Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The reason the VQ35 breaks with FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:53 PM
turismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
I really believe a lot of the motors are built unequally. Some blow due to rods failing and some because rods bolts let go. The newer 05-06 Rev-up motors seem to hold higher boost much better then the 03-05.

They're have been a handful that run 400whp on the stock block without blowing and some have when they were tuned by the same tuner. I really believe the motors that stay together are made on Mondays The rest were made Tues-Friday.

How can you conclude on something like this, when the 06 barely came out. The percentages of 06's to 03-05 is roughly 5% I would imagine.

I hade my 03 boosted for 10k or so miles without a problem at 412rwhp and 8-12psi of boost. So what can you say to the 06's that blow at 350rwhp?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:58 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
The VQ35 rods are different, and ever so slightly lighter than the VQ30 rods. The also have a larger diameter big end. Both the VQ30 and VQ35 rods are forged pieces.

The guys at Arias and Probe just pulled that 500hp number out of their butts. They really have no information to base that claim on and they just threw a conservative number out there for you.

Why would you pull your motor apart to put ARP rod bolts in and not just replace the rods/pistons???? If I'm going that far I'm going to make sure I don't have to do it again.

Because all you have to do is drop the upper and lower oil pan to get to the rod bolts
Old 12-08-2006, 08:05 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Because all you have to do is drop the upper and lower oil pan to get to the rod bolts
If you drop the upper oil pan you have to replace the rear main seal which is a BITCH with the motor in the car. I stand by my original statement :P
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by rocks
Open decks really only distort at high rpms not directly from cylinder pressure. There are open deck 2.5l inline porsche engines making like 600whp, they dont break cylinders.... Just trannys you have shift right, so the rpms dont hit the tq peak while getting on it from the shift. If that makes any sense.
The rod and pistons can tolerate some lateral movements; however, should the sleeves walk & distort, it could bend the rods due to restricted piston proper movement. Additionally, engine knock, detonation and spark misfire will cost the rods to fail, too. There are numerous weak links that exist and unless the tuning and boost levels are properly calibrated the chances of the stock VQ failing when boosted are much higher.

G
Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

^^ wow have you had any major issues? I am tempted to do the TT if I could go 36000 that would be great...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
barthelb
Master

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
^^ wow have you had any major issues? I am tempted to do the TT if I could go 36000 that would be great...
Only issues I've had and continue to have which may and may not be related to the TT setup is one, the APS coolant reservoir spits out coolant causing my car to get air in the cooling system and shredding AC belts by 2 or more a year. Other than that, 2500 - 3000 mile oil changes, watching oil and coolant levels weekly, letting it warm up and cool down before and after driving, and mixing at least 4gal 100 every fill up at the same gas station my car was tuned off of, are probably my reasons for great success. Not to mention an awesome tune and installation, both of which I've had no issues other than the smokey turbos when APS first released the kit. I probably have kit no. 5 of the US or lower.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM
thump_rrr

Hi,

I'm on this site doing some research for a friend looking at a Turbonetics system for his 350Z.

I'm driving a Saleen supercharged (twinscrew) 05 Mustang GT running at 10 psi on stock internals which I installed myself. 11.42 @119.92 1.65 60'

The same question has been brought up in mustang circles.
The mustang is built with hypereutectic pistons and powdermetal connecting rods so they're not the strongest to begin with.

Most of the blown motors failed at relatively low rpm 5000-6000 and relatively reasonable boost levels 8-10 psi.
Most of these motors have failed due to bent or broken rods.
Detonation can raise cylinder pressures from around 800 psi to over 3000 psi. Inadequate fuel and agressive timing is the most likely cause of most engine failures.
There are some companies out there in the mustang field that have run up to 12 psi on stock motors and have not been able to blow them up.
One such company has put so much research into tuning that they have sold over 500 upgrade kits without one single failure.

I have been searching these forums for the better part of 2 days and I still do not have a solid grasp of the inner workings of the 350z fuel system.
In the mustangs returnless systems are running upto 700rwhp.
With a simple search you can find multiple threads explaining both how the system works and different solutions available.
I wish i could find the same answers for the 350Z.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-10-2006, 05:30 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by turismo
How can you conclude on something like this, when the 06 barely came out. The percentages of 06's to 03-05 is roughly 5% I would imagine.

I hade my 03 boosted for 10k or so miles without a problem at 412rwhp and 8-12psi of boost. So what can you say to the 06's that blow at 350rwhp?
Show me an 06 tuned that blew up?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:26 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with BriGuyMax & EagleTangGreen. I was running 10.5psi on my stock block and beat up on it regularly, along with taking it on long hauls around the East Coast. We were putting down about 500whp on 93 octane, and I probably put over 8k miles on it in about 9 months. If I had not been forced to use 89 gas in Nebraska, I am sure the engine would have lasted longer. High altitude, & low octane gas on a 93 tune is a very bad combination..

