Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Calling All Vq35 Engine Experts !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
JonathanAboona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling All Vq35 Engine Experts !!!!!

This motor project has been nothing but a nightmare from the start. Currently my built motor has about 4,000 miles on it. Since the day I started it up, it had a startup issue. It would make a lot of noise on 80% of startups, with the colder weather making it seem worse. Oil pressure has been at idle and warmed up around 14 psi, at full throttle redline it never went past 60 warmed up. Long story short, I told my engine builder about this and he said he wanted the car to take a look at it. He drove it around for a couple of days and said the secondary tensioner was the cause of the problem. he said it wasn't picking up the slack in the chain because it was already maxed out for some reason. So he didn't have time to fix it so he said he would pay the dealership to do it. They so far have charged a total of 2,000 to do the work and got it all back together. On startup, go figure, the same noise was there. The dealership now believes that the problem is with the bearings which are causing all the oil to bleed out. I am so upset right now. Who is going to pay for all of this. I was out of a car for 9 months last time this happened. And how and the heck am I going to get this guy to pay for this all. I've learned my lesson greatly now, the only shops that are ever touching this car again are well known Z shops. I live in stupid michigan with no heavy tuning shops around here. Looks like Georgia, Cali, Texas and the other Z shop gods are going to be getting phone calls from me soon. Please advise folks on how I should go about this ordeal with this engine builder.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Wow, I feel sorry for you. You seemed to have learned alot of "what not to do" on this project. I hope your builder (the guy that told you he would pay for it) comes through for you. Eeeecckkk. Don't realy know what to tell you, but lemme know if there is something we can do.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
QuicksilverZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonathanAboona
Looks like Georgia, Cali, Texas and the other Z shop gods are going to be getting phone calls from me soon. Please advise folks on how I should go about this ordeal with this engine builder.
What about MRC in NJ...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM
JonathanAboona

he has already committed to paying for the 2000 so far but the problem wasnt fixed with that. My problem is I am not sure if he is going to pay for the rest of the job which would be to pull the motor and start all over again. I was just throwing out a few company names that I have seen on the boards, I am sure I forogt alot of good ones so MRC would be one too. WA2GOOD do you guys have a website. another problem is that I will be deploying to Kuwait on 1 May - 31 May so I would like to get the process started before I head out.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

hmmm, sounds like a nightmare... things can definately go wrong with a built motor, even if everything is done properly... the only consolation I can offer would be to send the engine to someone who has built several vq35's and knows these like the back of their hand.

describe the sound, give some more info, if it was the chain tensioner, chances are the chain would have slipped by now and you'd have an obvious timing issue, so that is unlikely in my opinion. and, if a chain tensioner fails to hold tight, the chain will typically jump a tooth immediately on startup, the first time, another reason that we time our engines the way that we do, special process to insure this wouldnt ever happen.

good luck
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
booger

PM Phunk...he is in Chicago Ill. He can help or point you to a shop . I believe GRD is in that area also .
Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Wow this sucks... It's like deja vu for me... #8 buildis a charm for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Cut your losses right now, and send your car to a reputable shop. This will end up costing you less money in the end. Don't let the idiots that put it together the first time, try to fix their mistakes. Do this now....get your car out of there!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
roncfpz

Best advice is to listen to him ^^^
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Kenk2
Professional

MRC is pretty close.. He is reputable and will take care of you