Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Heat wrap question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didn't wrap my crawford headers and coated them

figured I'd like them to last
I might have been more willing to wrap a cast iron turbo manifold though
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
So in a nutshell you're saying it's not best to wrap?

no, he's saying that wrapping is more effective and not as dangerous to the material if you go ahead and have it ceramic coated first....I think.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
So in a nutshell you're saying it's not best to wrap?
No, I wouldn't say that.

I like the wraps a lot. It really works!
But when you wrap it, you can expect a shorter life from your headers.

How much less?.... I cannot say.
Only first hand experience can give an idea of the typical life expectancy and I've never experienced header failure by this mechanism. I only know that an increased temperature on the steel will reduce the life expectancy to some degree.

There is also the weld joints that will be under additional stress from the added flexure caused by the hot pipes expanding and cooling. Good welds will hold up better to the stress.

If money were no object, do both the coating and a wrap. If it breaks, get new ones. But money is never "no object".

If you have a set of expensive headers, the coating is a better investment.
With cheap Ebay headers, it may not be worth the added cost.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:33 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if the wrapping is different on airplanes, but i used to wrap the turbo mooneys systems with heat wrap. never had a problem with cracking due to the heat. just vibrations, found stress cracks on welds when i would do a dye-penetrate test on the engine mount.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:55 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCARBANDIT
i dont know if the wrapping is different on airplanes, but i used to wrap the turbo mooneys systems with heat wrap. never had a problem with cracking due to the heat. just vibrations, found stress cracks on welds when i would do a dye-penetrate test on the engine mount.

ummm and how would you know the cracks were due to vibration and heat didn't play a part?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Last edited by ZCARBANDIT; 01-17-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

the cracks were all at the welds, manily near where the mount bolted up to the airframe and where the turbo bolted up. the owner didnt use cowl flaps a whole lot so..plus the heat wrap was faa certified so it wouldnt be if it would cause stress cracks due to heat.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:50 PM
3.6z

From what i understand if the car is a daily drive with low boot let say below 12psi i don't think heat wrap would be needed. i might be wrong, but heat always tend to crack the weld. Also, how many of you guys have noticed the difference in EGT after wrapping the EM?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Skrilla

the 1st DP I made for my Talon cracked after 3yrs (wrapped for 2yrs) My new DP has been going for 5yrs, without a wrap and no problems. I've found them to be good in terms of performance by lowering engine bay temps. Now instead of using wraps to lower temps I have better fans, bigger radiator, vented hood and run more boost to match the performance. I don't have to worry about replacing a DP every few years, everything else that could've been damaged from the engine heat has it's own wrapping. Replacing good parts gets old fast...I would rather just go without and find an alternative to the minimal gains it provides anyway, like more boost
Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 AM
znot

+1
while waiting for miscl parts(gauges, plugs etc), i vented, if you can call it that, the hood by removing the rubber/seal piece near rear of hood, and it seems to work cause i "see" heat coming up between hood and bottom of windshield when stopped....to me, less heat, better for engine bay and more so when the tn kit is installed......will also heat wrap whatever else that i can, especially the ac lines and wires near the turbo exhaust area.........
Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Meatshackle

I just did my turbonetics wastegate relocation installation and I heatwrapped every turbonetics pipe plus my oil return line and ac line. I didn't expect the amount of smoke that I got after my first couple of small runs to make sure I put it back together correctly. The smell is like no other also.

Everything seems hotter under the hood now, but maybe it's all of the smoke and stench playing with my mind. I don't remember my intercooler to maf pipe being hot before.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
QuadCam

that's odd.....when I heat wrapped my pipes on my TN kit, I didn't get any smoke or smell from the wrap.

I used the Thermo-Tec Copper-coated insulating wrap. I ,also, wet all the wrap before applying,and then allowed it to dry for a few days.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the DEI wrap and it smoked really bad on my headers. The thought of getting the fire ext. crossed my mine. Just got done yesterday wraping all my TN kit.

I hope to get it on in the next several weeks. I just work to much. Need to take some days off to get it done.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Meatshackle

I also used the DEI so I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one looking for something to put out a fire. Did your smoke last the 100-200 miles that was stated before? I've only put about 10 on since I put it back together so I need to get to work so I can drive my car without people trying to get me to pull over.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that there may be some other things to consider looking from a different perspective. If header wrap keeps more heat in then it also prevents them from cooling down as quickly which could be beneficial in cold climates where you would have a quick hot to cold switch after driving your car. This means it wouldn't be as sudden and would be more gradual which could be easier stress wise on the welds.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:41 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by Meatshackle
I also used the DEI so I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one looking for something to put out a fire. Did your smoke last the 100-200 miles that was stated before? I've only put about 10 on since I put it back together so I need to get to work so I can drive my car without people trying to get me to pull over.

Does it really smoke that much? scary!!!! The Thermo-Tec Generation II Copper wrap had no smoke whatsoever. I wonder if it is a DEI thing.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems both sides have been presented - but I haven't seen any mention of spool? Possibly because the turbo systems being run have little lag, and small distance to the turbos. In larger piping / larger turbo setups, coating and wrapping help to keep temps up and exhaust energy in the pipes resulting in quicker spool. Has anyone noticed that on the Z?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

bored at work...

So just been reading everything on this site...

question wrapping/coating stock 07 HR headers results in what???
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
SmallTuner

no need for them.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

figured...thaanks k boo bai