Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Extreme TT kit vs. Greddy TT kit w/ upgraded 20Gs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^
I was just putting my .02 in. By no means do i think the APS is a slacker and/or not capable of just as good of numbers.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
You guys want to know what the APS X kit will do? I know APS destroyed the tranny and rear end on their R&D car at over 800 *legitimate* whp on their DD dyno.

Just curious how much power you all are looking to make?
do you have a link to that dyno or video?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Tim needs to come on here and address the fitment issues that ppl have brought up about the SFR TT kit. I had no idea the kit had those problems until it was posted in this thread.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Hey guys,

Thanks for the continued posts with helpful info and suggestions. After I read some more of your posts, I did more research and realized that a couple of you made some very good points that made me reconsider my decision and my options.

NoLimit made a very good point that the SGP car and the SFR car probably have very different tunes, since there is huge difference between the piggyback Split Second and the stand alone HKS FCon V-Pro. I realize that probably wasn't a fair comparison. However, I made the comparison because the DSport magazine article and SFR's own website were the only sources I readily knew about for some official power numbers for the SFR kit. Which makes me wonder how the SFR kit would perform with a full stand alone EMU such as the FCon. Does anybody out there have the SFR kit tuned with an HKS FCon V-Pro, and if so, what kind of numbers are you putting down?

MIAPLAYA reminded me about the new Turbonetics GT-K turbos. I had totally forgotten about those! These turbos really sound like they are the next step forward and have some cool features. So that makes me reconsider the SFR kit as well.

So, here is my "Plan C" that I intend to look further into:
-I still intend to have SGP build the motor (not even considering anyone else).
-I'm still leaning heavily towards the HKS FCon V-Pro for engine management (because I still think it's an excellent system and Mark Gust has an awsome reputation as a tuner with this system).
-I'm now seriously considering the SFR kit with GT-K turbos. Since turismo mentioned that the guy he raced had the SFR kit installed by SGP, I would inquire from Mark about doing the same. That way I'm dealing with only one shop and one tuner for the powertrain build, which I think is best.
-Mark also made an excellent point in a phone call with him last year... He said that it is no problem to tweak any turbo kit with a combination of other brands of parts to maximize performance (as they often do with the Greddy kit). So for example, I'll still look into both the APS Extreme fuel system and the AAM (Stage 2, I think?) fuel system.

So, I will ask Mark Gust about all of this when I finally meet him (and hopefully soon). What do you SFR guys think about this potential setup?

Thanks again guys for all your input.
Keep the suggestions coming!
My motor is about to be installed this week. Fully built longblock with the SFR kit. Everything so far has bolted up without any issues. I am installing the Hks Vpro here pretty soon and should have some results here within the next couple of weeks.

People have had problems with the APS Extreme fuel system for some reason. I've been told by two shops, not to invest my money in it, untill some issues have been cleared.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by BamBam
You might want to add a 3rd option for a sturdy fuel Kit... CJ Motorsports fuel systems. Their stuff is very good and they are coming out with a new Twin-InTank fuel pump setup...
It should provide all the power you need and it won't leak/smell like one of the other ones you mention does...
--B
Thanks for the tip.

I just looked up their site and realized that it was phunk's system I see here in another post. I'm impressed, the stuff looks great on the site. The fuel rails look awsome. I'm also impressed that the return fuel system allows you to use your whole tank of gas, just like stock. I look forward to more info when the twin pump system is officially released in the Spring.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it is Phunk’s and I can definitely tell he takes pride in his work. The systems I have seen installed are top notch quality and, as is the case now... He will not release a product until it has been tested on a # of cars in real life and he is sure it is a strong product.
It is just another option. I also understand the APS Extreme fuels system had some glitches, but those have been worked out also. SO both are good quality systems from what I hear.
Good luck with your decisions...
--B
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Quamen

I have the CJM fuel rails and they are great quality and fitment to say the least!!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Bullitproof

Sorry to speak off topic, but what whp level is the cj fuel system good for?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

The CJM Stage 1 does between 500-575rwhp, and the S2 does between 600-650rwhp depending on dyno, strength of the pump, fuel pressure setting, and quality of wiring. The CJM S3 kit that uses twin pumps is still in testing and not available to the public yet.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Bullitproof

I'll look into the stage two then.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Beer Goggles

