Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Best Headers with vortech??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
IMO you don't need anything, but if you want more displacement to make the engine bigger, a stroker it is really the only way

sounds to me more like you think the built motor part of the stroker kit isn't needed for the "wimpy" vortech?

raising displacement to me seems like a no brainer improvement for SC's

weird cause I'm running the SSV and making a fair amount of power on a vortech with headers etc
i know your emaking good power iwth the ssv but i am sure you coudl make more with another setup... Specilly since he has a revup engine it woudl be way better if he was using the mrev2 + 5/16" spacer. PLus you have quit a bit of other mods, you dont knwo if the ssv is holding you back from more power
plus you know Don, ask him he los a lot of power with the ssv, even retuned it and still lost power

about he engine. this is over kill already for anythign less than 620 whp. So you add more to complete the stoker kit and is extreme overkill
Arias Extreme .020 over
Pauter Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
1/2" Studs
Darton Mid Sleeves
HKS Gasket

Not saying the S/C is whimpy so dont get sensitive here with me m8t, i am jsut sayign that the S/C is not goin to get anywhere close to the limits of that setup, maybe even of an unsleaved. DEfinatly it will be a safe setup

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-08-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I dunno, IMO a T-trim vortech blower is capable of blowing up the stock engine so a built engine is needed

Darton sleeves by themselves are not needed for a built up vortech, however they're needed for the .3 liter bore portion of the stroker kit

and yeah I'm pretty sure the SSV is losing me some midrange power, but most everyone I've seen with it has lost maybe 10 tq in the midrange with an equal or even greater top end.

I do think the SSV is one of those mods that shifts the powerband a little higher so that upper rpm power beyond 7000 is going to be maybe more consistent than the stock plenum, but at the expense of less midrange power.

Since having a stroker kit means you probably will never rev above 7000 rpms, I'll eventually get a different manifold when someone makes something actually worthwhile for FI. Otherwise I'm not going ditch the SSV until that day comes. My SSV already has additional boost taps etc in it and don't feel like getting that set back up on another manifold until something completely blows it away. I don't understand why no one has made a heavy duty plastic molded manifold yet
Old 11-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking into the stroker and it might be a better idea to go with a 3.7 - 4.0 instead of the 4.2 the revs needed for the Vortech to really hit its powerband. As for as the SSV goes... I lost about 10 TQ and the WHP stayed consistant with the Crawford I had on before and I did feel that loss of TQ... I have not had the time to put the Crawford back on. I also have to get it powdercoated chrome since it is blue at this time and no longer goes with the engine theme...

With more displacement I can up the blower even above the T-trim and hit the 2.87 pulley if I can figure out how to keep the belt from slipping or breaking on me... Or at that time with the engine built, it might be time to look into the APS / JWT twins.

Crawford headers however, will be part of the plan definately.

Is it tax refund time yet?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well if you have a ferrea Ti valvetrain, I wouldn't be too worried about it reving up slower. At least my car with my ATS clutch/flywheel and 3.9 FD with 6MT, the revs are fairly fast as is. I guess I'm just not that concerned with it in my case

Adding more power is going to increase the speed of the revs since you'll be reaching speed sooner with quicker accelleration. This is partly why high whp turbo cars want to slow the revs down because they have to change gears every 2 seconds in the lower gears.

I haven't totally ruled out switching to a TT down the road either

Last edited by sentry65; 11-08-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what I meant, which didnt come out right is that I would want to rev higher than the 7K of the 4.2 since the Vortech power just keeps going up on my dyno charts and there is more in it... the TQ is also not dropping off like in a turbo set up past 5K, it is fairly steady till redline as the HP keeps increasing. If I could build the motor to be bullitproof to the Vortech and raise the rev limit to 8.5K or so I could get another 20-40whp out of just that not to mention the increase across the whole powerband that the stroker would provide... I do like the feel of the strong pull all the way to the redline the vortech gives then when you shift you are right back in the powerband again... Whereas the dynos i see on the turbos the TQ drops off after about 5k or so.....

Last edited by Triji; 11-08-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:17 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Triji
I think what I meant, which didnt come out right is that I would want to rev higher than the 7K of the 4.2 since the Vortech power just keeps going up on my dyno charts and there is more in it... the TQ is also not dropping off like in a turbo set up past 5K, it is fairly steady till redline as the HP keeps increasing. If I could build the motor to be bullitproof to the Vortech and raise the rev limit to 8.5K or so I could get another 20-40whp out of just that not to mention the increase across the whole powerband that the stroker would provide... I do like the feel of the strong pull all the way to the redline the vortech gives then when you shift you are right back in the powerband again... Whereas the dynos i see on the turbos the TQ drops off after about 5k or so.....

i think itd be hot that you try this on a S/C setup =] yah yah twins twins..but not that many S/C projects. its up to you of course..but if you end up sleeving the engine... do some head work you should have no problem raising the rev limiter
Old 11-09-2006, 07:19 AM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I wouldn't stroke the engine much at all if you'd want to rev very much beyond 7000 rpms.

I've just never known very many supercharged engines to do it very well without breaking belts a lot more often. For reving to 8000-8500 rpms, I'd probably look into destroking the engine at that point. But if reving that high is for the sake of making 20-40 more whp, a 4.26 stroker kit should get you more like 60-80whp at a lower rpm and not make the engine work as hard and last longer

Last edited by sentry65; 11-09-2006 at 08:50 AM.