) but the power output sucks for the money spent.granted the torque is right there anytime you want it and its a great dd but you will want more power.

remember back in august 2003 there was really nothing for me to choose from,but now there are a ton of different options.imo save up and go with the jwt twins.i think in the long run you will be happier cause i want more power all the time.it just is not cost efficient for me to change over even if i do sell the kit.
Supa G, I have a 1978 CJ5 with a built Chevy 350, NV4500 5sp tranny, aluminum body, with 2 1/2 supension lift, 20 inch custom centerline rims with 315/55/20 tires, the frame has been sanded and painted. The engine has a mild cam, bored .40 over! It might weight 2200 pounds full of gas and oil at best. The new aluminum body weighed a whopping 235lbs. The front end is a one piece fiberglass shell too! We pulled the body off the truck with just two guys! I have been building it for over 3 years now (full restoration with a little extra ). I just want a little extra in my G. My jeep has more ***** than I need. The G is my daily commuter, not my thrill seeker, although its nice and fun as shizzil to drive. I also drive a 1977 buick electra 225 with 68K original miles about 5 times with in the year...not a scratch on the car anywhere, its my pimp ride for when I want to feel like im in highschool again. My wife has a 2.0 turboed paddle shifting Jetta GLI. I dont NEED anything more than what stillen has to offer. If I go twins, it would be just to say that I have twins, I dont need it or care for the turbos much at all. I like the sound of the Stillen SC over a blow off valve anyday. I am red- nizzeck from the ghetto......LOL!
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:34 PM
4SHIZZIL

Called VRT about the twin screw....I am awating a return phone call.
Old 10-17-2006 | 06:10 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I am sure that more power is what you want, but is it what you need? I am sure you have beat up on most cars as is....I cant reply on the Stage 4 and its limits on the engine, because no dyno's are out with the numbers? (ANYONE have any?).

But just like any FI, the block has limits. Start that build fund for the built block, I hear the going rate is 3.5-4K??

YOUR CAR IS SICK!
Thanks! Supposedly the Stage 4 will give me a bump of somewhere around 40-50whp from what I've read and seen...

There are plenty of good arguments for each setup, but I think most choose the Stillen for peace of mind. It's true that this kit can still blow your motor, but with a proper install, break-in, and maintenance, it seems to happen quite a bit less. For the DIY'er it's much easier to install too. The lack of tunability also means you avoid the pitfalls of improper tuning, etc... My car is literally daily driven, about 30miles each way for work, and all over the place on the weekends, so I need something that will last. Since I AutoX regularly and plan to track the car as well, the predictable linear power delivery of the Stillen kit in the low/midrange is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 10-17-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2006 | 06:28 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Do your research smarty pants the C6 with the tranny that sits on the rear diff...I dont know if its 6-10% to be exact, however it is EXTREMELY less than most cars. You take what I say as the law, quit ridding my jock man. Check your own shizzil before you go ;correcting me. Yes there has been chips in trannys for many years (G youre smart...get it G?), however changing gear ratios has always been a option, NOT IN THE NEW C6. If it has been done...you can simply post a site, you dont need to hang off my bizzalls and try to discredit everything I say....its like you search the forum for my name....whats your deal bro...lighten up. I am not God, nor do I claim to be. If I have an opinion or experience, I post. I dont sit down and google search everything before posting. I say what I feel. I am real. Can we say that about you. Are you true to yourself, or just trying to be something you arent?
What I meant by factory tire size 'Z'oolander, was the outside diameter. Trust me when I tell you that I have visited shops that have install a Z06 body onto a C6 convertible and complete Z06 make over, to include a roll bar and frame stiffeners (because they (the engineers at Chevy)dont make a conv Z06 because of frame twisting issues). I think they might know a tad bit more than you on C6's! They advise my Father in law, that its IMPOSSIBLE to change your gear ratios on a new 2006 C6. Stick to Z, thats what you know. You forget that I am a American Motor head, before I am a G/Z guy. Like I said, you dont post anything that impresses me. You dont post anything that would help anyone. I guess I should post in 3rd grade slow reading so you dont have to read inbetween the lines...?? I cant believe you actually thought I meant you cant change factory tires...give me a break. I think you have a fuel leak homie.

Again, you may not be upset, but you sure come across rude online. From this point, I will ignor your comments....have fun with your Z. I doing my G thang. Im used the the chicks on me but this is rediculous.
You need to learn to write a paragraph correctly before coming back at me with nonsense, your making yourself look bad. Reading your posts hurt my head! Im not "fronting" for anybody I see something that is wrong I correct it, Id hope people do the same for me, thats how we learn The C6 CAN have the final drive changed (please learn difference bewteen FD and gear ratios-and you claim to be a domestic car guy)!! You talk about "some shop told my father in law who does C6 Z06 changes told me blah blah" I dont google $hit, Im a car enthusiast who happens to know things. Here--->you, your father in law, and that shop who turns Convertible C6's into Z06's (which is BS as they have different chassis!! No mater how much frame stiffening you do it wont be close or as light!) are WRONG. Look at this link and note the date, its old news, this was one of the first C6's to run such great times, notice he has 3.90 Gears I guess he's lying Dont get so upset when you post something wrong and get corrected...

