Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM
BrianLG35C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Synchros are cheap from the factory, its the labor that kills you....
I hear you but the tranny will be dropped when I get my new motor/clutch installed so I'm figuring labor would be a lot less. How many hours did it take you guys to modify and the install?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
clemlover15

when is the next tack day or are the tracks closed for the winter??
Old 12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
dutchboy

Congrats on getting 3rd gear back. What kind of fluid are you using? I really like using the Redline stuff.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
You should do some role races VS the function tuned Z
It wouldnt really be fair (built vs stock block--St vs TT), but Id do it for fun Juan's car is def clean though, and Im sure once he gets to the track he'll represent Function Tuned well.

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
looks like it was a pain getting that tranny in, Glad its done with, be careful on the road and drive safe be carful of all the bad drivers out there, Get any snow yet.
It was actually flurrying on my 1 hour drive home last night, wasnt wet or sticking so it was cool to drive through.

Originally Posted by clemlover15
when is the next tack day or are the tracks closed for the winter??
We have 1 track open in MD, this Saturday is open and next Saturday. Next Saturday I'll be leaving the country to visit family so I actually thought about going tomorrow-then after installing the tranny, I have no desire to race and break my car, I would have thrown $$$$ down the drain again if I break this tranny. Im looking into building my now spare....next season, I'll hopefully be ready to race my car the way I want to and no thave to baby it.

Originally Posted by dutchboy
Congrats on getting 3rd gear back. What kind of fluid are you using? I really like using the Redline stuff.
Thanks, I used Royal Purple 75W-90---meets our GL-4 rating and also GL-5 (for our diffs as well). I've had good success with it in my other car so I figured why not....
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
I hear you but the tranny will be dropped when I get my new motor/clutch installed so I'm figuring labor would be a lot less. How many hours did it take you guys to modify and the install?
Even once you take the tranny down, Id imagine its a few hours for a hopefully master tech to do the synchro swap. It took us roughly 7 hours, with a good 1 hour + break towards the beginning for lunch and to go buy tools to get the wastegates off and crowsfoot wrench heads for the downpipes....Id imagine with a lift and tools off the bat, 5 hours or less easy.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 AM
dutchboy

Nice sig man. Positive thinking...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

<----I did that before the swap man, after doing it, I really dont want to rag my tranny you know...

Last edited by Alberto; 12-08-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
dutchboy

I don't blame you at all, you deserve some enjoyment out of your setup. You'll have to work pretty hard to kill the new version by New Year. But, if you're looking for volunteers, I'll fly out to help.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I wont be working to kill it, but if I want to, I have tons of people here in MD that would love to rag it lol...you doing a build as well dutch?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
wtf no turbo

Function have a lift?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Not as of today, lifts have been ordered and will be installed in 1-1.5 weeks.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
dutchboy

I wont be working to kill it, but if I want to, I have tons of people here in MD that would love to rag it lol...you doing a build as well dutch?
Yes. Sharif's got the car now. It's getting a built shortblock, APS Extreme, ATS Triple disc (thanks for the info by the way), APS 3", HKS FCON, and JWT cams. I think that's most of it. No sleeves, unfortunately. I can't spend any more.

That new tranny should smooth up pretty nicely for you. It's the same version that's in my car. Mine was notchy at first, but after some use and abuse, it's much smoother.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Very nice dutch, sounds like an amazing build. I have around 530 miles on this tranny and its getting smoother and smoother, Ive been trying to drive it as much as I can but its been really cold lately, in the mid 20's to low 30's so I cant even use 3rd (or 4th) because I spin
Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 AM
BrianLG35C

Yes. Sharif's got the car now. It's getting a built shortblock, APS Extreme, ATS Triple disc (thanks for the info by the way), APS 3", HKS FCON, and JWT cams. I think that's most of it. No sleeves, unfortunately. I can't spend any more.

That new tranny should smooth up pretty nicely for you. It's the same version that's in my car. Mine was notchy at first, but after some use and abuse, it's much smoother.
Awesome! Probably the first APS Extreme in the whole midwest! Did you have your G transported or did you drive it down to Sharif's? Where did you buy your G from and serviced, Suburban? We should meet up, I'd love to hear the APS 3"!

Last edited by BrianLG35C; 12-09-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:30 PM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Awesome! Probably the first APS Extreme in the whole midwest! Did you have your G transported or did you drive it down to Sharif's? Where did you buy your G from and serviced, Suburban? We should meet up, I'd love to hear the APS 3"!

I got my car at Pfieffer Infiniti in Grand Rapids, it's about 20 minutes from here. I drove the car down to Georgia. I was getting shipping quotes of around $1,200.00 one way for an enclosed transport. Anytime you want to meet up, let me know. I am always up for a little drive if you want to check out my car.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:34 PM
dutchboy

Very nice dutch, sounds like an amazing build. I have around 530 miles on this tranny and its getting smoother and smoother, Ive been trying to drive it as much as I can but its been really cold lately, in the mid 20's to low 30's so I cant even use 3rd (or 4th) because I spin
Wow, your temps have been almost as bad as ours then. Your car must be a handful, if I remember correctly you are running 285's in the back. After riding in Sharif's car I can imagine how hard it is to gain traction in colder temps and with narrower tires.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Wow, your temps have been almost as bad as ours then. Your car must be a handful, if I remember correctly you are running 285's in the back. After riding in Sharif's car I can imagine how hard it is to gain traction in colder temps and with narrower tires.
Yes I run 285's, and yes its a handful, any time I go WOT, Im always ready to counter steer the car sliding sideways
Old 12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
TiPIACE

bad luck man, but we're you suprised the box would go shifting like that

why the need to be so brutal with the box, not even motoring journos or the BM guys dont drive like that and they dont own the cars

send that video to Nissan and see whether they'd do a warranty job
Old 12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by TiPIACE
bad luck man, but we're you suprised the box would go shifting like that

why the need to be so brutal with the box, not even motoring journos or the BM guys dont drive like that and they dont own the cars

send that video to Nissan and see whether they'd do a warranty job
No I never expected the tranny to last like that, but I didnt think it would go so soon. Yeah it sucks replacing tranny's at an avg of 1X a year, but Id be more upset if I ran what I feel are horrible times with so much power like many people do. Feel free to diasgree with how I race, post your slips and lets see how you do...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Alberto your car really is rediculous! Glad we could help. Have a safe trip.

Quick Reply: **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**