Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My SGP experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
BootieMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenk2
But a shop that is overworked is going to have problems as you must get the cars out ASAP and $hit gets overlooked.
Quality over quantity.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 PM
NoLimit

Originally Posted by Kenk2
Guys I am sure Mark and SGP have put out some really great numbers on numerous cars and have done great work.. But a shop that is overworked is going to have problems as you must get the cars out ASAP and $hit gets overlooked.. Hopefully they can chime in and do some explaining.. If not, there are PLENTY of other shops to take your ride to get tuned, built etc etc..
I don't get why people even Want or Need to hear from anyone at SGP!!???? WTF has to happen for people to start "seeing the light" about a shop?? G.D.!! Wake up people! This obviously "ain't" the only place people should be weary of either ......
Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by NoLimit
I don't get why people even Want or Need to hear from anyone at SGP!!???? WTF has to happen for people to start "seeing the light" about a shop?? G.D.!! Wake up people! This obviously "ain't" the only place people should be weary of either ......

Trying to be optimisic.. Trust me, I wouldnt go to SGP if they were 1 mile from me.. I simply will not throw someone under the bus without hearing the other side.. If they dont post, I will do my own digging and come up with my own conclusion..
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 PM
chris'smax

It's one thing for someone to overlook something on Joe Schmo's bolt on 350z (even that isn't right), but to overlook something on a car where the owner has done buisness with you in the past and has flown you out to miami to work specifically on his car really concerns me.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 AM
twenzel

wow, I had originally planned on having my car built there this summer. Patiently waiting a response.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Zivman
That said, you have to pay to play. the bad thing is, now that your car is running properly, it will only be a matter of time before you want more power. And more power = more money.
Yeah the more power bug hit a long time ago. I already have the AAM stage II fuel system sitting in my garage. I plan on upgrading my head studs to
L19's and turning up the boost. I am even contemplating upgrading the turbos to 20G's. I just have to wait a few months to save up some. My family keeps growing and it's taking away from my hobbies. For a minute there I was thinking about selling my entire set up and getting the GTM 4.2l with APS extreme TT, but I am not going to spend so much. When my 3 kids get out of the house I'll start playing big again, but that won't be for another 13-18 years.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:13 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Couldn't find anything better than the "chin up" guy to represent you. Sorry for all crap you've been through. I'm hoping for a much better experience.
Thanks bro. When does your beast come out of the stables?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:21 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Thanks bro. When does your beast come out of the stables?
Good question. I hope to get my motor soon so I figure after break-in and then tuning, it will be sometime late May or early June. Oh man I didn't see this guy....
Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Gman2004

Here are a few more things to **** me off about what SGP did to me.

1. I shipped them my stock block for the rebuild. Kyle was working with SGP at the time. He emailed pics of my bent rod and the new pistons I was getting. I asked what brand they were and he told me Wiseco. At the time I didn't know about what parts were the best so I asked him are there better pistons then that and he told me know. Well we all know the CP piston or Arias are a better choice. Here's what make this situation fuked up. SGP charged my for the long block with CP or Arias pistons. When I finally found out about what happened to me I told Mark and he said Kyle no longer works for the company because he was embelzling from them. Mark made no offer to refund me anything even though I got inferior parts while paying for the better parts.

2. When I shipped my car to SGP for the second motor build I told them I wanted their custom waste gates that dump into the atmoshpere. Mark told me he would hook me up and sell them to me at cost. Yeah right!

Here's what they are selling them for.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218575

And here is what I paid for mine.....$850. OUCH! I got ripped the *** off. Thanks Mark. I thought you where my friend.

I just noticed that I didn't pick up my car from Mark until Feb 2006 so if the dates don't match from my first post I just want everyone to know I am not lying. I posted the dates as I thought I remember. I was pretty close.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Gman2004

Proof that I am not lying.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Gman2004

I just remembered 1 more thing. If you look at the receipt above you'll see that I bought upgraded rotors. Well Mark never got them installed on the car before I picked it up so he shipped them to me and refunded the labor charges. Once I got them in Miami I took the car to a local shop to have them installed. When I picked up my car I thought the rotors looked kind of small compared to the stock ones, but I just thought that's how they were. Well a month or so later I went back to the shop that installed the rotors cause my boost controller was not working. I parked my car next to another G. The other G did not have brembos like mine and I relalized that I was shipped non brembo rotors. I called Mark and he said, "Didn't the shop notice they were not the right rotors." He send me a new pair and I shipped him the non brembos rotors, but that's beside the point. It was his fault for ordering the wrong rotors an then trys to pass the blame on the other shop. Sorry Mark that shop does not specialized in G so they wouldn't know the difference. Even though Mark sent me know rotors I still had to pay my rotor install labor twice. Again no compensation.

Now this can happen to any shop, but how many *** ups are acceptable? I think SGP has one to many and worst of all they have not tried to make up for any of them.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Enron Exec

Does that 850 for the wastegates include labor to install them?

Im sorry to hear about all the problems you have had. To be honest, ive dealt with many performance shops from guys working out of a 1400 sqft garage to full fledged performance shops like SGP and RSI, they all have some problems. Im not making excuses for anyone but modding cars is pretty hard work and it takes just 1 detail to be overlooked out of hundreds for something to go wrong. Its a labor of love i think. When it becomes a buisness of churning out cars, things like this can happen.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
Does that 850 for the wastegates include labor to install them?

Im sorry to hear about all the problems you have had. To be honest, ive dealt with many performance shops from guys working out of a 1400 sqft garage to full fledged performance shops like SGP and RSI, they all have some problems. Im not making excuses for anyone but modding cars is pretty hard work and it takes just 1 detail to be overlooked out of hundreds for something to go wrong. Its a labor of love i think. When it becomes a buisness of churning out cars, things like this can happen.
I don't know if it includes labor because it does not specify, but either way $850-$380 = $470. They were charging me $85/hr for labor by the looking at the reciept. There's no way in hell it took 5 hours to install the waste gate relocation kit considering the motor was already out of the car.

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-04-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
synth19

wow. this sux. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by Trav4011
SGP sucks.. period.. I build a car for a guy from Houston a few years ago.. He took it to SGP to have a fuel pressure regulator and a few other very miniscule things installed.. SGP took a ton of pics, and claimed that they had "built the car". I called them out on it, and they removed it from thier site. Lame..
Are you the guy that has some crazy maxima build going?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:26 AM
chris'smax

i just find it interesting that sgp has not come in here to defend theirselves
Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

I think you scared him Gman haha. I'm still waiting for some sort of defense from the other party. No response just supports your side even more.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris'smax
I guess they figure in a couple of days this thread will be buried five pages deep...

It suxs that you had a bad experience and although every shop is bound to mess soemthing up, it's how they handle the mess up that defines the shop.

I'm sure SGP will comment if they feel they have been trashed wrongly...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris'smax
+1000

The sooner they explain themselves the better.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Philthy
It suxs that you had a bad experience and although every shop is bound to mess soemthing up, it's how they handle the mess up that defines the shop.

I'm sure SGP will comment if they feel they have been trashed wrongly...
+1 million. If they would have done something to make the wrong right I wouldn't have posted. In fact I think I was more than patient enough........over 1 year!

I am done posting till Monday cause I am off on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. Woot woot!

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-04-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: My SGP experience