Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech serp pulleys VS cog pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:22 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe your facts that you gained power booger, again congrats

I also believe I have helped eliminate some slip from my belts with Timrod's belt setup because my facts are I now reach a full 12 psi instead of 10. However all the psi readings before reaching 10 are pretty much identical, so I'm thinking there probably wouldn't be a huge gain for me (at least below 10 psi) if I switched to a cog setup.

I guess I don't understand how I can gain more power where the belt is stressed the most and not where it's stressed the least

Though because timrod's and the stock belt setup are both serpentine belt setups which will probably have some minor slipping at all times, there is the possability that switching to a cog setup will gain me more power across the whole band.

But again, I don't understand how I can raise the slip threshold from 5500-6600 rpms, and it not gain power at 3500 rpms if the belt was severely slipping
Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does me saying I wouldnt go with a cog system if I had the stock blower , mean you wouldnt see gains thru out the rpm range . ANd any way..that post was before I logged the cog system . So I didnt know then what I know now .
See..again...you are just throwing anything out there ...just to be arguing.
YOU ,sure do love to argue about anything and every thing . Split a hair twenty ways just to keep it going .
Old 04-14-2007, 12:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/245367-cog-vs-serpentine-pros-and-cons.html

Quamen asked in post #4
Originally Posted by Quamen
booger-

So you are saying that you would prefer a cog then?
you replied in post #5 with:
Originally Posted by booger
In my case yes ....if I didnt have a T-trim blower....no..I would stay with the kit as is . Beside , the cost of having Vortech or some one else make a cog set up would be costly .

Where did you get the info that led you to believe you will get more vibration ? I'm not doubting you...just like to know where that info comes from . thanks
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Booger, I do think I might possibly gain some small amount of power with a cog setup

but I think it'd be mostly null below 10 psi in my case with my current belt setup. However 10psi and higher, I could see gaining 1, maybe even 2 psi

I realize that post you made was a few months old, and I'm not really meaning to use it as a major sticking point. Just pointing out you were expecting to reach quite a bit higher boost with the cog setup given the rpm you were slipping at on the stock belt system, but didn't think an S-trim would be worthwhile

you said you don't know what rpm your blower is at, so for anyone knows, some of the gains you have gotten have been from the possibility that the pulley ratio might be smaller than your older 3.12 pulley

Last edited by sentry65; 04-14-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
booger

Originally Posted by sentry65
I believe your facts that you gained power booger, again congrats

I also believe I have helped eliminate some slip from my belts with Timrod's belt setup because my facts are I now reach a full 12 psi instead of 10. However all the psi readings before reaching 10 are pretty much identical, so I'm thinking there probably wouldn't be a huge gain for me (at least below 10 psi) if I switched to a cog setup.

I guess I don't understand how I can gain more power where the belt is stressed the most and not where it's stressed the least

Though because timrod's and the stock belt setup are both serpentine belt setups which will probably have some minor slipping at all times, there is the possability that switching to a cog setup will gain me more power across the whole band.

But again, I don't understand how I can raise the slip threshold from 5500-6600 rpms, and it not gain power at 3500 rpms if the belt was severely slipping

I have yet to see any power gains yet . In fact...at 21.7 psi I lost whp to my 13 to 14psi dyno . How much I'll gain [ if any ] is yet to be seen .

I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH PSI YOU WOULD GAIN at lower rpm's . I showed you that MY T-trim made on averange 4 spi . Your blower maybe the exact psi gain and it maybe just 1 or 2 psi I DONT KNOW . But I DO KNOW it will gain from my findings .

With the the belt re-routing , you are raising the [total slipage] point . Not the slipage that occurs with every serp belt with load on it .

If you log a run with the serp belts cold . You will notice that your boost isnt quite as much as it normally is when the serp belt is hot . [ Gates serp belt grabs better when hot ] The difference isnt much , but its there and can be logged .
Old 04-14-2007, 12:37 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by booger
I have yet to see any power gains yet . In fact...at 21.7 psi I lost whp to my 13 to 14psi dyno . How much I'll gain [ if any ] is yet to be seen .

I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH PSI YOU WOULD GAIN at lower rpm's . I showed you that MY T-trim made on averange 4 spi . Your blower maybe the exact psi gain and it maybe just 1 or 2 psi I DONT KNOW . But I DO KNOW it will gain from my findings .

With the the belt re-routing , you are raising the [total slipage] point . Not the slipage that occurs with every serp belt with load on it .

If you log a run with the serp belts cold . You will notice that your boost isnt quite as much as it normally is when the serp belt is hot . [ Gates serp belt grabs better when hot ] The difference isnt much , but its there and can be logged .
we agree then

your results have been an interesting find and I'm glad to know about them
Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 PM
booger

we agree then

WOW.....its close to you actually saying someone you just spent two day arguing with is right and you were wrong . I'll except that...thanks !
Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I think we landed on the same page and when I saw that, I called a truce

I didn't think it's about who was right or wrong
I thought we both agreed on the same points

Last edited by sentry65; 04-14-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 PM
booger

If thats how you need to see it...then thats cool with me .
Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 PM
sentry65
the burninator

so what are you going to do if you can't get the T-trim to reach less than 16 psi? What about when winter comes and the boost rises? Are you going to go with a super huge pulley?

6 or more lbs seems like a lot to lose with a pulley change. I don't know what temp it is there now compared to december though

Last edited by sentry65; 04-14-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 PM
booger

so what are you going to do if you can't get the T-trim to reach less than 16 psi? What about when winter comes and the boost rises? Are you going to go with a super huge pulley?
lol.....the only reason Im going to a bigger pulley at this time . Is because I dont have the funds to buy a EMS right now . I really dont think it will reduce the boost that much [ I'll see next week ] But I hope to get it down so the last setting [ 16psi ] in the SS fuel map can keep it safe enough to drive and go to redline with out blowing up . As soon as it goes above 16psi , the settings stay at that setting . If boost goes to...say 18psi....I can set the fuel and timing to be safe at 16psi and 18psi with out worries .

I know you will post after me...JUST to be the last one to post . Along with loving to argue...you seem to have to get the last word in....thats cool ...! Go ahead !!! Im done playing the game with you now anyway !!!!!!

Last edited by booger; 04-16-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I hear you on the EMS funds, I was just curous what psi you were thinking you'd actually get down to

BTW, with that cog belt setup, it's 1 large belt right? or is it 2 belts like the ATI setup?
I was looking at Dsport's pictures and can't see down into the engine bay

I'm kinda wondering since you don't know what rpm your blower is spinning at compared to before (maybe some of your gains came from spinning it more?)
is there any possibility that some of the other pulleys are different diameters? Kinda like if the crank pulley was smaller, it would reduce boost, or if it was bigger, it'd increase boost
Attached Thumbnails Vortech   serp pulleys  VS   cog pulleys-img_0255.jpg   Vortech   serp pulleys  VS   cog pulleys-img_0253.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 04-14-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn, i was searching for pics on this cog setup and i just have to bring an old thread back.

just like sentry said in the last post, is there a way that some of the pulleys cause a change in ratio?

Just like changing the crank pulley to a larger pulley without changing any of the other pulleys will make the blower spin much faster (as seen on quaman's setup).

is there a way to possibly log the blower speed? i know you don't have this system anymore booger but maybe the person that has it could. Or maybe I could log what the blower speed is on my blower and then compare that to the calculated blower rpm from vortech. If I have 51k rpms on the blower and calculated i should have 53k then we can use that data to calculate how much my belt is slipping.