Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scenehouser
was afraid your argument would come up and that's why i gave many reasons in my original post but here they come again:

- it's entirely unsure right now if there will ever be a step 4 (built engine) so a supercharger is a safer match with the stock block.

Newbie myth. Just because you have a TT that "can" push 600hp doens't mean it will. Running 400hp on a safe tune TT is the same as 400hp on a safe tune S/C. I don't understand the basis of thought for TT being more dangerous.

- i want to do all the work myself and installing a tt kit right now goes over my head but i'm confident a supercharger install doesn't.

I had more trouble installing my vortech kit than anything i've done so far. Nothing lines up well and it's just a pain in the butt. The worst part of putting my built motor in was installing the vortech back on it.

- i need to learn to do the mapping of the ecu myself and mapping a supercharger is a lot simpler than mapping a turbo.

Says who? You said you will use the same ECU when you upgrade so it'll be the same tuning.

-if i finish the project right away the car will be for sale again 3 months later. unfortunately that's how it works with me.

Not really sure what to comment here. You don't speak as if you have a professional degree so I'm confused how you have money to just throw stuff away. Also, it takes longer than 3 months to get any FI setup and all the bugs out.

- i have experience with tuned turbo cars but not with supercharger so it's always nice to do something new.

So you have experience with tuned turbo cars yet you want to go with a supercharger because it will be "easier"? Won't it be easier to do something you already know?

- the vortech tuner kit will be around 4000usd.. almost all of the other extra parts like ems/ecu, fuel system etc will be reusable for a possible tt tuner kit so the loss on the sc to tt switch will be acceptable.

Very true, those parts are reusable but if you spend 6k on a TT tuner then you are 6k into the car. If you spend 4k on a supercharger then later spend 6k on the TT you are actually just wasting 4k. There are NO savings when building a system then changing to another system. The only way is if for some reason vortech superchargers increased in value somewhere along the line.

In bold above. No offense to you but your reasoning and comments sound like a person that comes on this forum and talks all this up then disappears. I hope that's not the case because i like seeing builds and things as people progress.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
scenehouser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> Newbie myth. Just because you have a TT that "can" push 600hp doens't mean it will. Running 400hp on a safe tune TT is the same as 400hp on a safe tune S/C. I don't understand the basis of thought for TT being more dangerous.

torque is what's hard on the engine.. vortech 400hp & 300ft/lb vs tt 400bhp & 400ft so the tt will put more stress on the engine.

> I had more trouble installing my vortech kit than anything i've done so far. Nothing lines up well and it's just a pain in the butt. The worst part of putting my built motor in was installing the vortech back on it.

i'm not sure how to comment here.. maybe it has something to do with your mechanical skills?

> Says who? You said you will use the same ECU when you upgrade so it'll be the same tuning.

with a supercharger the boost is fixed to the rpm so A LOT less cells have to be mapped compared to a tt setup where the boost can be anything at a certain rpm.

> Not really sure what to comment here. You don't speak as if you have a professional degree so I'm confused how you have money to just throw stuff away. Also, it takes longer than 3 months to get any FI setup and all the bugs out.

i have my own company and make more than a 100k euro per year. oh and i also got a university degree. why don't you start writing in dutch so i can judge your language skills...

Originally Posted by binder
In bold above. No offense to you but your reasoning and comments sound like a person that comes on this forum and talks all this up then disappears. I hope that's not the case because i like seeing builds and things as people progress.
no offense but your reasoning and comments sound like a person that has been on this forum for a while and looks down on people like me who have less experience with tuning z's.

Last edited by scenehouser; 01-18-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
binder

> Newbie myth. Just because you have a TT that "can" push 600hp doens't mean it will. Running 400hp on a safe tune TT is the same as 400hp on a safe tune S/C. I don't understand the basis of thought for TT being more dangerous.

torque is what's hard on the engine.. vortech 400hp & 300ft/lb vs tt 400bhp & 400ft so the tt will put more stress on the engine.

