Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The reason the VQ35 breaks with FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
Show me an 06 tuned that blew up?
I know of one that blew... Greddy TT, 06' Revup G35, pushing around 480 whp (stock block) and put a rod through the block from what I was told. Not sure if anyone ever did look into what happened.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
I know of one that blew... Greddy TT, 06' Revup G35, pushing around 480 whp (stock block) and put a rod through the block from what I was told. Not sure if anyone ever did look into what happened.
who would build 480 to the wheels on a STOCK BLOCK?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:33 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
Keep in mind if you plan on doing this, you need to have all the supporting mods, (exhuast, fuel return, ecu, ect... and a really good tune) thats not cheap! If you half a$$ it you will have a higher chance on detonating your engine. I would recommend even a minor motor build.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by 300zxSteve
Well, theres a few local guys that have blown their built motors, I believe one guy just blew his second built motor. I cant confirm he was running it properly, just heard he blew it.

Thx for the reply, I wish we knew exaclty what the weak point was, you would think we would have the answer by now, are boosted revup motors holding up better than 287's??

define "blowing" a built motor? there have been guys who have blown out headgaskets from detonation, this is not "blowing" a motor in my book...

who has actually broken a piston or rod in a built motor with arias extreme duty pistons and eagle rods? i havent heard of a single case

please share

Thanks

TODD
Old 12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by redman333
Now I've seen no one on here say anything really about spun rod bearings. One of the first comments you made was on the rod bearings and that they don't get sufficient oil. I agree with this. That is why a lot of the shops have been doing all their engine builds with the 06 oil pump. My problem was not the rods, but the bearings. I'm on my 2nd stock motor now( I didn't build the first cause I managed to get it replaced under warranty) Now I am going with a built bottom.
While on the topic, I'll share some of our methods:
We build out motors with a bit larger oil clearances... rule of thumb, 1 thousandth for every inch of crank diameter...

nissan specs are very tight for a motor intended for forced induction/nitrous/ high revving... we don't use the codes off of the crank and the block to determine bearing size, ALL of our motors are fully blueprinted and the correct bearing is used to achieve the proper oil clearances!

For example:
Nissan's spec for main oil clearances: 1.4-1.8 thousandths (crank diameter 2.3")...

we run at least 2 thousanths clearance, 2.2-2.3 on a higher hp motor...

Nissan's spec for rod clearance: 1.3-2.3 thous.

we run: 2 thousandths as a standard...

the oil is getting to the rods...the motor has been engineered decent for oil supply to the crank, mains, cylinders, rods....we build our motors with the rev-up oil pumps (18% improved effeciency over stock) to further help...

On a side note:
I just pulled a built motor apart that failed on arias original design pistons, first batch, from back in the day, the motor failed because the skirt of the piston broke off (not an issue with arias new standard or extreme duty design)...the main bearings and rod bearings looked great! this is after 35k+ miles of 550 rwhp, tuned on an emanage blue!!! the bearings were totally fine in this case

-TODD

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 12-12-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000

I ran around 460whp on my completely stock longblock for almost 2 years...motor came out last weekend and it was still running like a champ.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:13 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I ran around 460whp on my completely stock longblock for almost 2 years...motor came out last weekend and it was still running like a champ.

Knock on wood I dynoed 472 on a Dyno jet last weekend, and like I said she keeps running stronger. Theres alot more pepole than you think running high hp on stock blocks, and doing fine, just do it right the first time.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:36 PM
BamBam

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Keep in mind if you plan on doing this, you need to have all the supporting mods, (exhuast, fuel return, ecu, ect... and a really good tune) thats not cheap! If you half a$$ it you will have a higher chance on detonating your engine. I would recommend even a minor motor build.
I will note this person's car was built very similarly to mine... Fuel, exhaust, clutch, etc... we both ran 480 - 500whp on stock blocks... it does boil down to tune most of the time...
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 AM
YungMun

i thought someone put up a post earlier that stated the skyline is nissan not infiniti??? i read it, not sure where or who posted it. jus remember everyone on there making jokes to the G35 guys, cuz they were hoping for infiniti not nissan...
Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 AM
punish_her

Originally Posted by YungMun
i thought someone put up a post earlier that stated the skyline is nissan not infiniti??? i read it, not sure where or who posted it. jus remember everyone on there making jokes to the G35 guys, cuz they were hoping for infiniti not nissan...

Um yeah. Hey bro you might want to double check which thread you are replying to.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 AM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by BamBam
I will note this person's car was built very similarly to mine... Fuel, exhaust, clutch, etc... we both ran 480 - 500whp on stock blocks... it does boil down to tune most of the time...
I would not run a 03-05 over 450WHP on a stock block if I wanted the car as a DD clocking over 20k miles a year.

Theres people that have had great luck and some didn't. Honestly I never boosted my motor stock b/c I was a ***** and didn't have any place I could trust with the tune at the time.

I really do believe from what we have saw so far with the HR motor disection, I will garantee we will see quite a few 500+whp stock block Z's out there.

BTW did the blown car come from AAM?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM
BamBam

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
I would not run a 03-05 over 450WHP on a stock block if I wanted the car as a DD clocking over 20k miles a year.

Theres people that have had great luck and some didn't. Honestly I never boosted my motor stock b/c I was a ***** and didn't have any place I could trust with the tune at the time.

I really do believe from what we have saw so far with the HR motor disection, I will garantee we will see quite a few 500+whp stock block Z's out there.

BTW did the blown car come from AAM?
Well honestly I don't think he put more then 1,000 miles on it before it popped. Heck it was probably less then 500 miles.
I agree, if you want reliable, not a good idea to push the low-to-mid 400's on a stock block.
As for location, yes you’re correct.
--B
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
derekinthez

[QUOTE=300zxSteve]Well, theres a few local guys that have blown their built motors, I believe one guy just blew his second built motor. I cant confirm he was running it properly, just heard he blew it.

Another Unicorn?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 PM
kh_08

I have a '03 Z 287 hitting 70k miles. I daily drive my car and need it to be reliable, but want some extra hp. What do you guys suggest for a good reliable hp/boost range for a car like mine w/ stock internals. I will make sure to get a good tune w/ fi, just wanted to know/
-thanks and sorry if I sound like an uneducate
Old 02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
overZealous1

read the last 4 pages or get with a shop that knows what they are doing. do a search for successful builds not broken ones. hours of reading for ya.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by kh_08
I have a '03 Z 287 hitting 70k miles. I daily drive my car and need it to be reliable, but want some extra hp. What do you guys suggest for a good reliable hp/boost range for a car like mine w/ stock internals. I will make sure to get a good tune w/ fi, just wanted to know/
-thanks and sorry if I sound like an uneducate
I can't speak for the others, but a stock VQ can have 400 rwhp safely with the JWT BB-530 TT; I know of a bunch of drivers who have had the JWT setup for over a year now with no blow ups.

G