Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech and 2.87

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:11 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

93 inch same as the 3.12 pulley
Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Bwicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for sale

Originally Posted by Gilley
Bwicked, if you get the 2.87 pulley, I'd be interested in getting your 3.12.

I'm also considering the 2.87 myself though. I've already upgraded to Walbroel fuel pump, 440 injectors and CJ Racing fuel return system. But the rest of the motor is stock. I just don't know right now.
Pm'd you, its for sale
Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Bwicked

Default o wow

Originally Posted by booger
93 inch same as the 3.12 pulley
i was reading that but couldn't believe it is there a good belt/ particular brand you'd recommend? would my local NAPA have it as well? what do they go for?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:17 PM
booger

napa $35 same as gates
Old 01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Bwicked

napa $35 same as gates
Nice and thanks for the help. I'm interested in your T-trim btw lol, bt I'll be honest I don't have the $$ to splurge on another blower. Give u my polished blower as trade and small cash lol?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
imalazeeass

looks like the same belt fits lol and man, i needed the 3.12 also but i ended up buying a new one.. we should've just traded :P
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Barzten1

hey sentry , brazen

do you guys think that you cant get the fuel you need is because the syphon hole drilled out is to large or not large enough ? and isnt keeping the pot full enough when you need the fuel the most ?
We drilled it out as told but not a measured amount. What would sound more logical too big or not big enough? I spent 4 grand with new mods and lost 30hp
Old 01-19-2007, 02:52 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah sounds like the exact issue I was having

my tuner was confused why when he'd have the EMS ask for more fuel, that he wouldn't get it, so I went to bigger 550 injectors. Still didn't solve it, so went to 750cc injectors - which we KNOW will flow enough and still no improvement. It wasn't until we started forcing the pump to work harder at certain boost levels with the MSD booster pump that we started getting reasonably normal a/f, but it's still not perfect - runs too rich down to 10 around 5500, then back up to 11 at redline.

I can only hope that the twin pump setup will work better. The walbro is powering cars making like 100-150 more whp than my car, so none of us get why we have the need to overdrive the pump, but it appears to have worked for now

My AAM ECU flash was horribly too rich (8's). I burned out my cats and replaced them with AAM cats which didn't fit right and needed to be cut up to align with the exhaust. AAM gave me a $50 gift certificate to make up for the $200 in labor I spent on their messed up cats - I didn't have time to send them back and get a different set. So not too happy with AAM. Probably going to steer clear of them from now on. I'm waiting on the Cobb ECU tuning software to come out to really flatten out the fuel curve and not rely on my SAFCII for fuel tuning anymore

Last edited by sentry65; 01-19-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:15 AM
booger

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah sounds like the exact issue I was having

my tuner was confused why when he'd have the EMS ask for more fuel, that he wouldn't get it, so I went to bigger 550 injectors. Still didn't solve it, so went to 750cc injectors - which we KNOW will flow enough and still no improvement. It wasn't until we started forcing the pump to work harder at certain boost levels with the MSD booster pump that we started getting reasonably normal a/f, but it's still not perfect - runs too rich down to 10 around 5500, then back up to 11 at redline.

I can only hope that the twin pump setup will work better. The walbro is powering cars making like 100-150 more whp than my car, so none of us get why we have the need to overdrive the pump, but it appears to have worked for now

My AAM ECU flash was horribly too rich (8's). I burned out my cats and replaced them with AAM cats which didn't fit right and needed to be cut up to align with the exhaust. AAM gave me a $50 gift certificate to make up for the $200 in labor I spent on their messed up cats - I didn't have time to send them back and get a different set. So not too happy with AAM. Probably going to steer clear of them from now on. I'm waiting on the Cobb ECU tuning software to come out to really flatten out the fuel curve and not rely on my SAFCII for fuel tuning anymore
When you desribe your troubles . I cant help but think you have a restriction some where Sentry . Because you say you can get enough when you increase the voltage to the pump and make it work harder
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 AM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I dunno,

we've changed out the injectors, the pump, rechecked the pump assembly a coupld times, adjusted the fuel pressure regulator and even swapped it for a known good one. I think we even tried using some different pieces from the APS TT kit and it doesn't change. The only thing left at this point is maybe there's something about the pump assembly or something isn't sealing right.

I'm kinda going by my installer's word here because I don't have enough mechanical knowledge/skill to know what I'm doing with fuel pump assemblys and fuel systems. I've run many ideas by my installer that other people have said it might be but he just says he doesn't know, that he's taken the pump assembly out so many times and to him everything always looks good. I suppose it couldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion from another shop, but then I'm just paying more labor for something that might not fix it.

