Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G3po
The advice shoulda be ,

a) keep outta boost
b) keep RPM below 4500rpm
c) vary the load and RPM, no "extended cruising" at constant load and RPM, Chro-molies will not breakin properly at a constant cruise. They need to be "loaded and unloaded" briskly during the first few 100 miles. And contrarily ,OEM style Ductile Iron rings will break-in under almost any conditon just fine.
The first 150 miles or so were city driving (on and off throttle). Even on the way to Socal, I was varying the throttle and rpms...keeping it under boost and under 4500rpms.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 PM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go with the 4.2L kit and call it a day!!! After that let me drool over your car and give me a ride in it too so i can dream about it when i go to sleep later that day.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Devil Z

Alex, you wanna sell me your chassis? Lol.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:53 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie
I say you or someone ask GTM to sponsor you with their stroker kit.....

How many customers will have an extreme kit and all the supporting mods including the EM to support the the power potential?

Perfect testing situation to me....
I do not think that will happen. I believe the guys at GTM have put a lot on the line for the parts they have developed. Not sure they would be able to do freebies... But of course it never hurts to try.

There are a few looking to push the limits, but I would guess GTM would prefer to use their own car as the test-bed and 'Example' of what is possible with careful planning and tuning. Keep an ear out... I think their APS Extreme is close to final tuning...
--B
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like it or not, the first 30 mins of an engines life will be at idle, as the technician is checking for leaks, making final adjustments, and purging the cooling system. We have started to do a loaded dyno break-in now, in order to establish a consistent break-in methhodology for us. This is simliar to the method used to break in a motor on an engine dyno. But honestly, break-in likely had nothing to do with this engine failure, IMHO.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Enron Exec

If you decide to sell the FCON V-Pro ,I'd be game, please give a pm if you decide to part out. Again sorry for the situation.
No no! Sell it to me!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Z Esq.

I realize you probably hate to start a fight with the people who you have worked with, but someone seriously owes you a working engine. I am an attorney, and this falls squarely under sever different possible areas of recovery, including negligence, products liability and a couple different warranty areas. If in fact your diagnosis was correct on what caused the failure - well there is your culprit, and I would hope they would man up and fix their mistake.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
But honestly, break-in likely had nothing to do with this engine failure, IMHO.

I agree
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 AM
BamBam

Originally Posted by Z Esq.
I realize you probably hate to start a fight with the people who you have worked with, but someone seriously owes you a working engine. I am an attorney, and this falls squarely under sever different possible areas of recovery, including negligence, products liability and a couple different warranty areas. If in fact your diagnosis was correct on what caused the failure - well there is your culprit, and I would hope they would man up and fix their mistake.
I would love to agree with you on that, but some businesses do not see it that way. Others figure if they hold out long enough, you will give up, and some others figure they can wiggle out of any concrete blame by putting it on others..

It is difficult enough if you and the shop are the only entities involved, but when you add in another shop to the mix (All they have to do is accept it into their service bay and the original shop can claim the 2nd shop removed/replaced whatever is reported as broken trying to place blame on the original shop). I am sure in actual court, it is a winnable case, but that is going to take a long time to resolve... What to do now is the question.

I am not by any means saying let the original shop off the hook for accepting responsibility, only that it will most likely take a good deal of time and persistence to get any type of compensation. (This only applies to shops that are not willing to right what they have done wrong…. There are plenty of shops that will ‘Do_the_right_thing’ and work with immediately to resolve the problem). --B
Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Alex,

Sorry to hear about this. Only you can make the right decision, and I'm sure that, in the end that's exactly what it will be.

darren.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Nathan

Has this motor been stripped & a full diagnossis been carried out?
If this has not been done, then these six pages in two days is just speculation & guessing, some of which maybe correct
Until you know what the problem is, dont play the "Blame Game"
Old 12-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by Nathan
Has this motor been stripped & a full diagnossis been carried out?
If this has not been done, then these six pages in two days is just speculation & guessing, some of which maybe correct
Until you know what the problem is, dont play the "Blame Game"
it's in the process right now. no one's blaming anyone right now. But Sam's already sure what the problem is. We'll see when it's apart.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
BamBam

I would give Sam's word as a pretty solid definite. He has a lot of experience building engines, and repairing some serious disasters. In my working with Sam off-and-on over the last 9 months, he will not say anything about an engine until it is something he is willing to stand behind. I trust his judgment implicitly and know he will do the best he can for every person that walks through his doors.
Just my opinion of course.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by BamBam
I would give Sam's word as a pretty solid definite. He has a lot of experience building engines, and repairing some serious disasters. In my working with Sam off-and-on over the last 9 months, he will not say anything about an engine until it is something he is willing to stand behind. I trust his judgment implicitly and know he will do the best he can for every person that walks through his doors.
Just my opinion of course.
And mine.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
it's in the process right now. no one's blaming anyone right now. But Sam's already sure what the problem is. We'll see when it's apart.
Nitrouz
My comments were not directed at you as you have not tried to apportion blame.
But lot of the post's have been telling you to sue & get a lawyer without knowing whats gone wrong.
The way I read it, unless the fault is absolutly obvious ( wrong ring size, wrong ring gap, to much or little piston clearance, blowen or cracked piston) its going to be very difficult to lay blame or more correctly, get anyone including yourself to put their hand up and accept blame.

Last edited by Nathan; 12-21-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:49 PM
failsafe306

If you decide to sell the FCON V-Pro ,I'd be game, please give a pm if you decide to part out. Again sorry for the situation.
Originally Posted by Enron Exec
No no! Sell it to me!

Voltures!!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:06 PM
03performz

Nitrouz your car is rad(<-yup, I'm bringing it back) and I'd stay w/ the project. I'd at least see that whomever was responsible for the failure would fix the prob. and then reassemble. There definitely seems to be some responsibility here that isn't being accounted for. Good luck w/ your investigation. I hope that the parties responsible will take care of this, as they should.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 PM
350zex

Man that sucks. When I saw your Z it was perfect in every aspect, I wouldn't have changed a thing on it. I can understand your plight, pouring all that work, money and love into something and having it turn out that way can really be a bummer. If you're really gonna get rid of I'd say go for a 911 turbo or a GT3, have that Z look and you really can't beat a Porsche.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Zilvia

well if you do decide to part out and sell

i want dibs on the exhuast and Top Secret Diffuser

but i hope it all works out for you. G/L
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 PM
ctwentytwo

Screw this dude. Your car is one of the most bad-*** cars out there. I was waiting for it's debut before I posted comments, and now this. I feel for you man. Your car was an inspiration to me and I'm sure most of the C-West Army. I hope Alyssa lives.

Or if you pull the plug on Alyssa, why not stay in the Nissan family and get the new GT-R? I'm sure I'll be looking at your modified GT-R and crapping my pants...

Quick Reply: My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...