Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

UTEC controlling BOOST! Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
wait....no it does not explain why you made so much boost unless you were using the utec to control boost before, but the actual problem b4 was that you could not raise the boost(control it) at all.....so so somethgin else is up there.
you already saved 600 bucks over an electronic boost controller by having the utec use the boost control feature and you wanna go even cheaper?? lol
If you overboost, the wastegates are seeing no pressure to the vacume port..IE vacume line broken,or off or the diaphrams are torn like mine were.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I agree with you J
I dont think all shops conveniently try to sell EBCs...maybe some out there ... but not all for sure... i mean the utec wasn't wroking properly to handle boost, too little time to reserach the issue, money wasted making it work, more down time to the costumer... i mean as i said other than a few, you can't really say all were converntly trying to make money here... i know of many that basically sold the ebc at cost to try to hepthe customer out.
BUT anyways... hehe 1 more praise d00d, congrats adn thansk for testing and making this stuff work... id really like to see more cars runnign this tsx controller
i see youa re already handling it on a car with the classic tn overboost...
keep us updated

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
The issue did not arise cause most other shops were content and convieniently eager to sell their customers a $650 High tech Boost controler in its place and never even bothered to do any testing of the BCS feature on the UTEC to simplify things.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 12-08-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:36 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Here is an updated tune with the two seperate maps.These are Dyno Dynamics numbers with no correction at all. Notice how the boost pressure drops from peak to redline.Either my actuators are not holding shut, or my turbos are simply out of steam Keep in mind this is a 8.5:1 compression , non sleeved block using standard ARP headstuds and stock headgaskets. No headlift issues what so ever even after 12,000 abusive miles. We build RELIABLE high HP street cars, that are track proven and street driven..
Low boost map was on 93 octane, high boost was on 112 octane.
hey man..good work with the utec..

what actuator springs are you using? I have the yellow from before and i bought the red ones to play around with as well....you using the red one too?

Thanks

TODD
Old 12-08-2006, 07:01 AM
KPierson
Banned

Any reputable tuner would have noticed this issue and feature not working properly and prevented the failure from occuring..Also the UTEC has an overboost fuel cut, that would have prevented any overboosting if it were set properly.
Like any new release, there are always issues and bugs, and as they add features and update software, more features are tested. As always and unlike most other companies, turbo XS always offers FREE updates on the software.Can you say the same for Unichip/HKS/Emanage/Split second???
That doesn't help people who tune themselves. Luckily, I had my overboost fuel cut set correctly, and that is what saved my car on the dyno that day.

I guess when I spend that kind of money, on something as critical as engine management I expect things to A. work right and B. fail on the side of safety. I personally don't feel like I paid a 'testing' price for my UTEC, I paid the full retail price.

Don't get me wrong, I love my UTEC, and I have no plans of getting rid of it, it just upsets me that I spent that much of my hard earned cash on something that, in your words, wasn't even fully tested.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Gman2004

If more shops had made a good faith effort like we did to resolve the issue, this would have been resolved months ago
So are you saying you don't charge your customers to trouble shoot problems on their cars? I have never taken my car to any shop that was willing to fix a bug for free and at $100/hr for shop time I'd rather spend $500 on boost controller and know that the problem would have been taken car of then to pay for trouble shooting time to possibly figure out the problem with no gaurantee that it would get fixed. The only gaurantee would be that you would be fuked with a bill and possibly still have an issue. Chit it took 12 months to figure this out.....that's a lot of labor charges!

Last edited by Gman2004; 12-08-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
IIQuickSilverII

i think what he means is like a flat rate for example... "a flat rate on the tunning, but somethign isn't right and takes much longer to tune, and that is at no aditional charge, thats fair.."

but anyways i have read from peeps that tryed to get this thing to work without any luck....
Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Gman2004

