Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel pressure drop! Return fuel system gurus help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 PM
kevinapex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Yup..I spoke to Charles today, and suddenly it all came to light. Kevin, after I got off the phone with you, I did some back to back dyno runs, and I observed the pressure drop you spoke of at just 13psi of boost pressure.

So after talking to Charles, I think I will try the method he mentioned above. I will let you know how it goes. As long as you return the surge tank overflow, back to the passenger side siphon, then your siphon should operate correctly.

Are you going to tig on another nippel on the surge?
Keep me informed man!!
Thanks Sharif!
Kevin
Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinapex
Are you going to tig on another nippel on the surge?
Keep me informed man!!
Thanks Sharif!
Kevin
Tig a nipple..that sounded funny.

But yes, the plan is to remove the surge tank, drain and clean it, and tig weld an aluminum bung to the can. Then attach new fitting and go from there.

However, I was talking to Dave@Function2nd, and he brought up a good point that I hadnt considered. With the Walbro feeding the surge, and the return coming back to the surge, there be too much flow running through the siphon, and might cause very high base boost pressure. There is going to be a lot of pressure/fuel in that surge tank now...should be interesting.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:32 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it will be fine.

the return coming back into the surge will be recycled and sent out the bosch pump again straight back to the engine. the ammount that the walbro sends, minus what is consumed by the engine at idle, is whta will be returned to the siphon.

that is the same ammount that gets returned to the siphon with any return fuel system.

:thumbsup: - should be no problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phunk
it will be fine.

the return coming back into the surge will be recycled and sent out the bosch pump again straight back to the engine. the ammount that the walbro sends, minus what is consumed by the engine at idle, is whta will be returned to the siphon.

that is the same ammount that gets returned to the siphon with any return fuel system.

:thumbsup: - should be no problem.
Good point. It's funny how complicated this thing can get...all in the effort to keep our factory fuel tank, and all its OEM features. I am tempted to ditch the whole thing for a fuel cell, and a noisy nasty pump.