Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TT White Smoke Under Boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 PM
littlegbuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine now does this too. I have about 20K on the kit but now I m just to embarrassed to boost just to leave everyone in a huge cloud of smoke. This really sux.

Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW I didnt know all these people are having problems. I guess I feel a little better knowing that this problem isnt for a few members. Add your name to the list of white smoke and bad turbo..

1. Solidsnake
2. Jetpilot
Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by michaelbrown13
I'm now on my 3rd Turbonetics turbo unit for my 2005 350Z. The 1st unit went 6 months before smoking, the 2nd and now the 3rd about 30 days. I do not drive my car hard. When I excelerate I get white exhaust smoke as it shifts through each gear and again when back off the gas pedal and decelerate, it's very imbarrassing. People try to stop you to tell "your cars smoking man".
The 1st and 2nd units were installed by AAM, Altered Atmosphere Motorsports, in Maryland and the last unit was done by PTuning here in Manassas, VA. All installations were done according to spec and worked fine for the time periods I mentioned above, then they started to smoke, so it's not the shops fault.
On the 1st installation I had AAM install their oil pan spacer, with oil line taps so they wouldn't have to tab into the oil pan itself. The system now has use of 6 quarts of Amzoil racing oil, instead of the normal 5 quarts.
PTuning thinks it could be just as simple as Turbonetics "oursourcing" the production of their turbo units and have gotten some bad units (but 3 in a row). Or, maybe the connectors that connect the oil lines to the turbo units are too small, causing the oil to back up in the turbo unit and blow the seal, then the oil gets blown into the cylnders and burned.
Yes, we've tried changing spark plugs, running compression test and the Z motor is fine, thank god.
Next week I'm going to call Reggie, again, get another unit and spend another $600.00 to get the old unit removed and the new one installed, but I would love to hear if other Z and G owner's have encountered this same problem.
By the way if you live in NOVA, PTuning is a great place to get H/P parts and service done. Check them out at www.ptuning.com. If you call them ask to speak to Mike or Tuan.
Help!!
At least you got 30days out of your third unit. I got maybe an hour tops. Threw it ont he dyno and nearly killed the tuners with all the smoke
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Well it doesn't seem that you are any luckier than me because I always cooled my car down and used the TN oil but for some reason still had thermal failure.

My report said.......

"Well it seems that your turbo has suffered coking ( oil residue buildup ) on the components from either hot shutdowns and or viscosity breakdown high engine temp."

Thats total BS. This cant be the problem. And considering he only had it for 30days I dont think thats why it went bad. Turbonetics really needs to get this problem fixed. Not all of us are loaded with money and the downtown sucks the most.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I'm not saying some people haven't run the oil return into the lower pan successfully. But others have had it cause issues.
This has been discussed time and time again. Basic knowledge of flow characteristics makes it clear that an unresticted gravity dump is more efficient than one that has to have issues with what ever is going on in your sump at a given time, under varying conditions.

Tapping the upper pan is is a simple proccedture that can be reversed with a brass 3/8 NPT plug ( Hell, you even have a little bling )

Why tempt fate ?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:00 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
This has been discussed time and time again. Basic knowledge of flow characteristics makes it clear that an unresticted gravity dump is more efficient than one that has to have issues with what ever is going on in your sump at a given time, under varying conditions.

Tapping the upper pan is is a simple proccedture that can be reversed with a brass 3/8 NPT plug ( Hell, you even have a little bling )

Why tempt fate ?
This is exactly my point Eazzy and I'm glad you agree. For something that is quickly plugged in the future and is certain to provide the absolute least flow restriction to the unpressurized gravity return why would you not tap the upper pan. My car has the upper pan tapped. I haven't had an issue yet...

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 05-22-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:17 AM
josh846

I would say that more than half of the people with a TN kit has had oil seal issues. The TN kit was a waste of $5k. I would recommend that no one every buy a TN product. I had mine replaced once, haven't driven the car in 5 months now, been sitting at a shop, it has maybe 200 miles on it since the reinstall, and well guess what, it is blowing smoke again go figure. Of course TN says it is bad install, but they are just passing the blame. I tried to get them to replace the seals in the re-built turbo again but they said no it is out of my 1 year warranty. I have not put over 2k miles on the car with the TN kit. It has been problem after problem.