i think what he means is like a flat rate for example... "a flat rate on the tunning, but somethign isn't right and takes much longer to tune, and that is at no aditional charge, thats fair.."
well if a person who bought the UTEC lets says when it first came out and wanted to raise the boost at the time their car was tuned the flat rate would have equated to them working on the car till now...LOL. I'll bet my left nut, both nuts for that matter, that MRC is not that generous.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Gman2004
So are you saying you don't charge your customers to trouble shoot problems on their cars? I have never taken my car to any shop that was willing to fix a bug for free and at $100/hr for shop time I'd rather spend $500 on boost controller and know that the problem would have been taken car of then to pay for trouble shooting time to possibly figure out the problem with no gaurantee that it would get fixed. The only gaurantee would be that you would be fuked with a bill and possibly still have an issue. Chit it took 12 months to figure this out.....that's a lot of labor charges!
No thats not what Im saying ..what I am saying is that I would not use my customers car as a test mule.If it did not work on my car, why would I try it on a customers car? Especially if I were to charge them to be a test mule, thats simply unethical..
Now diagnosing an issue and fixing a "BUG" as you said, is a totally seperate issue, and has no relavance to the issue. A bug would be a condition presenting itself on the car that needs to be fixed..
Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Gman2004
well if a person who bought the UTEC lets says when it first came out and wanted to raise the boost at the time their car was tuned the flat rate would have equated to them working on the car till now...LOL. I'll bet my left nut, both nuts for that matter, that MRC is not that generous.
The feature was not even available when the UTEC was released, it was added in version 2.6 software.. Had more shops took the time to test this feature on their own cars, or biting the bullet on some labor fees for the greater of the 350Z community, the issue may not have taken 12 months to fix. Instead alot of shops took the easy route and sold their customers expensive EBC units This makes me mad in a way, and I feel that some people may have been taken advantage of to some extent.. I just wish more people took the time to explore the features within the UTEC at that point.
Currently I have a customer who we did a big install on, that we are testing some additional features on his car with the UTEC for FREE. However he is a good customer and we are doing it for research purposes with his consent and at his request. This is some of the benifiets of having purchased the system and had the install done at our shop as opposed to buying online.People rarely see this end of the business, when price shopping for parts.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 12-08-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by KPierson
That doesn't help people who tune themselves. Luckily, I had my overboost fuel cut set correctly, and that is what saved my car on the dyno that day.

I guess when I spend that kind of money, on something as critical as engine management I expect things to A. work right and B. fail on the side of safety. I personally don't feel like I paid a 'testing' price for my UTEC, I paid the full retail price.

Don't get me wrong, I love my UTEC, and I have no plans of getting rid of it, it just upsets me that I spent that much of my hard earned cash on something that, in your words, wasn't even fully tested.
This is the exact reason it is best when testing new features to work closely with someone who is very experienced with that product. There are certain tests you could have done to see if the UTEC was controling the BCS prior to running the car on the dyno at full boost.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I agree with you J
I dont think all shops conveniently try to sell EBCs...maybe some out there ... but not all for sure... i mean the utec wasn't wroking properly to handle boost, too little time to reserach the issue, money wasted making it work, more down time to the costumer... i mean as i said other than a few, you can't really say all were converntly trying to make money here... i know of many that basically sold the ebc at cost to try to hepthe customer out.
BUT anyways... hehe 1 more praise d00d, congrats adn thansk for testing and making this stuff work... id really like to see more cars runnign this tsx controller
i see youa re already handling it on a car with the classic tn overboost...
keep us updated
Well I did hear of one shop selling UTEC customers a reflash with it also..
Old 12-08-2006, 09:42 AM
IIQuickSilverII

hehe i know ...hehe that why i said not all show...there are always some out there that sell you way more than you need to

anyways..lets not get this more OT ...=]

when are we going to see results on this guy with the tn kit =]
Old 12-08-2006, 09:58 AM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Since you can ramp up boost, does that mean you can tune utec to bring in boost later in the rpm's to help get traction lower in the rpm's ?
+1.. Any future plans to test this?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
+1.. Any future plans to test this?
No, the UTEC does not currently have gear dependant boost control
Old 12-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

when are we going to see results on this guy with the tn kit =]
If I can get ma as s to brave the cold to open the garge door to dyno today..Its 24 degrees..lol
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM
EM-EFER

If I can get ma as s to brave the cold to open the garge door to dyno today..Its 24 degrees..lol
***** its 21 here
Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Dirty Dave

That is really s***ty that guys wanting to control boost had to spend $600 plus for a boost controller when maybe turbo xs said it wont work on v 2.6 after the fact. If it did'nt work they had no business showing it as in an option in the owners maunal. Sorry just fuming a little about txs. I installed a utec drove it an hour from where I live to pay over $300 for a tune that couldnt even be complete because of all the issues with v 2.6. Of coarse i wasnt offered re-embersement by the tuner he spent his time trying to figure out why it wouldnt work. Just very irritating a " legit " company can get away with pulling crap like that. Sorry if this was off topic ; )
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
That is really s***ty that guys wanting to control boost had to spend $600 plus for a boost controller when maybe turbo xs said it wont work on v 2.6 after the fact. If it did'nt work they had no business showing it as in an option in the owners maunal. Sorry just fuming a little about txs. I installed a utec drove it an hour from where I live to pay over $300 for a tune that couldnt even be complete because of all the issues with v 2.6. Of coarse i wasnt offered re-embersement by the tuner he spent his time trying to figure out why it wouldnt work. Just very irritating a " legit " company can get away with pulling crap like that. Sorry if this was off topic ; )
I have tuned many cars fine on 2.6 software There was a slight bug, but it was fixed easily...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Oleg

Well I did hear of one shop selling UTEC customers a reflash with it also..
If this is the shop that I think you're referring to, they tried to throw a re-flash, an e-manage blue and some high end EBC into the same package...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Oleg
If this is the shop that I think you're referring to, they tried to throw a re-flash, an e-manage blue and some high end EBC into the same package...
maybe they knew you were never gonna go foward with the install anyhow..

Quick Reply: UTEC controlling BOOST! Finally!