Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vq37hr-vvel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vq37hr-vvel

Not sure if you guys have seen specs on the new 3.7L engine that will go into the g37 and most likely into the next generation Z but what do you tech guys think about the difficulty level in boosting this new engine?

-3.7-litre VVEL 24-valve DOHC V6 Estimated at 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque
-Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL) intake camshafts, incorporated with the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), allows for 7500 rpm redline
-The engine also features increased cylinder block height (from the previous 3.5-litre design), ladder frame construction for greater rigidity, large crank journal and pin diameters, asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors, an electronically controlled "drive-by-wire" throttle system, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons, Iridium spark plugs and a symmetric twin air intake system.
-Compression Ratio- 11:0:1
-Block/Head Composition- Aluminum/Aluminum
-Bore x Stroke-95.5 x 86

Last edited by Diesel350; 03-27-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Devil Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we pronounce it like "Veeval?"

Cuz the Honda guys get to scream "VTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKK" when the drive.

We should get to scream "VEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! !!!!!!"
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 AM
live2themaxuk

isnt this what is going into the new GTR, not the new VQ for the 350z but this one, with twins. . .
Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 AM
Zilvia

wow 11.0:1 compression

looks like they want to end the F/I life of the Z/G and make us buy skylines

but def looks to be a kick *** N/A motor
Old 03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Vash350Z

ZOMGZ its gonna have VTAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 PM
350zSteve

Originally Posted by Zilvia
wow 11.0:1 compression

looks like they want to end the F/I life of the Z/G and make us buy skylines

but def looks to be a kick *** N/A motor
You can still boost 10psi with 11:1 CR.
s2k guys have no problem with boost, actually less than us it seems....
Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Basically exactly the same as a VQ35HR with a litttle more displacement.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:07 AM
forbidden710

VVEL is a knock off of the original gansta the VVL!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Enron Exec

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
And more compression.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And variable valve lift. The details were discussed in this thread. Basically, it's the N/A version of the new GT-R engine.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/257946-vq37vhr-goodness.html
Old 03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
stepuckey

I'm still dying to know how much the dang thing is gonna weigh! C'mon, 330 horse, high revving v6, at 2900 lbs? Boost or not, SOLD.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
And more compression.
Ah yes...for some reason I thought the 35HR was also 11:1...

Originally Posted by Resolute
And variable valve lift. The details were discussed in this thread. Basically, it's the N/A version of the new GT-R engine.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257946

marketing gimmick...not really worth mentioning. The CVTC is where the flat power curve comes from.

I'm aware that it's the GT-R motor without the turbos and higher compression.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Resolute

marketing gimmick...not really worth mentioning. The CVTC is where the flat power curve comes from.
You're kidding me right? Otherwise you have no idea what you're saying.
Will
Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

You're kidding me right? Otherwise you have no idea what you're saying.
Will

It's just a refined version of CVTC. Nothing groudbreaking. If you think it's groundbreaking then you have no idea what you're saying. The name is just a marketing gimmick for them adding a little more functionality to CVTC.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Resolute

It's just a refined version of CVTC. Nothing groudbreaking. If you think it's groundbreaking then you have no idea what you're saying. The name is just a marketing gimmick for them adding a little more functionality to CVTC.
Care to explain that? How altering lift to keep port velocities up throughout the rpm range, from 1mm to a max lift of 11mm is just an extension of the CVTC system? Or how variable duaration up to 300 degrees is just a better CVTC system? Or maybe how a new system doesn't need a TB or cam lobe profiles anymore is anywhere near the realm of what CVTC does? Since CVTC simply alters cam pasing to advance or retard when the valve opens relative to TDC, controlling the lift and duration of the valve opening while improving fuel economy and power seems a little beyond just "marketing gimmicks". I'm not sure why you figure this is "just a little more functionality to CVTC" when the two are completely separate and it is a good step beyond what Nissan had with their Neo VVL system. But it is a breakthrough for them. They are only the second company to use such a system, and Nissan's is much simpler and more developed. With what BMW has achieved with theirs (500 hp 5L comes to mind, with a sweet torque curve) I imagine this system will push similiar specific outputs on future vehicles. If they could set the record with the old VVL, this new system looks even more promising, with better torque curves to compliment high hp.
Will
Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
NoLimit