DO NOT BUY Turbonetics turbos
Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb question, but does these people actually smell "oil" when they are following your car? And how much smoke are we talking about....space shuttle launch style, or just a light puff.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
space shuttle launch style
Hahaha
Old 05-27-2007, 11:28 AM
redline350ZZ

Dumb question, but does these people actually smell "oil" when they are following your car? And how much smoke are we talking about....space shuttle launch style, or just a light puff.
When I took my wastegate off yesterday a frappuccino poured out..yummmm
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
solidsnake

When I took my wastegate off yesterday a frappuccino poured out..yummmm
Old 05-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Eazzy

Sharif---On Solidsnakes car it has an odor while driving/boosting and a strong oder when stopped-----Much more to add, but Im working on several things on the car
Old 05-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Weqster

Turbonetics are known in the industry for there ****ty oil seals. Read any forum and u get the same story. U guys are better off with a SSAC chinese turbo!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Sharif---On Solidsnakes car it has an odor while driving/boosting and a strong oder when stopped-----Much more to add, but Im working on several things on the car
Just double checking.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Eazzy

Just double checking.
I have videos also ---This week is Leak down test and Comp-All evac lines have been routed to their advantage----Im testing Evac circulation also this week. From there ---If all chks out ---back to TN again and consideration maybe to a coolin improvement, either water, air, Oil ????? I will cross that bridge when I get to it. At this time, Im not pointing fingers, Where there is a problem there is a solution and time will tell.

It still Chaps my *** though
Old 05-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The situation with Turbontics and their turbo's smoking is appauling. I have had 4 Turbo's as well. There are many others with this problem. Turbonetics refuses to do anything or adress the issue. I returned my turbo to them and they said they inspected it and theat they found nothing wrong and stated it was another issue with my car which is BS. I wouldn't pull your turbo out unless you are going to replace it with a Garrett GT35 unit. It's a waste of money to just put another Turboentics turbo back in to have the same issue. You will have to convert it to a Garrett to solve the problem.
JET
This is probably one of the most constructive idea I seen come from you in regards to the Turbonetic kit in a long time. Care to elaborate? Share some details bro. Or just PM me with... Whatever.

Personally I just want it to work. I could really care less who's name is on the product.

I know that Turbonetics has OUTSTANDING cutomer service in regards to supporting our members. I would'nt have even considered this kit if it wasn't for MIAPLAYA and Alberto rave reviews. Let us be real shall we, It doesn't matter how great the customer service is if you're constantly having to address the same issues time and again, that same customer service is gonna take a hit for it.

Still... I'm sure that Turbonetics is working to resolve these issue. Lets allow them some time. I have a feeling that everything will work it'self out. If I remember correctly it wasn't too long ago when they just gave away FREE updates to that pesky little "overboost" problem everyone was having... Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
redline350ZZ

It wont help the people that are out if warranty tho.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Havok_RLS2

It wont help the people that are out if warranty tho.
Very true but that hasn't stopped people like MIAPLAYA, Reggie and Ed from helping us out anyways.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 05-29-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
greddyturb0

not sure if its the same but from my experince dealing with my celica usually the white smoke means ur running lean but seeing there are soo many people with the problem that cannot be the case, also my car was blowing out smoke too when i boosted but i went down the B&T motors in lorton VA and they installed a breather hose so that could be it. im not too fimiliar with the Z yet but try looking into the brather hose or atleast talk to the shop that did the work for you.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by greddyturb0
not sure if its the same but from my experince dealing with my celica usually the white smoke means ur running lean but seeing there are soo many people with the problem that cannot be the case, also my car was blowing out smoke too when i boosted but i went down the B&T motors in lorton VA and they installed a breather hose so that could be it. im not too fimiliar with the Z yet but try looking into the brather hose or atleast talk to the shop that did the work for you.
Not a bad idea. Might also want to look into a high quality oil catch can.

In the meantime Ed from Turbonetics is currently looking into other option that may address and solve all our turbo seal issues. Water cooled Baby!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=TURBONETICS

Quick Reply: TT White Smoke Under Boost