Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

engine smell issue... need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:48 PM
ryan350zpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine smell issue... need some feedback

hey guys, so its a nice cold day out about 58 degrees in NJ. i couldnt wait to hit it. so im driving to work boosting and sh*t and i feel like my car is kinda running slow. okay so whatever, then i pull into work and i see a little bit of smoke coming from the headlight, nothing major. so i pop the hood and check it out and theres a little bit more smoke coming from the bay(wind blew by couldnt see where it came from) and theres like a burning smell. so i check the oil and its good, the radiator fluid and its good, car vacuums fine, still is making boost, oil pressure is good, a/f is about 15 at cruising speed where its always been... So i dont know if its all related to my feeling my car was running "slow" when im probably just used to it, but this smell is new to me.... thanks for reading,, any feed back would be nice thanks everyone!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by ryan350zpower
hey guys, so its a nice cold day out about 58 degrees in NJ. i couldnt wait to hit it. so im driving to work boosting and sh*t and i feel like my car is kinda running slow. okay so whatever, then i pull into work and i see a little bit of smoke coming from the headlight, nothing major. so i pop the hood and check it out and theres a little bit more smoke coming from the bay(wind blew by couldnt see where it came from) and theres like a burning smell. so i check the oil and its good, the radiator fluid and its good, car vacuums fine, still is making boost, oil pressure is good, a/f is about 15 at cruising speed where its always been... So i dont know if its all related to my feeling my car was running "slow" when im probably just used to it, but this smell is new to me.... thanks for reading,, any feed back would be nice thanks everyone!!!
Maybe one of the vacuum lines or something shifted and is touching the downpipe or turbine housing. Is it possible it was cold enough for it to just be heat off the turbo or downpipe?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:59 AM
ryan350zpower

it could have been because of the cold, and i wasnt really beating on it. Would it still have that burning smell though because of the cold??
Old 10-15-2006, 02:32 PM
bullseye

What kind of burning smell? Oil? Rubber? Ozone/Electrical? Leaves/Paper? Or a sweet, steamy smell?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by bullseye
What kind of burning smell? Oil? Rubber? Ozone/Electrical? Leaves/Paper? Or a sweet, steamy smell?
+1 this info would really help.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 AM
ryan350zpower

its more like a rough smell. not sweet. def. smells like metal... dont think its a rubber hose. i went to start it this morning(36 degree weather super cold!!) and when it turned over and made like a bad grinding metal noise for like 2 seconds and then went to normal. any connection? dropping it off tomorrow to ATX in NJ, they did my install about a year ago.