Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TT White Smoke Under Boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that many of the repeat issues with turbos aren't caused by multiple bad turbos. It's a case of people being stubborn and refusing to check everything on their system but instead blaming it on the turbo as it's the easiest component to blame. If you install a turbo with new seals and it's still blowing smoke, you need to check all other components of the system. It's just common sense. My first suggestion would be to install a braided SS oil return line.

I have a feeling that some of these multi smoking turbo cases are actually an easy fix that people haven't looked into first hand, but may be relying upon a shop to mis-evaluate.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
So I'm guess you are returning oil to the AAM pan spacer and not the tapped block?
Im just about sick of this controversy---- I give up. JESUS FUKCKIN CHRIST ( apologys to those of faith ) its just basic common sense and the "cover your *** factor"

Last edited by Eazzy; 05-30-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Very true but that hasn't stopped people like MIAPLAYA, Reggie and Ed from helping us out anyways.
And thanks to them and others, this is a situation that can be remedied.

BTW tauran -----This particular unit has all the i's dotted and t's crossed from evac-- to dump-- to feed-- to slight subframe mods for clearences-- to catch can-- to checks and re checks on tubing/connector fits-- to spark plug ranging-- to leakdown/compression tests.

Also other things that will be covered in future posts when the situation is remedied.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
And thanks to them and others, this is a situation that can be remedied.

BTW tauran -----This particular unit has all the i's dotted and t's crossed from evac-- to dump-- to feed-- to slight subframe mods for clearences-- to catch can-- to checks and re checks on tubing/connector fits-- to spark plug ranging-- to leakdown/compression tests.

Also other things that will be covered in future posts when the situation is remedied.
Nice.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Tekwon-V

Originally Posted by taurran
I know that many of the repeat issues with turbos aren't caused by multiple bad turbos. It's a case of people being stubborn and refusing to check everything on their system but instead blaming it on the turbo as it's the easiest component to blame. If you install a turbo with new seals and it's still blowing smoke, you need to check all other components of the system. It's just common sense.
amen.

i frequently get underneath my car to inspect "things in general" and i noticed my drain line was kinked a little by the thicker sway bar. it really wasnt even a kink, it was just kinda rubbing/leaning against it. i adjusted to proper fit and it was all good. i think this is critical; especially if you are not using a braided drain line (me!).

i also zip-tied the a/c line (standard wrap, no additional wraps) to random anchor points so that it's away from hot things.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Tekwon-V
amen.

i frequently get underneath my car to inspect "things in general" and i noticed my drain line was kinked a little by the thicker sway bar. it really wasnt even a kink, it was just kinda rubbing/leaning against it. i adjusted to proper fit and it was all good. i think this is critical; especially if you are not using a braided drain line (me!).

i also zip-tied the a/c line (standard wrap, no additional wraps) to random anchor points so that it's away from hot things.
Finally... face the facts. You are turbocharging a factory N/A car. People have to realize there are several other things that need to get looked at regularly. I would do the same regardless of the kit installed on my car. Greddy kits have burned through power steering lines and burned up coil pack. So people have adapted to prevent this. Has Greddy changed one aspect of their design to fix these. Nope. People need to inspect their cars more.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
greddyturb0

very true. i honestly think it is something that all kits have because it is impossible that everyone is blowing smoke due to broken seals, for those of you whoa re still having this issue i would suggest looking into a breather hose. and regardless of how many cars a shop has turbo'd if they dont specialie in ur car theres a chance they are missing something. as for the people not running stainless braided lines, sooner or later you will be trust me on this one so why not avoid the headache and upgrade right now. also from what ive heard the water cooled turbos are not as proficient as they were claimed to be, not sur ebut i read it somewhere that they are only good for a certain type of setups.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I'd love to see a list of everyone with the problem.
FWIW Mine blew white smoke on decel just about a year after getting the kit (and it was not driven all winter). We checked the PCV etc and everything looked fine. I replaced the turbo and the problem went away. I am tapped into the block per kit instructions, not using spacer or anything special. TN covered me under warranty but the downtime sucked (they would not take a CC for the replacement turbo either). It had to be the turbo seals.
I expect it may happen again.
One thing I noticed though is that the original turbo had more play in it than the replacement.

Last edited by 35ounces; 05-31-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is this smoke eminating from? Around the housing in the engine bay or form the exhaust.

