Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DIY turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:32 PM
bacalhau16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY turbo kit

has no one else ever looked at a TN single and thought, hey i could do that. As I am beginning to start a budget civic project car, (i plan on running mid 12's with only $1300 invested including car) i've been think a lot of designing my own turbo kit for the Z. I put together a pretty nice one for my 240sx, and a better one on an Integra.

I know this sounds kinda weird but i honestly can't see why it couldnt be done. Doing intercooler piping is rediculously easy, so in all honesty a TT setup maybe even easier. I've spent most of my week on JGStools.com and homemadeturbo.com trying to see if it was possible.

Has anyone made any manifolds for the Z yet? It seems like this is the hardest obsticule.

Also, as weird as this thread may seem to some people, i am serious and would like to see if it can be done. Any useful comments would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 PM
LvntheZ

it would be better to build ur own.......i had that idea but its still complicated and you need alot of parts and other things.......and manifolds i havnt seen any......i would like FULLRACE to come up with some then thats when the party starts.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
bacalhau16

actually me and mine friend were just saying that and i was gonna plan on e-mailing them, or contacting them about it possibly.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:21 PM
chimmike

a V6 engine setup is FAR different than an inline setup. It's quite a bit more difficult than you think to make a setup like that. Look at the TN kit and tell me you think it was easy to design.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by lvnthez
i would like FULLRACE to come up with some then thats when the party starts.

how is this? Do you expect them to make a pulse converter unequal length design? Have you looked at the clearance issues lately?

Seriously. Some of you guys need to put rocks in your shoes and get outta the clouds.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
bacalhau16

alright so lets see. Greddy, APS, Turbonetics, JWT, have all made turbo kits for the Z, but Full Race, or even ourselves could not. Not all of us just give a shop $7k and have them do everything. i am a hands on person. I understand that there will obviously be clearance issues.

Again, i say, i would like comments from those who are willing to participate in a in-depth conversation about customizing a turbo kit. All others dont bother.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
bacalhau16

Originally Posted by chimmike
a V6 engine setup is FAR different than an inline setup. It's quite a bit more difficult than you think to make a setup like that. Look at the TN kit and tell me you think it was easy to design.
I have looked at the TN single and thats why i posted that it may even be easier to make a TT set-up due to the complecation of the piping in the single.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:13 PM
chimmike

I'm here to tell you, right here, right now, it's gonna cost you more in the long run to fab your own setup than it will to purchase a kit. If you don't believe me, come back in a year after you've dumped 10k into it trying to get it to work well.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:14 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1300 will maybe get you the parts needed to turbo the car...not including the car and every thing else needed
Old 05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
mojo powered

if a company along the lines of revhard or even turbonetics made cast turbo manifolds for the Z, I think lots of people would put their turbo kits together. But the only cast log-style manifolds I know of that can be bought separately are the PEs and they cost a fortune. Sure, you could probably get tubular SS manifolds but with the cost, it defeats the purpose and you might as well go with a kit.

With the Greddy kit with intercooling being priced at low to mid $5k, it's hard to beat it with a custom setup.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:15 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I had a turbo civic with a homemade kit but it was so ghetto I sold it and got the greddy one. The HF/STD manifold along with the muffler shop piping just looked like ish. Imagining how crappy it was on the civic I could never do that to the Z. If you ever get it done on Z post PICS!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM
bacalhau16

i understand that it may not and will not look as good as the greddy kit, or an aps kit, but i feel if the right parts were bought, and time was taken that it could be done. I was estimating parts to be about $3000 or so.

Custom made manifolds- $700
Twin T3 turbos $650-700
Intercooler $300
Piping $250
Downpipes $350
Injectors $200-$350 (buy a used set if possible)
BOV $100 (used forge or greddy -s)
Fuel management $400-1500

On the low end it would be about $3000, which i guess after doing it out does seem high. But thats still $2500 less then the closest TT setup and about $1500 less then a single.
On the high end with an AEM EMS, or another standalone, It would be about $4100. Thats a little more pricey and is kinda defeating the purpose already.

I do have a good welder who would consider helping me with this, thats why i could probably get the manifolds and piping done relatively cheaply.

With the manifolds, i was figuring after they were welded up, send them to get heat treated to reduce cracking and hopefully lower underhood temps a little.

This is a little on the extreme side, i was just trying to see if this is possible, and honestly feel that its not that far off. If anyone has any suggestions on saving a buck or two in this purposed set-up, help me out!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
bacalhau16

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I had a turbo civic with a homemade kit but it was so ghetto I sold it and got the greddy one. The HF/STD manifold along with the muffler shop piping just looked like ish. Imagining how crappy it was on the civic I could never do that to the Z. If you ever get it done on Z post PICS!
Yes, the hf manifolds end up looking like crap, as does the rest of the car is thats how it starts. But if time was takin', and the care taken, to make it look good, the end result will be better improved.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

My HM kit costed me 600 bucks from a boneyard on Alpha Street by Irwindale Socal (took too much time to source parts). Was too time consuming for me on the 1st kit. As far as the car and care I do agree with you, better than stock.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:03 PM
bacalhau16

i already have a lot of the little parts lying around the garage; clamps, oil lines, fittings, and anything i cant get, i already know where to look. I realize that this wouldnt be as easy as a turbo kit for a civic, but if you slowed down and thought about it, its not that far off. Other then a single turbo setup. i still havent figured that one out yet.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Metal Heart

Honestly... here's the thing.
I thought about doing this as well... even had a shop ready to back with me the idea of doing custom twin manifolds for the kit.
Total cost was to be about 4k.
And then I find a used GReddy kit with E-manage ultimate and the autosport harness, the Type RS BOV and the FMIC all with only 2k miles on em - for 4k. So I just went with that. People with Zs who want to be concious of spending won't go custom... they'll go used. And thats the thing.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:30 PM
S12 driver

I think if you're seriously want to build a kit, you have to copy some of the big company's design. TN's piping are complicated, it's not easy to fabricate. APS's single turbo system seems easier to duplicate. But you'll need to find out how they do the oil system for the turbo.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:42 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now if you got a set of ebay headers and cut the collector off and welded the turbo flange on it, you may be able to do the manifolds for that price. most fab guys will charge ya $80-$100 an hour, no way possible you will do full custom for $700. you will be $100+ just cutting the flanges! figure $1500 full custom. then if your lengths are not perfect, you will be modding your exhaust too. more $
don't get me wrong, i am all for building your stuff by hand, but you may be underestimating abit here.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:56 PM
bhk1004

u
Old 05-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Metal Heart

Originally Posted by overZealous1
now if you got a set of ebay headers and cut the collector off and welded the turbo flange on it
You know ... I don't think anyone's ever tried that?
It could be done, probably wouldn't be the best flowing thing in the world, but I bet it'd work. If for nothing else than to make a design that works for mass production.

Quick Reply: DIY turbo kit