Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo vs. Vortech s/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Ep3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully next season i will have some passes on the procharger but holy F this paint **** is taking forever
Old 11-05-2006, 12:04 AM
617G

Originally Posted by freezeg35
hey andy, looks like your getting the more power itch just like i did. Have you installed the 3.12 pulley on my old vortech yet?
Hahaha...yeah man, I've gotten the itch. I'm putting in that 3.12, 380cc and Greddy EU as we speak, along with Greddy Type RS bov, tranny cooler, walbro and a couple other minor things. My shop just did a 350z with the 3.12 and because of the cold weather it was seeing 10 lbs of boost and dynoed at like 430/340, so we'll see what I can get So far I'm enjoying your vortech very much, but the bug for more power is hard to resist
Old 11-05-2006, 06:13 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by 617G
Hahaha...yeah man, I've gotten the itch. I'm putting in that 3.12, 380cc and Greddy EU as we speak, along with Greddy Type RS bov, tranny cooler, walbro and a couple other minor things. My shop just did a 350z with the 3.12 and because of the cold weather it was seeing 10 lbs of boost and dynoed at like 430/340, so we'll see what I can get So far I'm enjoying your vortech very much, but the bug for more power is hard to resist
I'm confused. The Greddy bov is not made for s/c use and has been tried in the past with less than optimal success. Supercharger psi will not change cause the weather is colder. The amount of boost produced is limited by the pulley size.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 AM
617G

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I'm confused. The Greddy bov is not made for s/c use and has been tried in the past with less than optimal success. Supercharger psi will not change cause the weather is colder. The amount of boost produced is limited by the pulley size.
A BOV doesn't know where boost is coming from and as long as it opens under vacuum, then it will work for an s/c, and the greddy rs does open under vaccum. The flange is also the same size as the Vortech and it is a direct "bolt-on" without any modification. I purchased the BOV from Sharif and spoke with him over the phone about it prior to my purchase. I also spoke with vortech and they said the BOV that comes with a Vortech IS a blow off valve, it's not a bypass valve, (contrary to what many think). It is the nature of the s/c that keeps it open because the BOV sees vacuum until you go WOT. The Greddy has the same spring adjustability as the Vortech to open under vacuum. I guess I'll find out soon enough . Who do you know of that has tried a Greddy RS on a Vortech without success?

As far as 10psi on a 3.12, please refer to the following thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/225915-3-12-dyno-w-vortech-2.html

My car is being worked on by the same guys who just finished Charged's car who is boosting 10psi on a 3.12 pulley, with breathing mods no less. DB350z3469 also stated that he was getting 10psi on the 3.12.

Last edited by 617G; 11-05-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:04 AM
acg

I had a Vortech SC on my G35 for 41,000 miles, it was great to have with zero issues but I needed more power and for the last 3 months have had a APS TT on the car, there is no comparision between the 2 kits.
With more torque and the power kicking in sooner you can not say the Vortech would be a compareble kit, I had almost 440 rwhp and 330trq with the Vortech but the lag was something you had to live with, now with the TT you just put your foot down and the power is there and with 500rwhp and trq I have no complaints whatsoever. Traction is not a big a problem if you know what the best speed is to take off from and from a stop you get to know how to peddle the car until you give it full power.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Ep3

i have a bov on my blower.. with the spring loose it whines at idle b/c there blower is making some (verry little) pressure and is anoying while driving so i tightend it up and is quiet now only makes noise after a shift
Old 11-05-2006, 03:24 PM
bfdd

Originally Posted by sentry65
well most people with turbos are running regular street tires and not a whole lot wider - maybe 275's mounted on their big 19 inch rims. Yeah those guys spin the wheels out in 1st thru 3rd gear all day long and to them that's really cool - means "they have a lot of power" To me, it just means their car isn't very well thought out. The guys running slicks or competition or drag radial tires hook up pretty well and their car can move though

the nature of the vortech is going to help traction in the lower gears. For me, I'd rather have more traction than power cause then I know I can hammer the throttle in any gear at any rpm and it will predictably and consistently go vs having to give it 60-90% throttle in certain parts of the rpm range. This is especially important when you're dealing with turns. It's true a good driver can deal with the turbo's big torque and feel that they shouldn't give much more throttle than a certain point. But still it's nice to know you can stomp the throttle anytime with the vortech and the car won't do anything crazy. This is especially true of the single turbos who really do have more of a peaky spike of torque in the midrange - dynos always look like a pointy mountain

Some of the fastest production cars don't even have huge early torque. The car usually relies on strong lower gearing and good traction, then the bigger power comes in once the engine starts winding up. The Porsche Carrera GT for example has 435 crank torque (around 370 at the wheels) and Ferrari F430 has 343 crank torque (around 290 at the wheels). Aside from so many other things, one of the things that makes those cars as fast as they are is their ability to get such good traction. I see the turbo Z's as being more similar to vipers than those cars. And if viper people were making fun of F430 or Carrera GT people for their pitiful torque then that's their opinion.

There's lots of other things car engineers do to make cars fast other than the torque number. Let's not forget that up high, the vortech holds it's own fairly well in the torque department, and that's where you are usually when you're racing anyway.
The new Z06 has more torque than both those and is faster 0-60 and faster int he 1/4.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah big diplacement has its uses, sure no one would argue against that, but I don't think even the Z06 is faster than a Carrera GT in the 1/4 mile which traps at around 132-134 mph in 11.2-11.4 sec.

the Z06 has around 470 crank torque which is considerably more than 343 yet it's just barely faster than the F430. The F430 is also the faster car around a lot of types of corners

Last edited by sentry65; 11-05-2006 at 03:50 PM.