Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS Vpro, do i need these to have a good tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the setup im thinking about going with.. im just trying to figure out what sensors to get with the navigator.. probably EGT Fuel pressure and oil temp or maybe oil pressure.. not sure..

how big is the navigator would it fit custom inside my ash tray so i can just flip the ash tray down to monitor the $hit?

btw sam or george if your reading this.. this is how i would like my setup.
haha
Attached Thumbnails HKS Vpro, do i need these to have a good tune?-setup.jpg  
Old 06-30-2007, 02:53 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Originally Posted by TENGAI
Nope... You need the knock amp in order to allow the F-Con to retard timing on the fly.
SOB!!!!!!!! how much do you think i would need it? im planning to run a 100octane map and a 91 map and just adjust my boost on the EVC and my maps on the navigator are people having any knock after getting the fcon tuned? 800 bucks for knock amp is alot

Last edited by paranormal; 06-30-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

so, is it not possible to connect the knock amp and the FCON navigator to the FCON simulataneously?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
nomyth46

now to install the Fcon right with a tt setup to make high horspower plus the tune........how much would it run?.............ballpark figure
Old 08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check my sig

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by f1james
so, is it not possible to connect the knock amp and the FCON navigator to the FCON simulataneously?
can anyone answer this?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

can anyone answer this?
taking a guess, but the navigator hooks into the fcon and reads what the fcon sees. They wouldn't be hooked up simultaniously, but more or less daisy chained
Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 AM
westpak
SFZCC

yes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The NTK sensor based Knock Amp is in a different league, vs. the Bosche based Innovate. And when the FCON is relying on a good accurate wideband signal, my first choice would be the Knock Amp. As a simple visual wideband gauge, the Innovate is fine.
Not to bring up an old subject... but I completely disagree with that...

The fact that it's NTK, does not guarantee AT ALL that your wideband display is accurate. The ONLY difference between the NTK and LSU4.2 is 1.5% better accuracy...now, it's not 1.5% higher or lower Lambda indication toward accuracy, but 1.5% of the true-to-indicated difference... which is truly a tiny amount. I.e. if the true is AFR is 12.0, and the Bosch indicated 12.1, the NTK is going to be 1.5% of the 0.1 = 0.0015 closer to the true 12.0, assuming of course you are using identical wideband controllers...

And this is where the difference is.

Look at the independent wideband shootout performed by the magazine .... https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ideband+shoout

NTK's OWN wideband controller, the AFX, had the WORST accuracy.... This confirms without a doubt in my mind that the controller makes much more of a difference than the sensor itself.... the Innovate LM-1 can use the NTK sensor also, hence you can get the best of both worlds. But that unit is bulky, the LC-1 currently only supports the LSU4.2... And truly, for accuracy, nothing beats the Innovate.

To that end, Bosch's new LSU 4.9 used on the VW Toureg is THE TICKET! It's extrmely accurate, completely resistant to sulfur contamination (can be used on diesels), and it completely erases. I am planning to ask Klaus for some inside info on their plans to for integrating LSU4.9 support into the LC-1's we'll see what he says. Currently, the only one controllers that I know that can use it are the Motec PLM's or the Motec M400/600/800 series ECU themselves.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Gurgen, I am relying on my practical experience, having installed well over 30-40 of the innovate and about 10 of the AEM's. I can't recall a single NTK sensor go out. My experience on the dyno, using both Bosche and NTK sensors with our dyno lambda unit is consistent with that as well. We would replace Bosche sensors every 3 months, in contrast to the NTK's which has yet been replaced.

I am sure, if you compare the out of the box differences between bosche and NTK, you would find them very close. But longevity, and accuracy under practical usage is something that needs to be considered, in addition to the bench testing that many magazines have perfomed.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:23 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by westpak
yes
yes you can hook them up simultaneuosly or no you cannot.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
westpak
SFZCC

yes you can
Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
LSU is THE TICKET!
Fixed?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM
UnderPressure

Look at the independent wideband shootout performed by the magazine .... https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ideband+shoout

Lets look at another forum's review of that same article.
http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2477
Oh, and that forum is populated w/ some of the best tuners from around the world.

Cilff notes version:
The article is very bias and bogus.

FWIW
Old 08-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The Knock Amp is hard-wired to the FCON harness, whereas the Navigator simply plugs into the com port on the FCON directly. So yes, you can run both..no problem.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 08-05-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:14 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Gurgen, I am relying on my practical experience, having installed well over 30-40 of the innovate and about 10 of the AEM's. I can't recall a single NTK sensor go out. My experience on the dyno, using both Bosche and NTK sensors with our dyno lambda unit is consistent with that as well. We would replace Bosche sensors every 3 months, in contrast to the NTK's which has yet been replaced.

I am sure, if you compare the out of the box differences between bosche and NTK, you would find them very close. But longevity, and accuracy under practical usage is something that needs to be considered, in addition to the bench testing that many magazines have perfomed.
I agree with you on the longevity, definitely true.

But i was just talking about accuracy, and making the point that the controller is the major determinant of accuracy and NOT the sensor itself. I want to make sure that that point is not missed, hence my comment... you KNOW it's not personal, I hope. As far as accuracy, I think the innovate can't be beat.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by UnderPressure
Lets look at another forum's review of that same article.
http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2477
Oh, and that forum is populated w/ some of the best tuners from around the world.

Cilff notes version:
The article is very bias and bogus.

FWIW
I of course did see that thread as I frequent those forums often.

Yes the tuners are good, but NONE of them as per that thread have actually carried out accuracy exeriments, and the allegation of one was that Innovate was an advertiser in their magazine, and hence the data can't really be trusted. Also, they said that that would love to see the PLM included...

So, here is the real cliffs note:

1) How many have credibly disputed the accuracy of the innovate?
2) How can a simple allegation on a public forum by someone that is certainly not unbiased given that they, as all tuners, have favorites, refute an expensive, troublesome and objective experiment, not to mention the loss of credibility of that long-standing magazine.

So, which would a reasonable person would believe which?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
UnderPressure

Perhaps you missed the part of that thread w/ both Ben (founder of EFI University) and Steve (Aussie Imports, Dyno Dynamics, Magnetti Marelli, support to numerous NHRA teams, Haltech USA, etc...) both questioned the validity and results of the testing procedure. Not to mention Steve hand calibrates every NTK sensor sold by Autronic and Dyno Dynamics.

Yup those are people who's opinion I'd give absolutely no weight to.

Look I've been party to working w/ the Innovate guys for years. Originally their stuff was good but recently quality control has gone to crap. Not to mention vendors aren't going to speak poorly about a product they can easily sell and have a decent margin on. Or course they know there are issues, but it's easy to look the other way when your pockets get fatter.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

if i read this correctly then the HKS Knock amp's O2 sensor (which is an "accessory") is actually an NTK unit? the fact that the FCON actually looks after the knock through the Knock Amp is pretty sweet.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM
roncfpz

As far as accuracy, I think the innovate can't be beat.
Gurgen, they may be accurate but they are problematic. I'm already on my 3rd wideband and have yet to be able to setup the XD-16 and LMA-3 to accurately read boost pressure. The setup is a PITA to say the least and they're still using serial ports for the software downloads. I just spent another day trying to get this gauge to work to no avail.

Quick Reply: HKS Vpro, do i need these to have a good tune?