Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech and 2.87

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Bwicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech and 2.87

Hey guys, I was wondering that If i go and put the 2.87 pulley on my vortech would it be a big problem on stock block? I guess my main concern is fuel?

Following mods are :
Cams
SSV
Headers
Test pipes
Custom exhaust
Unortho pulleys
1 step colder NGK's
Vortech kit with 3.12 pulley
I've been running the car like this for over 4 months and about 5-6k miles . Not a single problem at all.

I want the 2.87 pulley with a nice Safe tune from GRD. just wondering what you guys think? Thanks! Also any acc's for the vortech to help belt slip or for more power?

Btw I plan on gettting a built motor this summer, but I don't want to blow this one lol.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Bwicked

Btw, Do i need another belt for this pulley? and reccomendations on sizes/ brands? thanks!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
dimebagdolf

You'll want to upgrade to a CJM fuel return system for sure.

I'm thinking about just going to the 3.12 myself and my shop recommended upgrading my fuel system. And you'll need a shorter belt anytime you go with a smaller pulley.

I think Sentry 65 is running the 2.87 pulley on a stock block in the hot southwest and he seems to be doing well.

SUBSCRIBING
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
imalazeeass

an upgraded fuel system is not really necessary for the 3.12 is it? I guess it doesn't hurt though.. and by fuel system you mean an upgraded pump right?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Bwicked

What does the return fuel system do exactly as a benefit? Sorry for being ignorant to Fuel modifications guys lol, but learning is a process. 430 whp with the 3.33 pulley dime? at 7 psi? that dyno jet #'s nice #'s though, I havent dynoed my kit yet but I was hoping for 440+rwhp where I'm at and a bit more when i get teh 2.87 I'd just like to go over 450rwhp for now. ZCG cold air intake i noticed, it goes over the vortech?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can run the 2.87 just fine on the stock bottom end, but you'll need bigger injectors like around 550cc's or at least 440cc's and then a walbro fuel pump if you don't have one.

A return fuel kit probably doesn't hurt either - I'm running one, but there's people with the 2.87 that are getting by just fine without one.

as far as numbers, expect around 30 more tq from 4500 to redline and then from 2500-4500 it will add 10-30 tq

I'd go for it. If you don't already have them, I'd highly recommend an oil cooler and bigger oil pan/spacer. A slim version koyo radiator would never hurt either

you just want to make sure the engine is going to stay happy. Since my car isn't a daily driver, I mix in 101 octane fuel with 91 to get around 95-96 octane to increase the threshold against detonation just to be a little safer

My car is going back in the shop next week for water injection, new exhaust, and some handling stuff. My last dyno the belt was slipping at 10 psi around 5500 rpms. I'm doing the TIMROD belt fix and going to use a better quality belt than the one I've been running.

For my setup, with the belt not slipping at 10psi anymore, dual 2.5 exhaust (compared to single 3 inch nismo) and water injection to cool the intake charge, I'm hoping to hit around 450-460whp on a dynodynamics dyno with around 370-380 tq at around 12 psi. Dynojet would probably be higher - like 480whp and 395tq? Could be getting ahead of myself though.

Last edited by sentry65; 01-17-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Bwicked

I run nothing but 93 in my car all day long. would that hold up? I don't plan on getting bigger injectors until summer, will stock ones support it fine? is it unsafe or will i just be losing some potential power? where do i get that timrod belt fix btw lol? mind if i ask what times u ran?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:38 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I really wouldn't run the 2.87 pulley with stock injectors - that's just not going to be safe because they'll be almost maxed out and could fail. The injector size really won't have any real effect on power.

