Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I need help in choosing a BOV

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
I generally go for mounting it in the front bumper right near the intercooler/behind the headlight so you have less engine bay clutter, but when everything is done right it can make the motor look nice too in the bay.
That's right. When we do UTEC's or a piggy back EMS, the best place is prior to the MAF sensor somewhere. With the FCON, you can put the BOV where you want, as the MAF is not used.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
singh

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
You could run two but for me and for some others it looks tacky and is pointless. if you pick the right valve ahead of time you don't have to run two and look like you screwed up to begin with. Again thats my personal opinion...
+1....but I guess 2 wouldn't hurt either. Last time I heard a HKS SSQ was on a Turbo supra....I had my head under the hood amazed at the engine, and then all of a sudden a screeching gush of air blows......I couldn't hear in that ear for like 2 min.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the twin BOV actually looks good in the right car. It may be hard to make look clean in the Z engine bay though.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Hey, I think it looks kinda cool..but I am a nerd...haha.
Like I said its a matter of taste and preference. I think running two valves (because the airflow exceeds the ability of one valve) is tacky. My personal preference is to run one valve that fulfills the goals you need. But thats my opinion. I see a lot of "JDM" cars with two HKS SSQVs. I even saw a Supra locally running 3. Some people like that, I don't...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
+1....but I guess 2 wouldn't hurt either. Last time I heard a HKS SSQ was on a Turbo supra....I had my head under the hood amazed at the engine, and then all of a sudden a screeching gush of air blows......I couldn't hear in that ear for like 2 min.
I don't want this to digress into the HKS SSQV argument but I personally can't stand that valve. Not only do I dislike the sound when its operating but I also know for a fact its not capable of the type of airflow other valves have. For those who like it, great, more power to you though. Its your car and in the end if you are happy with it thats all that matters. Provided you aren't surging your compressor sections to death for the sake of "style" of course...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:53 PM
002-M-P

I'd much rather run a HKS Racing Type II bov than two SSQV's...one is loud enough, lol
Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking the higher the frequency of the blowoff the less the flow rate. I am not saying the louder because that is different. Just as a general rule of thumb though the most popular sounding BOV's do not have extreme flow capabilities similar to some of the BOV's offered by say TurboXS, Tail and Turbonetics.

While I would prefer to have one capable BOV over two I think that two can look really nice especially since some of the higher flowing BOV's are huge and can look bad in themselves and be hard to fit in certain locations.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM
priscilla ls1

Has anyone ever ran two differant types of BOV's? Like for example a A'pexi twin chamber and a SSQV? I was thinking about doing somthing like this in the near future.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Quamen
Generally speaking the higher the frequency of the blowoff the less the flow rate. I am not saying the louder because that is different. Just as a general rule of thumb though the most popular sounding BOV's do not have extreme flow capabilities similar to some of the BOV's offered by say TurboXS, Tail and Turbonetics.

While I would prefer to have one capable BOV over two I think that two can look really nice especially since some of the higher flowing BOV's are huge and can look bad in themselves and be hard to fit in certain locations.
You are somewhat correct in regards to the pitch of the noise made during operation. This is typically the result of too much air trying to get out of a valve that is too small. (reference a pinched air hose). FYI its Tial not Tail...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
Has anyone ever ran two differant types of BOV's? Like for example a A'pexi twin chamber and a SSQV? I was thinking about doing somthing like this in the near future.
I'm sure someone out there has. Again its a preference thing. Two valves is tacky to me. Two valves of a different kind is even worse. Again my
Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
supra crazy

TiAL, I have on my car and love it, it's preety quiet too
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I'm sure someone out there has. Again its a preference thing. Two valves is tacky to me. Two valves of a different kind is even worse. Again my
Tacky, Its not for show, one can be for performance (A'pexi) and the other for sound (SSQV). Thinking about putting the A'pexi one under the hood and the other one right before the IC.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
maximumsportZ

I'm running the HKS SSQV on my APS TT, its loud @ 9psi I love it.

I was thinking about running 2 on my built setup, but I'm not sure if it I would really need it. Might just be crazy loud then.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
I'm running the HKS SSQV on my APS TT, its loud @ 9psi I love it.

I was thinking about running 2 on my built setup, but I'm not sure if it I would really need it. Might just be crazy loud then.
Actually all things remaining equal two valves would be less loud then one alone as the air is now exitting from two valves at the same time which reduces the work and therefore noise created by the other..
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
Tacky, Its not for show, one can be for performance (A'pexi) and the other for sound (SSQV). Thinking about putting the A'pexi one under the hood and the other one right before the IC.
Define "performance". A valve opening to relieve pressure caused by the throttle closing is performance. It doesn't matter if its one or two. If you have an Apexi and HKS they are both "performing" they just both sounds different and one will flow more then the other..
Old 02-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Cannysage

no need to have 2 valves... hks is pretty loud. I think having it quiet is way to go. I kinda want to hks, but I'm afraid I'd get sick of it, after awhile.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a write up recently (use search) on how to mod a greddy type RS so that you can get more lift and more duration at lower boost levels, for a more effective blow off. Basically, you are lower the spring pressure so that the valve opens sooner, opens wider, and stays open longer.

on a side note, there is a guy on these boards with 3 HKS SSQV on his G.....but only 2 are active. I guess he had the 1st one installed and realized he was still getting a fluttering (or compressor surge), so he had 2 more added (one on each charge pipe, prior to the intercooler.) but then, he left the original one on because he wouldv'e had a hole in his pipe.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

HKS has a good write up on the SSQV at this link:
http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

No expert in BOVs, I chose this one because of the 2 stage valving described in the link - useful at low boost to my understanding - esp. because I was running stock boost of 4.6 for the first year or so...it seemed to make sense to me. Are other BOVs sequential like the HKS? BTW, it appears they must be coming out with a new one as the old one is on sale.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by gringott
HKS has a good write up on the SSQV at this link:
http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

No expert in BOVs, I chose this one because of the 2 stage valving described in the link - useful at low boost to my understanding - esp. because I was running stock boost of 4.6 for the first year or so...it seemed to make sense to me. Are other BOVs sequential like the HKS? BTW, it appears they must be coming out with a new one as the old one is on sale.
Apexi makes a much nicer twin chamber unit... And it actually flows well...

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/38.pdf

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 02-15-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
TENGAI

MIAPLAYA - Given that you personally don't like the HKS SSQV, why do you feel it necessary to punch on eveyone who's got something to say in favor of the unit? I'm sure the TN BOV is great. I'm also positive that there are BOV's (Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TN, GReddy, etc.) that may perform better when comparing apples to apples, but it seems as though anyone who states any sort of opinion otherwise is open for your debate.

No offense, but lighten up...

For the record: I ran the HKS SSQV with my GReddy TT and loved it. As many have stated, at the boost levels that most of us are running it's more than enough. If you're running 16+ psi, then I'd personnally recommend a TiAL unit. But that's just my OPINION.

Quick Reply: I need help in choosing a BOV