I smoke out the exhaust probably becasue of my rich A/F ratio and it is black smoke, not white.

As far as anyoen can tell, is my turbo okay?

(car pulled like hell when it was equipped with the kit and I am putting it back on very very soon)
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM
greddyturb0

bluish black smoke = runing rich. did you get it tuned after you got the turbo installed because if not your running a lil rich and it can cause damage to the engine slowly. white smoke from the exhaust is running lean and thats even more dangerous. blu you should get your car tuned and lean it out a bit and you might even gain some hp and ur gas milage might improve a little. btw how many of you have a wideband installed in your boosted Z? if you dont you better get one quick because its the best way to monitor your car.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Finally... face the facts. You are turbocharging a factory N/A car. People have to realize there are several other things that need to get looked at regularly. I would do the same regardless of the kit installed on my car. Greddy kits have burned through power steering lines and burned up coil pack. So people have adapted to prevent this. Has Greddy changed one aspect of their design to fix these. Nope. People need to inspect their cars more.

C'mon Rob. This problem is much too prevalent to simply be a maintenance issue. Pipes rubbing PS lines is one thing, turbo seals going bad en mass is another.
Do I need to replace the oil return line from the kit to prevent the problem from recurring?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
greddyturb0

do you have a oil catch can? if not get one. if so how much oil are you catching in it?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by greddyturb0
do you have a oil catch can? if not get one. if so how much oil are you catching in it?
To be honest that one thing I always thought should have come with any of these kits.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by 35ounces
C'mon Rob. This problem is much too prevalent to simply be a maintenance issue. Pipes rubbing PS lines is one thing, turbo seals going bad en mass is another.
Do I need to replace the oil return line from the kit to prevent the problem from recurring?
I would replace it. Get an SS braided return line with a 45 degree fitting for the tapped return.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
michaelbrown13

Default TN Fix

So I'm guess you are returning oil to the AAM pan spacer and not the tapped block?
Yes. My guys at P Tuning have analyzed the situation, spoken to Reggie (Turbonetics) several times and they have determined that returning the oil to the oil pan via the spacer is a bad application. Currently the lines tap into the spacer and the spacer is above the oil pan. They all agree that since the oil returning to the pan is gravity fed, that the lines need to be tapped into the pan and at the bottom of the pan at that. So my z is back in the shop having the 4th TN turbo unit installed, the oil lines tapped into the lowest part of the side of the oil pan, leaving the spacer installed, as I like the comfort of having the 6th quart of oil, then installing the water cooling kit from TN to run coolant thru the TN turbo unit for good (cooling) meaure.
It is supposed to be ready for P/U Monday afternoon. I'll let you know if this is the fix or not in 30+ days of actual driving. Wish me luck. Otherwise, I'll have to go with Jetpilot and get the APS single turbo unit.
Stay tuned!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbonetics just slammed you with a dirty sanchez! Aks Taurran how his oil pan spacer caused his oil selas to fail!

Why don't you add your name to this list.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....etics+oil+seal

JET
Old 06-02-2007, 12:53 AM
redline350ZZ

Weird and what is this water-cooling kit available all of a sudden. Is this only for special people?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 AM
636Racer

I have the spacr and the braided line kit, would it be safe to just go with 5qt rather than fill up to 6qt that the spacer was intended for?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 AM
greddyturb0

ditch the spacer. oh and btw how much is Ptunning charging you for labor? cuz i am local too i might go check them out. and as far as the issue goes 2 things come to mind, either the kit is lacking something i.e information or qequipment that can acutally perform or TN just doesnt care about the quality of their product, nothing against TN but just having good customer service is not enough eventhough they will replace your turbo not everyone can afford to go back n forth to a shop and pay for all that labor. Eventhough id like to get a kit myself so i can see what could be the possible problem( i bet its something small that everyone is overlooking) but having the Z as a DD would leave me broke and without a ride. hey michaelbrown did you talk to B&T motors or inline pro, eventhough they only deal with hondas they might have some idea of the issue.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Weird and what is this water-cooling kit available all of a sudden. Is this only for special people?
It's always been an option, actually. Turbonetics will sell a modified turbo with the kit but you have to go through them first to get it set up. All it is, is a new bearing housing and some braided water lines with fittings on the ends.

Quick Reply: TT White Smoke Under Boost