I think at this point I'll just get the CJM twin pump assembly when it comes out, where it should work the right way from the start. I thought about seeing if I could get the APS twin pump assembly just by itself, but that's going to be like pulling teeth trying to get APS to sell just that part.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:36 AM
booger

Im sure Phunks fuel system is going to be kick *** . But its really going to over kill for yours and my set ups . And it may not even fix your problem . Bummer you have to go thru that .
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Bartzen1: Please give us a call when you have a chance so we can try and work out your fuel pressure problem. The S1 system should have no issues holding fuel pressure until your over at LEAST 500rwhp, or maybe 475rwhp with a supercharger but that is a conservative rating (both should do about 50hp more in ideal circumstances). I would like to solve your issue. I really do not like when our customers are not getting what they paid for, so lets figure this out!

sentry: we plan on also making a single pump assembly just like our twin pump for the road racing guys. perhaps you would like to test that unit? It will be about $100 cheaper since its only 1 pump, and it is going to have the provisions so the second pump can be added later. I will talk to Brandon and see if we maybe have the time to run one on the CNC next week if your interested.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:30 AM
sentry65
the burninator

well I won't sweat $100, I might as well just get the twin.

is each pump supposed to supply each cylinder bank like the APS extreme fuel kit? Or is it something more like the AAM stage 2 kit?

kinda weird that 3 people with vortechs and the CJM return kit have had the low fuel pressure issue. I don't remember who the other guy was. I think he solved it on his car though.
I mean, the kit is probably fine, just maybe something got messed up during install

Last edited by sentry65; 01-19-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Barzten1

Originally Posted by phunk
Bartzen1: Please give us a call when you have a chance so we can try and work out your fuel pressure problem. The S1 system should have no issues holding fuel pressure until your over at LEAST 500rwhp, or maybe 475rwhp with a supercharger but that is a conservative rating (both should do about 50hp more in ideal circumstances). I would like to solve your issue. I really do not like when our customers are not getting what they paid for, so lets figure this out!

sentry: we plan on also making a single pump assembly just like our twin pump for the road racing guys. perhaps you would like to test that unit? It will be about $100 cheaper since its only 1 pump, and it is going to have the provisions so the second pump can be added later. I will talk to Brandon and see if we maybe have the time to run one on the CNC next week if your interested.
I appreciate the concern. We dynoed the car and I was only getting 378whp on a dynojet. Was getting 402 before i went with a 3.12 pully, HFC's, UTEC, CJM Fuel and RC550's. Doesn't make sense. I've been lucky enough to have Dr Todd (350zdcalb) help and charge me almost nothing for the work. I know he's putting a new motor in his car now and when he's finished we'll tackle my car again. I'll have him get a hold of you.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

The twin pump setup has the 2 pumps in the tank that send their fuel down a single 1/2" hardpipe. It then splits into a Y before the rails. Basically, it connects to the S2 kit at the back of the hardpipe.

I am only aware of your car having the problems, and now possibly Bartzen if we cant work it out. I just left a message with an engineer at Vortech. I want to see if they have any insight as to the parasitic losses to the supercharger. I mean, I suppose if that thing is taking 100hp to spin it, then thats the problem right there. But I didnt think that a smaller blower like that would take up so much.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:10 PM
booger

Im putting 430whp at 13 to 14.9psi and still have plenty of room for more fuel with the AAM fuel system and 550 RC's . I have the injectors pulsing 25 to 30% less of what the stock injector pulse would be in the upper rpm range . So I wouldnt think you are maxing it out . Just going by what mine is doing .
Old 01-19-2007, 12:31 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by Barzten1
I appreciate the concern. We dynoed the car and I was only getting 378whp on a dynojet. Was getting 402 before i went with a 3.12 pully, HFC's, UTEC, CJM Fuel and RC550's. Doesn't make sense. I've been lucky enough to have Dr Todd (350zdcalb) help and charge me almost nothing for the work. I know he's putting a new motor in his car now and when he's finished we'll tackle my car again. I'll have him get a hold of you.
Sounds good. Without information on the tune and what not, I cant really help determine where your power has gone, but I at least want to figure out what is going on with your fuel pressure so that your ready to make the power you want. I will talk to Todd about it.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Im putting 430whp at 13 to 14.9psi and still have plenty of room for more fuel with the AAM fuel system and 550 RC's . I have the injectors pulsing 25 to 30% less of what the stock injector pulse would be in the upper rpm range . So I wouldnt think you are maxing it out . Just going by what mine is doing .
I am assuming there is a pressure leak inside the housing, I have had literally a dozen calls or more where people had the same problem of pressure falling off as if the system wasn't flowing enough, and it was always 1 of 3 things:

Wrong fuel pump
fuel pump output nipple not sealing to the fuel pump housing
OEM FPR replacement thru-plug from our kit not properly sealing at the o-rings due to they were either not installed or accidently installed wrong.

When I done with the online instruction manual im going to add a FAQ/Troubleshooting section to try and reduce these problems.

Last edited by phunk; 01-19-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Barzten1

Thanks so much!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Sentry: the crummy weather has hit and held here, so my car isnt going to be going anywhere anytime soon. I have my fuel pump assembly out ATM because I was test fitting the twin pump setup in the car.

Just another idea, i know you said you wanted to wait for the twin pump, but IF you felt like messing with it I would gladly let you borrow it. Let me know.