Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TN to HKS swap.. a waste of time or not?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Three5oZee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb TN to HKS swap.. a waste of time or not?!?!

...heres an idea that I have been pondering.

With my TN set up. I plan to swap out the internals with the HKS rods and so forth. Then I had the vision to swap out my turbo, waste gate, and blow off for the HKS equivilants for a desired performance with their parts.

Now, lets clear the obvious that it will be a bit pricey... with HKS having expensive turbos and waste gates and such. Lets get past that. I can get the parts and good prices... Also that I will have to change the flanges and paterns so that they line up.... thats easy.. doesnt take a scientist....

Heres the question. Will i have the same performance, slightly better, worste...or a significatly large increase in power?

Once again, just an idea of mine to be unique and sometimes you have to spend the money.

Please only those who are serious reply... too many people that are quick to shoot someone down on here for their own credibility...
Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting the price aside in regards to the HKS stuff it sounds like you would have a unique setup.

However, the power band shape and and capabilities will be dependent on the trim and size of turbo you upgrade to.

With that in mind no one will be able to give you a real answer unless you give a specific turbo number with the desired trim.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Three5oZee

Thanks for the quality insite. Yes, I am thinking of purchasing an HKS turbo equivilant to that of the upgraded TN turbo I saw on the Sema photos with a properly functioning waste gate to compliment the power of the turbo.

Indeed unique!

Im sure some would say its stupid to leave TN; yes they are incredible as a compnay an their parts. I just favor HKS a lil more. No biggie... just preference.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not recommend buying an actual HKS turbo unless you just want the name. They are much more expensive than their Garrett equals. HKS TO4Z might be the biggest rip-off of them all.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
I would not recommend buying an actual HKS turbo unless you just want the name. They are much more expensive than their Garrett equals. HKS TO4Z might be the biggest rip-off of them all.
I have to agree with this a bit. While HKS has some nice products aside from surge porting its just a Garrett unit. The Turbonetics GT-K line of turbos can do just as much for you if sized properlly and implemented correctly. What are your ultimate power goals?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Three5oZee

Im looking to maintain a good 550 to 600 hp. I also wanted it to be a unique set up. I was unaware that HKS turbos were not as productive as their exagerated price.

This is good info!

Ok... so lets talk waste gates... TN has had repeated issues with the waste gate that i have now which is the base set up on the TN kit. HKS or not with that product?

As far as the blow off valve.... done deal... im throwing that TN crap off a damn mountain. I like the sound of the ssq HKS blow off.... (and lets not go there, i believe that thread has been beat to hell on here already) user preference clearly!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
Im looking to maintain a good 550 to 600 hp. I also wanted it to be a unique set up. I was unaware that HKS turbos were not as productive as their exagerated price.

This is good info!

Ok... so lets talk waste gates... TN has had repeated issues with the waste gate that i have now which is the base set up on the TN kit. HKS or not with that product?

As far as the blow off valve.... done deal... im throwing that TN crap off a damn mountain. I like the sound of the ssq HKS blow off.... (and lets not go there, i believe that thread has been beat to hell on here already) user preference clearly!
HKS makes some quality wastegates. You could also run the Turbonetics Newgen wastegate for that kind of power (swing valve design capable of 1000 HP control)
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
taurran

You won't make that kind of power on the HKS setup, besides, the last I heard it wouldnt even be possible to install it on a LHD car...

Asking your original question is like saying "Would I look any cooler if I traded in my old t-shirt for a Gucci shirt?". They both would accomplish the exact same thing, the only real reason to get the other is to look cool to the in crowd.

The Turbonetics evolution wastegate works fine. It was the piping config that originally posed problems, but as far as I'm aware it should be good now. I'll just say if you're really concerned about this, it would be cheaper to fab up a custom wg setup than to buy that HKS kit. In the end, if you think the Evolution wastegate "isn't functioning properly", then you should probaby consider researching the functionality of a wastegate first.