> I had more trouble installing my vortech kit than anything i've done so far. Nothing lines up well and it's just a pain in the butt. The worst part of putting my built motor in was installing the vortech back on it.

i'm not sure how to comment here.. maybe it has something to do with your mechanical skills?

> Says who? You said you will use the same ECU when you upgrade so it'll be the same tuning.

with a supercharger the boost is fixed to the rpm so A LOT less cells have to be mapped compared to a tt setup where the boost can be anything at a certain rpm.

> Not really sure what to comment here. You don't speak as if you have a professional degree so I'm confused how you have money to just throw stuff away. Also, it takes longer than 3 months to get any FI setup and all the bugs out.

i have my own company and make more than a 100k euro per year. oh and i also got a university degree. why don't you start writing in dutch so i can judge your language skills...

no offense but your reasoning and comments sound like a person that has been on this forum for a while and looks down on people like me who have less experience with tuning z's.

lol....so you are a newbie then because you took offense to everything i said. My mechanical skills? I BUILD motors. I'm pretty sure my mechanical skills aren't lacking. Start building motors and then we'll see about skills. Vortech kits don't line up well and it takes a lot of banging and beating to get things to line up. Way more time consuming than putting an engine in. Do both then come back and tlel me which sucked more. I speak from experience on the matter.

vortech is more like 400 torque and 400hp. They run close to the same torque and hp. Not exact, but close.

and no, i don't look down. I've just been here long enough and seen enough "build threads" only to see the person disappear before they even start on it. Usually it's people that have some wild long plan setup. I'm just saying your post fits that description. I didn't say that you would do that.

Ask anyone on the forum that knows me, i'm far from looking down at newbies. Quite a few members on here have my personal phone number and contact me regularly for help and questions. If i looked down on newbies then why would i hand out my phone number so they could ask questions?

waste the money on the supercharge then throw away the car if that's what you want. You'll probably find most members on here that own FI cars will tell you that it's more of a pain and a waste of your time to even do anything besides go straight to what your goal is.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
scenehouser

yes i took offense because your reply had a condescending tone which it's not very nice (:

and i can tell you didn't like it when i did the same to you.

anyways now we're even so let's be friends.. (:

btw i understand where you're scepticism comes from.. only time can tell if í'm just another dreamer.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

I think binder is....good guy. He doesn't give wrong advice to another members...even if he did, that i no he will fix it. Not like other guy keep throw up wrong advice from their mouth. be coo man, no fighting.

Im just hopin that he changes that avator...i'm tired of looking at same bike picture...lol
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
CeBrwn5454

Change of topic a bit...

Just drove my car tonight and noticed that the cog belt tensioner pulley (back side of the blower bracket in the middle) is making a duck quacking nosie. Chef-J, binder...one of you guys point me in the right direction for a replacement. (Either Vortech or Superchargersonline plz!) I think the bearing might have gone bad...thats what it sounds like. Or other options?? I'm open to ideas!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by CeBrwn5454; 01-18-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Have you try take off the belt and spin out pulley? There was video on youtube shows that bad bearing sounds but i went back to look for but it's gone...I think str8dum1 had bad bearing, i'm sure he knows better.
I'm sorry, i have not hear bad bearing sounds in person or experience, can not help about that.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
CeBrwn5454

Thanks Chef. At this point I am looking to replace the pulley. I need to look tomorrow to make sure it is installed properly. As everyone else with the Vortech set-up my cog tensioner pulley has been on and off so many times...looking at the pictures on the first page of this thread makes me wonder if I "f'ed" it up. Either way its making a noise and I need to find out where I can get a replacement.

Help?

Last edited by CeBrwn5454; 01-18-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does your cog belt show any signs of wear?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
CeBrwn5454

Originally Posted by - bigc -
does your cog belt show any signs of wear?
No.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 998 Likes on 758 Posts

binder = fail. Vortech does not output 400hp and 400tq....the tq will always be much lower.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
CeBrwn5454

Originally Posted by Cux350z
binder = fail. Vortech does not output 400hp and 400tq....the tq will always be much lower.
Agreed, he mispoke; yet he is VERY knowledgeable about the Vortech kits and many other VQ35 related matters.