Proof your wrong with VIDEO---> https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=C6+Corvette

Last edited by Alberto; 10-17-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2006 | 05:55 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Thanks! Supposedly the Stage 4 will give me a bump of somewhere around 40-50whp from what I've read and seen...

There are plenty of good arguments for each setup, but I think most choose the Stillen for peace of mind. It's true that this kit can still blow your motor, but with a proper install, break-in, and maintenance, it seems to happen quite a bit less. For the DIY'er it's much easier to install too. The lack of tunability also means you avoid the pitfalls of improper tuning, etc... My car is literally daily driven, about 30miles each way for work, and all over the place on the weekends, so I need something that will last. Since I AutoX regularly and plan to track the car as well, the predictable linear power delivery of the Stillen kit in the low/midrange is exactly what I wanted.
Peace of mind is what I want, however I get it. Minimizing risk, problems, headaches is what I am looking for... I dont think Stillen supports Stage 4 with the rev-up?
Old 10-18-2006 | 06:27 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default Proof That Your Proof Was Wrong!

You need to learn to write a paragraph correctly before coming back at me with nonsense, your making yourself look bad. Reading your posts hurt my head! Im not "fronting" for anybody I see something that is wrong I correct it, Id hope people do the same for me, thats how we learn The C6 CAN have the final drive changed (please learn difference bewteen FD and gear ratios-and you claim to be a domestic car guy)!! You talk about "some shop told my father in law who does C6 Z06 changes told me blah blah" I dont google $hit, Im a car enthusiast who happens to know things. Here--->you, your father in law, and that shop who turns Convertible C6's into Z06's (which is BS as they have different chassis!! No mater how much frame stiffening you do it wont be close or as light!) are WRONG. Look at this link and note the date, its old news, this was one of the first C6's to run such great times, notice he has 3.90 Gears I guess he's lying Dont get so upset when you post something wrong and get corrected...

Proof your wrong with VIDEO---> https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=C6+Corvette
SORRY TO CORRECT GOD HIMSELF, BUT THAT C6 IS HAS A MANUAL TRANNY. THE LINK DOESNT WORK. SO I JOINED THE FORUM AND WATCHED HIM SHIFT ALL THE WAY DOWN THE TRACK FOR THAT 11.5. I WAS TALKING ABOUT A AUTOMATIC TRANSIMISSION BERT AND ERNIE, YOU KNOW THE ONES IN WHICH YOU DONT HAVE TO SHIFT. Sorry to go back on my word and comment back to you, but I had to let you have it on this one! Next link please!
Old 10-18-2006 | 06:54 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Peace of mind is what I want, however I get it. Minimizing risk, problems, headaches is what I am looking for... I dont think Stillen supports Stage 4 with the rev-up?
according to sam at stillen the stage 3 on a revup is = to a stage 4 on a non revup.
Old 10-18-2006 | 06:59 AM
4SHIZZIL

Thumbs up Sweet

according to sam at stillen the stage 3 on a revup is = to a stage 4 on a non revup.

Nice, now thats music to my ears right there....thanks Supa G.
Old 10-18-2006 | 07:49 AM
dutchboy

Just build and get it over with.
Old 10-18-2006 | 10:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

You never stated in an auto, you said and look up its in bold-in a new C6! Anyways, I wont even bother reading your useless rants and posts anymore-as you seem to have made up your mind before you even started this post. Good luck to you on your future set-up...
Old 10-20-2006 | 02:53 PM
nateg35

I gave you honest a$$ advice and my opinion-if you dont agree with it, thats too bad. If you want me to suck your internet **** and say "yes you are right, Stillens dont blow" (and they have, and do) then find somebody else. I tell EVERYBODY that asks me, weather you go Stillen, Greddy, Vortech it doesnt matter 300whp or 480whp on a stock block, be prepared to build. I dont want people to go through what I did, thats why I post about everything I do on these forums-obviously you havent been in here much. And the reason you dont see more Stillen blowing is because there are much less Stillens than any other S/C, turbo kit out there. The whole point of you starting this is because you want to justify running a Stillen kit on your G-you want people to agree with you. I dont so Im a bad guy?

according to STillen....they are reported 2 blown engines....one is due to faulty installation
Old 12-03-2006 | 02:45 PM
TTRANK

For the most part I agree with everything Alberto has said except when he said not that many had been sold. Stillen told me they have sold well over 500 kits. I don't believe any other FI kit for the Z/G has sold that many.

The stillen is a great kit for people not wanting to build their engine and have an awesome daily driver without going overboard on power.

I have decided to go for more and sell my kit for a TT. It has been great but my addictive personality has gotten the best of me and now it's time for an upgrade.
Old 12-03-2006 | 03:02 PM
rookie

Originally Posted by nateg35
according to STillen....they are reported 2 blown engines....one is due to faulty installation
Late to your post. But not every blown motor has been reported to Stillen. I know of 5 around Socal within the last year. The one guy from Canada definately has an piston compression issue as well.
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:21 PM
doug

i hate reading old threads because you have no idea what form of boost the person had at the time (alberto)
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:23 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by doug
i hate reading old threads because you have no idea what form of boost the person had at the time (alberto)
It doesnt matter if I had ST or TT, my opinions havent changed regarding my views in this thread...

Quick Reply: TT vs Stillen SC; upkeep, headaches, maintenance...worth it?