I'm going to throw this out there...even if the turbos can produce 1000hp each, are people having head lift and other issues well before that? So why worry about strapping giant turbos on if there are issues other than "does it have enough flow to make 1000HP?"
Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one to date has made 1000rwhp on a streetable, daily-drivable Z, or has had the proper setup, equipment, and expierance to do so, not yet anyway. We have been testing the VQs for quite a while now with different components and are on our way to make big power. But its not just about the big number once or twice on the dyno but using that power and having it last, that is the key and our goal. Soon enough we will post the results that we achieve with our shop car. Should be some promising figures and give community an idea of what the VQ platform and GT Motorsports are capable of

RudeG_v2.0,
If there is anything we can help you with please let me know, I don't think you are too far away from our shop and if big power is your goal and stroker kit might be in your best interest. If your looking for big, reliable, power.

Good luck and happy modding!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by turismo
My motor is about to be installed this week. Fully built longblock with the SFR kit. Everything so far has bolted up without any issues. I am installing the Hks Vpro here pretty soon and should have some results here within the next couple of weeks.

People have had problems with the APS Extreme fuel system for some reason. I've been told by two shops, not to invest my money in it, untill some issues have been cleared.
Congrats and good luck! I look forward to an update when it's done and tuned.

Your setup sounds very similar to my "Plan C". What are your power targets? Can't wait to see the dyno results.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:34 AM
turismo

I want to hit the 700rwhp mark. Thats it.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 AM
bbs350z

^wut he said
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by George@GTM
No one to date has made 1000rwhp on a streetable, daily-drivable Z, or has had the proper setup, equipment, and expierance to do so, not yet anyway. We have been testing the VQs for quite a while now with different components and are on our way to make big power. But its not just about the big number once or twice on the dyno but using that power and having it last, that is the key and our goal. Soon enough we will post the results that we achieve with our shop car. Should be some promising figures and give community an idea of what the VQ platform and GT Motorsports are capable of

RudeG_v2.0,
If there is anything we can help you with please let me know, I don't think you are too far away from our shop and if big power is your goal and stroker kit might be in your best interest. If your looking for big, reliable, power.

Good luck and happy modding!

-George
GT Motorsports
Thanks.
I read Sam's thread about what you guys are doing with your two project cars with your 4.24L stroker kit. Very impressive! I noticed that you guys chose the APS Extreme kit for both cars.

Can you tell me why you guys chose this kit over a Greddy kit with upgraded TD06-20G turbos or instead of the SFR kit? I'd like to hear your reasons or thinking on the subject, because it will help answer the question of my OP.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:49 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by turismo
I want to hit the 700rwhp mark. Thats it.
BTW, are you getting the standard turbos or the new GT-K turbos. If not, are you considering upgrading to the GT-K later?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 PM
turismo

BTW, are you getting the standard turbos or the new GT-K turbos. If not, are you considering upgrading to the GT-K later?

I have the hi fi 60-1's ball bearing that are capable of 1200+hp. No need to go to the GT-K.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks.
I read Sam's thread about what you guys are doing with your two project cars with your 4.24L stroker kit. Very impressive! I noticed that you guys chose the APS Extreme kit for both cars.

Can you tell me why you guys chose this kit over a Greddy kit with upgraded TD06-20G turbos or instead of the SFR kit? I'd like to hear your reasons or thinking on the subject, because it will help answer the question of my OP.
-A few of the reasons we choose the APS Extreme vs the GReddy are:
-Specifically Designed for big power in mind.
-Water-cooled ball-bearing turbos
-3.5in Turbo down pipes with external waste gates
-HUGE Inter-cooler
-Did not need EMS that comes with GReddy kit
-Can't really beat what you get for the price

Don't get me wrong the GReddy kit is a great kit, and I love the fact that it uses external waste gates which is perfect for a 500+ rwhp car, but the APS seemed better suited for our needs and the compressor map of the turbos used on the APS extreme works perfectly with our 4.24L stroker kits. The effiecency range of the turbo is right were it should be

Hope we can help you reach your goals!

Take care,

-George
GT Motorsports

Last edited by GTM; 02-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by Zivman
You guys want to know what the APS X kit will do? I know APS destroyed the tranny and rear end on their R&D car at over 800 *legitimate* whp on their DD dyno.

Just curious how much power you all are looking to make?
I wonder whos fuel system they made a "legitmate" 800+hp with - I dont remember them buying any parts from us?

Quick Reply: APS Extreme TT kit vs. Greddy TT kit w/ upgraded 20Gs