Answers to my issue plz.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd loosen your serp belt and spin the blower and see if the noise is still there.

not sure how you could mess that up, but like everything they do wear over time.

Originally Posted by CeBrwn5454
Change of topic a bit...

Just drove my car tonight and noticed that the cog belt tensioner pulley (back side of the blower bracket in the middle) is making a duck quacking nosie. Chef-J, binder...one of you guys point me in the right direction for a replacement. (Either Vortech or Superchargersonline plz!) I think the bearing might have gone bad...thats what it sounds like. Or other options?? I'm open to ideas!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Thanks Chef. At this point I am looking to replace the pulley. I need to look tomorrow to make sure it is installed properly. As everyone else with the Vortech set-up my cog tensioner pulley has been on and off so many times...looking at the pictures on the first page of this thread makes me wonder if I "f'ed" it up. Either way its making a noise and I need to find out where I can get a replacement.

Help?
You can touch with superchargersonline first, that's just my two cents if you looking for parts. The guy knows pretty well about Z.
But you can simply spin a pulley and look bearing see if you hear awful sound. If not, I wouldn't say bad bearing. You gotta remember tho, there are so many pulleys, ofcourse it makes all kind of noise. Even you installed wrong (tensioner pulley) I wouldn't assume you need to replace it. How many milies now? You just notice that noise?

Its really hard to give you an advice without the car front of us...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 AM
CeBrwn5454

Thanks for all the advice guys...yes I know its hard to diagnose anything without both seeing and hearing it. First, I am going to make sure it is installed correctly. Tomorrow I will have to time take a look and if everything looks good on the install I will give superchargersonline a call. I'll check back then.

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
binder

yes i took offense because your reply had a condescending tone which it's not very nice (:

and i can tell you didn't like it when i did the same to you.

anyways now we're even so let's be friends.. (:

btw i understand where you're scepticism comes from.. only time can tell if í'm just another dreamer.
ya, i do'nt mean hate. I get misunderstood quite easily and that's my fault. I have a very blunt attitude so it comes accross kind of hard to people that aren't used to it or through online since you can't hear how i say something. Hopefully everything works out for you because i like seeing new builds.

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Im just hopin that he changes that avator...i'm tired of looking at same bike picture...lol
i love that picture! That is me during mid-america show during the mid america bike race. good times

Change of topic a bit...

Thanks guys!
If it's making noise then the bearing is done (and will probably soon die completely). I haven't had mine off in awhile but i believe there is a C clip that holds it in place and you can take the bearing out easily. Remove the bearing and you can replace it with a bearing of the same number from any parts store. We have a local bearing place. It will have the number of the bearing right on the side.

Originally Posted by Cux350z
well, this is were i estimated. Usually high 300's for a hp of 400 on the s/c. You are right, they aren't exact but they are usually close from all the dyno charts i've seen on here. The difference between high 300 and a 400 trq isn't going to be the difference between reliable and boom. Tuning will make that difference. 380 can kill a motor and 450 can also be reliable. generically speaking don't pick a system just because you will yield lower torque per hp. Just tune it correctly.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
CeBrwn5454

Thank you binder!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
binder

Thank you binder!
no problem. I figured that might be faster than ordering if you have local access to bearings. If not then i would order one because you'll need it reguardless by the sound of things.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
superlb

Originally Posted by binder

Also, Oldman350z and Str8 both sent a website that showed intercoolers. Those nice big intercoolers were only around 300$ and would flow perfectly for a t-trim. A 700$ intercooler over the top.
hey Binder~~couldn't find the the website they sent. can you find it.
thinking to go t-trim, thanks for your input about t-trim, it's really help!!!

Last edited by superlb; 01-19-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

http://www.icevex.com/products_40m.html

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions