Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Custom Turbo Set up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 AM
MarshallLH08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Turbo Set up?

Ive been all over the Z and Supra forums. Ive done my searching and I have this question..

Why doesnt anyone do their own turbo setup for the Z. I spend most of my time on the supra forums and they're all doing custom setups. They pick the size turbo they want and go from there.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarshallLH08
Ive been all over the Z and Supra forums. Ive done my searching and I have this question..

Why doesnt anyone do their own turbo setup for the Z. I spend most of my time on the supra forums and they're all doing custom setups. They pick the size turbo they want and go from there.
no you haven't if you are asking this.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:42 AM
MarshallLH08

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
no you haven't if you are asking this.
Okay you obviously went with the JWT kit. Why didnt you do your own setup?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the same reason that was posted in all the other threads about this subject
Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 AM
MarshallLH08

alright ive been searching the topic "custom turbo setup" and i cant find anything

i guess your not going to help though...?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
for the same reason that was posted in all the other threads about this subject
At least link the guy and quit being a dick.. Geezs..

Honestly i've seen few threads on the topic myself..

But at a guess.. By the time you have a shop do the cus tom piping etc and get everything to fit.. You wouldn't be saving much if any.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:54 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On supras its a bit different because companies actually sell manifolds and downpipes seperately.

For the Z, I haven't seen a company sell turbo manifolds alone, they are included in kits.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 981 Likes on 744 Posts

theres a guy around marietta,ga that has a custom setup. hes in a redline z. He got a shop to do it for a good price and the shop said theyd never do it again
Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Fluid1

For engines like the VQ, which are not naturally turbo'd from the factory, it's tough. There's no companies who make exhaust manifolds for turbos on Z's....
I don't believe that you've searched much, if any.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are talking big money to get something like that done. I had one done on my Z and it ended with a blown motor due to my tuner and some issues he had with my girlfriend but that is a different story. If you are willing to get rid of some of your creature comforts it would be cheaper to have one built but since this car was not designed for a turbo there are many things that get in the way and require some attention to get pipes around and fit turbo parts in.

Personally, if you don't have the skills and resources to do 75% of the stuff on your own you will be trying to walk through a 20ft bog with a 2ft snorkel sucking in lots of mud. Making a turbo setup on these cars is not buying an aftermarket exhasut manifold and connecting you new turbo to an exsisting front mount similar to what you see on quite a few supras.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
iceburns288

You can do a custom turbo kit on a car like the S2000. I wouldn't on a Z though. There just isn't enough room in the engine bay to work with!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:24 PM
MarshallLH08

Right i know its much different because the Z is N/A.. and the Supra would be much easier beacsue of factory FI. i just used it as an example.
You would think someone out their has done a custom kit.I've just been looking for someone that did it and couldnt find anyone so i thought id post about it
Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

People have done it, they dont post here but I have seen a couple. Unless you are looking to just have a custom kit they have all said its not worth it in the end. The fab work is just a PITA because everything is so cramped and you are limited on turbo choices unless you want to start cutting up the body or build a tubular front end. In the end most people arnt going to need a custom one but its still cool to do.

Last edited by meatbag; 05-07-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Research and Development cost alot of money... no one is willing to spend that much money on research and delivery and trial and error.. the big companies already did that for you.. so why waste your time and money doing it.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's why most people don't do it:

It is likely you will end up with a less than satisfactory product that you paid more than you wanted for.

That, and there are several viable turbo kits available at reasonable prices already.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

Dont mind him The main reason most people do not go with "custom" setups is because most kits out there will tailor to the need that most people want. Supras aren't technically using custom setups, since one will use an HKS, greddy, sp, etc manifold, random t4 turbo, greddy or hks ic, 3-5'' downpipe.

So if you're going FI ask your self what you need out of a kit, and im sure the people on here can help you accordingly.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Zexy

The R&D reason is bull****. It does not take an engineer to custom tailor or pick parts for a turbo setup.

Maybe a good fabricator to design a good exhaust manifold but it doesn't take a genious to route pipes to an intercooler and to an intake manifold. Maybe a good fabricator which many do not have access to. Many Honda and Totoyta cars do it because readily available options for seperate components to make a custom setup.

IMO 350z owners are also too much of sheep to custom make absolutely anything when it comes to performance. Many settle with Greddy, APS, blah blah...
It might also come out to more money, and not readily available options for seperate exhaust manifolds and etc. but in the end a custom setup is worth for your specific goals.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
IMO 350z owners are also too much of sheep to custom make absolutely anything when it comes to performance. Many settle with Greddy, APS, blah blah...
It might also come out to more money, and not readily available options for seperate exhaust manifolds and etc. but in the end a custom setup is worth for your specific goals.
Where's your custom turbo kit biatch!!

JET
Old 05-06-2007, 10:42 PM
bacalhau16

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/191134-diy-turbo-kit.html

Here's a thread I started about this a while ago. I put my own price lists together, and thought about it day and night for while. I came to the conclusion that a used TN kit for about $2.5k-$3k is still a better option then anything I could put together.

If you read through my thread, there is actually a lot of useful information in there.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:15 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zexy
I don't agree there, and find your statement mildly offensive at the same time. If you've ever even seen the engine bay of a supra,or a factory TT supra, you'd understand how much easier it is to fabricate a turbo setup. Even shops such as Performance Motorsport and other high performance drag racing shops have used modified turbo KITS to build their street legal drag cars. There's really no reason to do it if you can get a fully developed kit that performs to your standards AND costs less.

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo Set up?