Thumbs up

Care to explain that? How altering lift to keep port velocities up throughout the rpm range, from 1mm to a max lift of 11mm is just an extension of the CVTC system? Or how variable duaration up to 300 degrees is just a better CVTC system? Or maybe how a new system doesn't need a TB or cam lobe profiles anymore is anywhere near the realm of what CVTC does? Since CVTC simply alters cam pasing to advance or retard when the valve opens relative to TDC, controlling the lift and duration of the valve opening while improving fuel economy and power seems a little beyond just "marketing gimmicks". I'm not sure why you figure this is "just a little more functionality to CVTC" when the two are completely separate and it is a good step beyond what Nissan had with their Neo VVL system. But it is a breakthrough for them. They are only the second company to use such a system, and Nissan's is much simpler and more developed. With what BMW has achieved with theirs (500 hp 5L comes to mind, with a sweet torque curve) I imagine this system will push similiar specific outputs on future vehicles. If they could set the record with the old VVL, this new system looks even more promising, with better torque curves to compliment high hp.
Will
bingo!
TB's will become a thing of the past!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Will
Again, does it not add more functionality to the cam over bucket setup on a VQ motor? That's what I was saying. I don't think it's "completely seperate" at all. As stated in the specs it is INCORPORATED with CVTC to further alter the intake "tract" during a given set of circumstances. How are they only the second company to use a variable lift system?? Ever heard of VVTL-i or advanced VTEC just to name two?

If you think this is "new" technology...here's some reading for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-VTEC

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 03-29-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Resolute

Again, does it not add more functionality to the cam over bucket setup on a VQ motor? That's what I was saying. I don't think it's "completely seperate" at all. As stated in the specs it is INCORPORATED with CVTC to further alter the intake "tract" during a given set of circumstances. How are they only the second company to use a variable lift system?? Ever heard of VVTL-i or advanced VTEC just to name two?

If you think this is "new" technology...here's some reading for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-VTEC
Of course the VVeL and CVTC are incorporated, so is the fuel injection system. Does that make the injectors part of the CVTC as well? The systems are seperate. Ths CVTC does not control the jackshaft. It simply alters when the valve opens. The VVeL alters lift and duration of the valve.

VVTi and VTEC, now I know you don't know what you're talking about. Go read the description again of Nissan's system, or at least the link I posted. Maybe you missed the part in my last post about variable lift from 1mm to 11mm, or infinately adjustable duration up to 300 deg? No need for a throttle body, or cam lobes? As I said, this is a huge step up from Nissan's Neo VVL (maybe you don't know what that is- it's just like VVTi and VTEC). And BMW is the only other company to offer it with their Valvetronic system. This system doesn't just switch to a different cam lobe, it gets rid of the cam lobe profile and alters lift and duration infinately between the max and min specs. If you really think this is just a "marketing gimmick" and don't realize the huge possibility this offers, so be it.
Will
Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Of course the VVeL and CVTC are incorporated, so is the fuel injection system. Does that make the injectors part of the CVTC as well? The systems are seperate. Ths CVTC does not control the jackshaft. It simply alters when the valve opens. The VVeL alters lift and duration of the valve.

VVTi and VTEC, now I know you don't know what you're talking about. Go read the description again of Nissan's system, or at least the link I posted. Maybe you missed the part in my last post about variable lift from 1mm to 11mm, or infinately adjustable duration up to 300 deg? No need for a throttle body, or cam lobes? As I said, this is a huge step up from Nissan's Neo VVL (maybe you don't know what that is- it's just like VVTi and VTEC). And BMW is the only other company to offer it with their Valvetronic system. This system doesn't just switch to a different cam lobe, it gets rid of the cam lobe profile and alters lift and duration infinately between the max and min specs. If you really think this is just a "marketing gimmick" and don't realize the huge possibility this offers, so be it.
Will
You obviously need to read up on VVTL-i and ADVANCEDVTEC...they are NOT the same as VVT-i and VTEC...both the former have infinitely variable lift and duration.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM
bghoward

You obviously need to read up on VVTL-i and ADVANCEDVTEC...they are NOT the same as VVT-i and VTEC...both the former have infinitely variable lift and duration.
Not according to the wikipedia link. At least not the VVTL-i:

In 1998, Toyota started offering a new technology, VVTL-i, which can alter valve lift (and duration) as well as valve timing...Each camshaft has two lobes per cylinder, one low rpm lobe and one high rpm, high lift, long duration lobe
It looks like the VVTL-i only has two steps in lift and duration.

Anyways Toyota has now ceased production of its VVTL-i engines for most markets, because the engine does not meet Euro IV specifications for emissions.

It'll be interesting to see the AVTEC but it doesn't go into production models for at least 2-3 more years, so Nissan still has the lead in this regard.