You'll need something that can scale the injectors though - engine management or ECU flash. I don't run the SS box the vortech comes with and don't remember if it can scale injectors or not. If it can, it won't go up very high

93 octane is fine - just depends on the tune obviously. I just like to be extra safe is all so I run higher octane - which at $5.99 for 101 octane, it's not cheap putting half of that into the tank

I haven't been to the 1/4 track yet, but will probably soon - everyone keeps asking me to

TIMROD is a member here who came up with a new way to re-route the vortech belt. He's posted info on it before in other threads. I'll post more info on it a little later - I made some different diagrams for my installer
Old 01-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Barzten1

I just put the CJM return fuel system in my Z with 550 injectors and a 3.12 pulley. When we were tuning it I was losing fuel pressure at 6500 rpm and we couldn't figure out why. Any insight?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
dimebagdolf

Bwicked,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes my numbers are Dynojet numbers.
I can email you a copy of my dyno sheet it you'd like.

From what I understand, the fuel return system will just support better fuel supply to the engine than the stock system will. This is everything but the pump and injectors. My tuner just feels that because my engine was so efficient with the trim level I'm at, that it would be a good saftey net to have as to not run out of fuel on the top end.

The CAI replaces the stock air filter. The tube goes out the factory inlet into the bumper area. Looks alot like the way the Turbonetics intake sits.

Barzten,

That's really odd that you're losing fuel pressure. You're running a Walbro aren't you?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:06 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I have the same issue with fuel pressure dropping with the CJM system, but think it's something weird with the fuel pump assembly or the fact that I'm not using the SS box which has a parameter to boost the auxilary fuel pump for additional fuel pressure. I ended up using an MSD booster pump - which works great so far
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
sentry65
the burninator

here's TIMROD's belt solution with a slight modification:

first pic is the stock setup
2nd pic is TIMROD's solution plus the addition of another idler pulley right under the supercharger pulley which my installer came up with

it definetly wraps around the crank pulley and power steering pulleys more and puts some needed tension on the upper most idler pulley before the supercharger pulley.
The additional pulley under the supercharger wraps more belt around the pulley
Attached Thumbnails vortech and 2.87-stock_belt_setup.jpg   vortech and 2.87-new_belt_setup.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 01-18-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Gilley

Bwicked, if you get the 2.87 pulley, I'd be interested in getting your 3.12.

I'm also considering the 2.87 myself though. I've already upgraded to Walbroel fuel pump, 440 injectors and CJ Racing fuel return system. But the rest of the motor is stock. I just don't know right now.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Bwicked

ok so if i did the Timrod fix I have to purchase a new RIBBED pulley as well correct?
And for Gilley, that would be great actually . I'll let u know as soon as It happens. I'm looking to get one today!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Bwicked

Btw, just a question thats been burning my mind lately lol. How much does my Z weigh? its a 03 Touring Z loaded with everything. rough estimate.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
sentry65
the burninator

no you'd need an idler pulley with a flat surface instead of ribbed

nissan used to say the stock touring Z's weighed around 3250 lbs
Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Barzten1

Originally Posted by dimebagdolf
Bwicked,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes my numbers are Dynojet numbers.
I can email you a copy of my dyno sheet it you'd like.

From what I understand, the fuel return system will just support better fuel supply to the engine than the stock system will. This is everything but the pump and injectors. My tuner just feels that because my engine was so efficient with the trim level I'm at, that it would be a good saftey net to have as to not run out of fuel on the top end.

The CAI replaces the stock air filter. The tube goes out the factory inlet into the bumper area. Looks alot like the way the Turbonetics intake sits.

Barzten,

That's really odd that you're losing fuel pressure. You're running a Walbro aren't you?
Yeah I have a Walbro fuel pump too.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey sentry , brazen

do you guys think that you cant get the fuel you need is because the syphon hole drilled out is to large or not large enough ? and isnt keeping the pot full enough when you need the fuel the most ?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I have no idea, I didn't install the fuel pump or fuel system, but my installer is out of ideas other than replacing the pump assembly. I'll just wait for Charles to come out with the twin pump system.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Bwicked

Can someone tell me what belt size i need for the 2.87 pulley? I also have the Unortho steering and acc pulley on there as well. I had the crank but it supposedly had to be taken off in order for the supercharger to go on with my 3.12 pulley. can someone steer me in the riht direction please?

Quick Reply: vortech and 2.87