I think some blocks are built better then others, but the main thing that causes engines to go is tuning.
My stock block took that abuse for 9 months, my built block lasted less then 3 weeks.. Sometimes when built blocks let go, it is because of assembly errors..

As for the weak point in these engines.. when my stock block was torn down, the ringlands were blasted to pieces because of detonation, but there were no problems with the rods. My built block failed both times because of headgasket failure. The headstuds were installed incorrectly and the gasket was not able to maintain contact under pressure.

As for Sleeves, I would say that the 'general' consensus is that if you want to push 550whp or so, sleeving is a good idea. For those of use pushing 20+psi.. I would say it is mandatory.

Just my .02 anyway.

Last edited by BamBam; 12-12-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

The stock block does, and can, tolerate an unusually high amount of abuse, as I had my Procharger 22 months with only head gasket and the heads lifting issue. I was dynoing between 400 rwhp to 410 rwhp on the mustang dyno. In total, I blew my head gasket about 4 times and the last time was definitely due to bad gas, high boost, and it happened at the Pocono NASCAR Raceway.

It could have been worst, if it were the not for the blown gasket.

The 350Z was never made for the amount of boost that we are throwing at it; it is capable of 400 rwhp; how much more do we expect from a mass produced car below 40K, anyway. Personally, I am convinced that upgrading the bolts and increasing the torque on the heads of a stock motor is a big mistake; as I believe that the head gasket is the fail-safe mechanism on the N/A motor; without that pressure release valve, it becomes a time bomb.

Or then again, there could be that particular batch of VQ35DE that does not meet the engineering design tolerance; a sloppy batch, so to speak; and one ends up with a lemon from the get-go.

G

Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
If you drop the upper oil pan you have to replace the rear main seal which is a BITCH with the motor in the car. I stand by my original statement :P

I didn't replace mine when i installed my ARP rod bolts on my vQ35 in my Maxima and had 0 issues

Last edited by chris'smax; 12-11-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:00 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Word BamBam! I am pushing close to 12psi on a stock block. I believe its in the tune, I have a a FCON Pro with the knock senor and always run race gas 110or 112 octane when I run it in boost (i.e the track) so I know if she even sneezes. The dam thing get quicker every week (or I am just getting better) My best time is 12.1 on freaking street tires toyos t1r's and this week with the new boost controller at the same boost and same set up I had to shift at 4K in first and still got 12.2 if my man Sharif let me borrow his Dr's who knows what she will run. Its in the tune Brother.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Word BamBam! I am pushing close to 12psi on a stock block. I believe its in the tune, I have a a FCON Pro with the knock senor and always run race gas 110or 112 octane when I run it in boost (i.e the track) so I know if she even sneezes. The dam thing get quicker every week (or I am just getting better) My best time is 12.1 on freaking street tires toyos t1r's and this week with the new boost controller at the same boost and same set up I had to shift at 4K in first and still got 12.2 if my man Sharif let me borrow his Dr's who knows what she will run. Its in the tune Brother.
That is very impressive. How long have you had it at 12 psi?

G

Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

going on five months now and about 20 1/4 passes on 12psi. and about 75 total to include 1/4 passes at 9 - 10 psi and 5 track days.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by chris'smax
I didn't replace mine when i installed my ARP rod bolts on my vQ35 in my Maxima and had 0 issues
You are in a vast minority. You "should" replace it. Not to mention, most people who don't have experience with ther rear main seal on a VQ end up having it leak on them.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 AM
BamBam

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
<snip> if my man Sharif let me borrow his Dr's who knows what she will run. Its in the tune Brother.
Well, my car is not going anywhere in the near future so if you want to borrow my 305' DR's feel free.. They are good and worn in at this point, so should be decent for the strip. I have only used them for one run (before axle snapped) Otherwise, they have been used for daily driving (about 5k miles).
--B
Old 12-12-2006, 11:22 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by BamBam
Well, my car is not going anywhere in the near future so if you want to borrow my 305' DR's feel free.. They are good and worn in at this point, so should be decent for the strip. I have only used them for one run (before axle snapped) Otherwise, they have been used for daily driving (about 5k miles).
--B
Which half axles did you upgrade to?

Thanks

G

Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
BamBam

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
Which half axles did you upgrade to?
DSS Level5. They are without a doubt much beefier and the outer CV joint is really reinforced. Well worth the added security for those that run the 1/4.

Last edited by BamBam; 12-12-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:50 AM
redman333

Now I've seen no one on here say anything really about spun rod bearings. One of the first comments you made was on the rod bearings and that they don't get sufficient oil. I agree with this. That is why a lot of the shops have been doing all their engine builds with the 06 oil pump. My problem was not the rods, but the bearings. I'm on my 2nd stock motor now( I didn't build the first cause I managed to get it replaced under warranty) Now I am going with a built bottom.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
Show me an 06 tuned that blew up?

How many are turboed compared to 03-05's? You cant make that determination with so few turboed 06's. Plus the amount of knowledge gained over the last 2-3 years, will deffinently help in the 06 favor.

Quick Reply: The reason the VQ35 breaks with FI