And, about the BoV... You say it's personal preference, then proceed to bash the other because of the sound? You know you only want that HKS BoV for the shiny HKS logo on the side! I personally think the raptor sounds 100x better than the HKS, but that doesn't mean I go around throwing them off mountains.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 AM
taurran

Anyway, in the end I'd say that with your power goals it would currently be more cost effective to go with one of the readily availible TT kits than looking at something overpriced and limited like the HKS ST.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just use arias ED pistons and eagle rods, and forget about the overpriced HKS crap. Except for the HKS headgaskets.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So your basically asking "how do I make my Stage 1 TN kit capable of 550-600whp? What turbo, modifications and wastegate do I need to run?"

These Q's were asked 3X a week when talk of the Stage 2 kit was all around, here is the answer for the 6214 time----> YOU CANNOT MAKE THAT MUCH POWER WITH THE CURRENT KIT- EVEN PEOPLE WITH UPGRADED TURBOS ON A STAGE 1 KIT DONT HAVE THE AIRFLOW (exhaust wise-too many restrictions) TO MAKE THAT POWER. Buy twins or wait for TN's stage 2
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by Alberto
So your basically asking "how do I make my Stage 1 TN kit capable of 550-600whp? What turbo, modifications and wastegate do I need to run?"

These Q's were asked 3X a week when talk of the Stage 2 kit was all around, here is the answer for the 6214 time----> YOU CANNOT MAKE THAT MUCH POWER WITH THE CURRENT KIT- EVEN PEOPLE WITH UPGRADED TURBOS ON A STAGE 1 KIT DONT HAVE THE AIRFLOW (exhaust wise-too many restrictions) TO MAKE THAT POWER. Buy twins or wait for TN's stage 2
Or make a custom pre-turbo exhaust
Old 04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Problem is also post turbo, the downpipe is small for the power levels...
Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by Alberto
Problem is also post turbo, the downpipe is small for the power levels...
I figured someone would have already done a custom larger downpipe Wastegate dump would help as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
I figured someone would have already done a custom larger downpipe Wastegate dump would help as well.
It shouldn't be too hard. I've considered it myself. If I ever do a shortblock I'll give it a shot unless stage 2 addresses it and is out by then. All you've gotta do is route it a little higher so it clears the headers and you can probably go 3.5" at least.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Three5oZee

To clarify to Taurran... no I am not going to swap out the TN kit for the HKS single turbo kit.. i was just thinking of different ways to us the tn set up with other companies for added power and consistency.. nothing more....

And no, its not for the HKS logo.... I have quite a few different companies on my car to worry about having an HKS logo on a part on my engine. My car is already an attention getter and im about sick of that.. i just want consistency!

WEll, if its cost effective to stay where i am then thats perfect. this is why i asked... To seek the advise of those who know better.. plain and simple.

...ok now about that down pipe and up pipe... who makes it and how or who do i have to talk to so that i may have one fabricated for me so i can break this kit down and install it!

..oh yea.. my blow off valve is not to my liking.. i like the sound of the ssq valve... thats all....
Old 04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
taurran

Fair enough. I thought that by "turbo" you meant the entire kit.

You'd have to find a shop that does custom turbo piping, and someone with a good reputation for doing so. I know that XAT Racing does a lot of that stuff here in Tampa. If I were going to get a downpipe made, they'd be who I'd go to.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Zexy

Don't waste your time.

Your giving up Turbonetics' awseome no hassle warranty too.

Don't swap to HKS unless you're dumb enough to just go for "brand name". You can always get a welder to get yo a SSQV too.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Three5oZee

.. sounds good! So lets think for a second. If I get these larger pipes and then purchase that TN turbo that I saw in this past Sema with a decent fuel return system I should see some good consistent numbers before I go to my block?

The block internals and a newer ems (maybe hydra system) are next years jump-off.

This year its just to work out my fuel and turbo quality.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 PM
ohSIXz

.....i just want a TN kit.

everyone here is wanting more than that! ive been planning on saving money for my future. but maybe after this ill just dump it into the TN kit when my warranty is up. thanks guys, thanks for ruining my financial future. ha!

Quick Reply: TN to HKS swap.. a waste of time or not?!?!