Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS Vpro, do i need these to have a good tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
gcoupeturbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Vpro, do i need these to have a good tune?

I will be installing the HKS Vpro on a built TT motor.

My shop says its necessary to have the following for the tune:
I'm not sure if its that necessary.. i wonder if they are just trying to get more money from me

here are the prices installed

EGT gauge $300
Wide Band 02 Gauge <--- (sensor already w/ the vpro) $450
HKS DLI Ignition (not necessary but very good to have) $570

please, some advice????
i can't afford the extra since the bill is almost 19k for the built motor, fuel, twins, etc...

do i really need those 2 gauges??
Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you must have a wideband connected to the VPro to tune it properly, so that is a must. The EGT gauge is very good to have especially if it is going to submit feedback to the VPro the EGT compensation table can be used. The HKS DLI II is up to you, if you don't have the extra cash don't both with it. I run it on my car just for peice of mind. If it really helps or works there is no HARD evidence so you will hear people say its great, or it sucks.

So you MUST have the wideband, you SHOULD get the EGT (w/ feedback to Vpro) and you don't need the DLI, that is totally up to you.

hope this helps,

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 03-28-2007, 06:06 AM
gcoupeturbo

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Will you must have a wideband connected to the VPro to tune it properly, so that is a must. The EGT gauge is very good to have especially if it is going to submit feedback to the VPro the EGT compensation table can be used. The HKS DLI II is up to you, if you don't have the extra cash don't both with it. I run it on my car just for peice of mind. If it really helps or works there is no HARD evidence so you will hear people say its great, or it sucks.

So you MUST have the wideband, you SHOULD get the EGT (w/ feedback to Vpro) and you don't need the DLI, that is totally up to you.

hope this helps,

-George
GT Motorsports

thanks... the last guy who i bought the motor from didn't have any of the gauges, but did have the wide band feedback to the vpro.. i guess the DLI is a good price though.

i think its a little over my budget, but i think i may as well get these since its all being done at once...
thanks for the advice
Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 AM
synth19

Can you use another wideband and have it hooked up to the vpro, such as the innovate?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
atomevolution

Originally Posted by synth19
Can you use another wideband and have it hooked up to the vpro, such as the innovate?
Ditto on that and is the Knock Amp necessary?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

The Knock amp is not necessary, but it must be used on the vehicle while tuning ( if not your not really tuning as well as you should be. ) For wideband feedback I run Dual LC-1s on my car (left and right bank).

Hope this helps,

-George
GT Motorsports

P.S. We have plenty of LC-1s and LC-1/XD-16 combos IN STOCK and ready to ship
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Yup, EGT is nice to have, in gut checking the tune.

A wideband display is also a must. However, why dont you just get the HKS Knock Amp, which offers the wideband display, and full AF feedback integration into the FCON. It is also a far better and more reliable NTK sensor, which is the part of the reason it is more expensive.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM
synth19

Let's say one already has a wideband (innovate, aem, etc), the shop has everything needed to tune... what is the minimum v-pro components needed?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM
BrianLG35C

This is what I understand is the minimum for a safe tune...

HKS F-Con V-Pro EMS
HKS F-Con 350z/G35 Harness
HKS Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
HKS Manifold Absolute Sensor Harness
HKS Manifold Absolute Sensor Bracket
Innovate LC-1 Wide-band 02 Sensor
Dyno Tuning with the Knock Amp only
Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
This is what I understand is the minimum for a safe tune...

HKS F-Con V-Pro EMS
HKS F-Con 350z/G35 Harness
HKS Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
HKS Manifold Absolute Sensor Harness
HKS Manifold Absolute Sensor Bracket
Innovate LC-1 Wide-band 02 Sensor
Dyno Tuning with the Knock Amp only
That is the minimum I would also get the IAT temp sensor, and if the budget allows it is a good idea to have a knock amp in the car at all times, so if knock does occur the VPro can pull timing accordingly, but it is not necessary to make the unit function properly. (As long as the initial tune is done with a knock amp)

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
dutchboy

That is the minimum I would also get the IAT temp sensor, and if the budget allows it is a good idea to have a knock amp in the car at all times, so if knock does occur the VPro can pull timing accordingly, but it is not necessary to make the unit function properly. (As long as the initial tune is done with a knock amp)

-George
GT Motorsports
+1. I love having the knock amp in my car to monitor A/F and to keep track of any knock.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by dutchboy
+1. I love having the knock amp in my car to monitor A/F and to keep track of any knock.
So I understand Chad, the Knock Amp also shows the A/F ratio so no need for A/F guage like an Innovate? I see you installed it in your glove compartment, so you don't monitor it while your driving?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So I understand Chad, the Knock Amp also shows the A/F ratio so no need for A/F guage like an Innovate? I see you installed it in your glove compartment, so you don't monitor it while your driving?

The knock amp shows AFRs just like the innovate.
nice thing about the Fcon is that it monitors it, itself.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
dutchboy

Correct. I can actually see it pretty well from the driver's seat, and just occasionally glance at it if I get into boost. If I am just cruising around town I usually close the glove compartment and don't monitor the A/F.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The NTK sensor based Knock Amp is in a different league, vs. the Bosche based Innovate. And when the FCON is relying on a good accurate wideband signal, my first choice would be the Knock Amp. As a simple visual wideband gauge, the Innovate is fine.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-George
GT Motorsports
I wasted my money on the knock amp cuz I had Sam tune it......now it's the most boring display with the corner constantly reading "0".....................
Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
I wasted my money on the knock amp cuz I had Sam tune it......now it's the most boring display with the corner constantly reading "0".....................
haha..but at least the AF display on the knock amp is something exciting to look at. At least it moves!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:18 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

I thought the HKS vpro alreaddy does knock retard without the knock amp? is this true?

also if one declines the knock amp and gets the navigator what sensors do you reccomend be used in conjuction with the vpro and navigator.

EGT sensor, Fuel Pressure sensor, Oil Temp sensor, Oil Pressure sensor, Etc, Etc

lets say the car already has innovate WB/ EGT and boost. the egt is broke so i guess id probably put another wideband there for the second bank to monitor a/f more since i wouldnt get the knock amp

so far the gauge pod will have wideband boost wideband.. then what sensors should be hooked up to the navigator and where do you find them?

Last edited by paranormal; 06-30-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:45 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the instructions for my knock amp, to get it to display A/F or whatever different things, do you just press mode, then the up/down arrow keys I assume?

Sometimes I can't really see the A/F ratio that is displayed on the navigator - the LCD isn't really super bright looking during the day with sunglasses
Old 06-30-2007, 02:49 PM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by paranormal
I thought the HKS vpro alreaddy does knock retard without the knock amp? is this true?
Nope... You need the knock amp in order to allow the F-Con to retard timing on the fly.

Quick Reply: HKS Vpro, do i need these to have a good tune?