Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which clutch to get for my TT setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 PM
NoLimit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
I have driven $500-600 clutches on multiple cars. I spent the big money on an ATS multiface carbon. Unless you driven both, please don't comment. While I didn't mind the single faced setups for considerably less money, they are cheaper for a reason. the multiface carbons are vastly superior and worth the extra money.

You can argue till you are blue in the face, but like bullitproof said, there is a reason some clutches cost 500 and others cost 2K.
If he can get the 'normal' price for the triple carbon, then yes, I would get it too. It would be the same cost as a flywheel and clutch purchase!

And I Commented b/c I HAVE both, ... a race prepped G35 with the ATS triple, and now my daily driver with the South Bend DxD and Exedy.

Since he's getting a killer deal, it's kinda a moot point, .... But my Point before was that the DxD clutches with the Feramic disks are NOT your 'regular' clutch discs that you will eat up in 5k.....

to the OP, G/L with the the purchase!

Last edited by NoLimit; 05-28-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 AM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
How does it feel compared to stock clutch? My car is a daily driver and I do get stock in a stop and go traffic quite often...

Then this clutch is not really for you. It is a 6 puck, should really be just for drag racing. Daily driving sucks, but I don't daily drive. I will get somthing better but for now this clutch is doing great just takes a little practice and getting use to.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by baptist
My RPS was rated for my power level, but after 7k miles, its had its day. I dont drag my car, at all.

Dont scrimp on your clutch, it only means you'll have to change it again.

Ive got a carbonetics tripple waiting to be installed.

What is "your power level"?

During the recent service on my car, the clutch got "looked at" and my RPS clutch is very much "intact" and providing reliable performance including track/drag/launches....
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been my experience that triples are easier to drive on a daily basis than twins... Twins are a bit grabby, and the triples have a bit more slip to them...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy
It's been my experience that triples are easier to drive on a daily basis than twins... Twins are a bit grabby, and the triples have a bit more slip to them...
I have heard that as well. That said, my twin is more than streetable and slips very nice
Old 06-04-2007, 06:52 AM
in2therain3

southbend makes great clutch set-ups.

They are well known by holding up with big horsepower supras and they say it is very streetable.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

overall i like my ats twin..

though when getting out of first if you dont do it just right you will stall or sometimes the car shutters out the hole when trying to find the exact rpm to release.

you have to be quick!

overall the clutch grabs and goes really well. you can tell you got what you payed for.

i had a jwt setup when i first went TT and after only 5,000 miles it was burnt and done for.. trust me.. buy the clutch that will handle the abuse otherwise you will end up spending the same amount replacing it a few times.

if there is anything i learned about going forced induction is dont skimp on parts cause you will eventually be replacing upgrading to the ones you first wanted..

lol
Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
trefling

I have the Exedy twin carbon/carbon clutch I bought from SGP, it rattles like crazy when you push the clutch in. GTM has one specially made that does not make that crazy rattle noise, thanks SGP

If I had known how noisey my clutch would have been I would have never bought it!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Spddracer

I will put the DXD feramics up against any triple or double plate clutch.
The DXD kits I sell are far superior to any single disk clutch on the market.
They will hold close to 900hp, drive easy on the street and outlast your normal organic lined clutches 4-5 times over. Feramic will not deface, wont overheat and even with the full face very streetable version can still be drag raced and tracked without fear of hurting it.
This clutch has everything going for it and is under $600.00.
We also back up our claims with a 12,000 mile, 12 month warranty.
Find that on another clutch
Old 06-23-2007, 06:01 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

clutchmaster's has a new twin plate not many people are up on stage 6 and stage 7 fx 600 and 700
Old 06-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Spddracer
I will put the DXD feramics up against any triple or double plate clutch.
The DXD kits I sell are far superior to any single disk clutch on the market.
They will hold close to 900hp, drive easy on the street and outlast your normal organic lined clutches 4-5 times over. Feramic will not deface, wont overheat and even with the full face very streetable version can still be drag raced and tracked without fear of hurting it.
This clutch has everything going for it and is under $600.00.
We also back up our claims with a 12,000 mile, 12 month warranty.
Find that on another clutch
How stiff is the clutch pedal with these clutches? Do you have to be 250 lbs to use this thing?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Spddracer

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
How stiff is the clutch pedal with these clutches? Do you have to be 250 lbs to use this thing?
The pedal pressure is very moderate. I actually had my Flywheel in my 300ZXTT redrilled so I could use this 350Z kit, it is light years ahead in technology than what is availabe for the Z32TT. It is an amazing clutch kit.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM
RED HOT Z

I just got the GTM exedy twin plate carbon clutch and I love it. Its good for big hp and it feels really good.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my jwt clutch out of the box new, I took it to my friends house to show him. Its the same clutch disc used in the STI. Some useless info for people.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 AM
alpine

Question

Due to some expected upcoming trans work and/or replacement, I am back on the hunt for a clutch for mt APS TT.

Any news in this arena?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine
Due to some expected upcoming trans work and/or replacement, I am back on the hunt for a clutch for mt APS TT.

Any news in this arena?

Thanks,

Joe
I think the consensus is that the exedy and carbonetics/ATS multi disc carbon clutches are the way to go. I also saw a new multiface offering from RPS that a sponsor posted about
Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
when you are looking at 550+ you have to be willing to spend the money. Your clutch is one of the most critical parts of your setup and speaking from experience, DON'T UNDEBUY YOUR CLUTCH. You can pay a little more now, or a lot more later

I would only consider a multiface carbon clutch.
ATS twin disc with 1350kg PP
ATS triple disc
or
Exedy multiface carbon
^^^^ONLY clutches I would consider.

I run the ATS twin with the heavy duty pressure plate and LOVE it. I was hesitant what my 2 grand bought me vs a $500-700 single disc clutch. But after a drive, I knew it was money well spent. Clutch is very streetable. It does have chatter though. Chatters louder, but less often than my previous spec/JWT flywheel combo
Right on! You can slip the carbon clutches nicely at the dragstrip...
Old 09-28-2007, 07:35 AM
overZealous1

clutches i have run;

tilton twin rally= super hard to drive but held all the power you could toss at it. had to get rid of it because most dead stop starts meant i killed it or spun the tires or plain sounded like an idiot who didn't know how to drive!! in my opinion, it is still the best clutch money can buy once you make it past 10mph though.

clutchmasters stage 4 with upgraded pp= drove it around for a few months then hit the dyno. it only held 500rwhp, but ate turds on the torque only managing to hold 390!!! it started to slip the second the throttle was mashed at 3000rpm. the amount of slippage seen show and as soon as it happened, i was loosing a good 100rwhp due to slippage and the smell of hot brakes came right after the run.
on the flip side, i was mating it to an already used flywheel and the fact it may have never seated correctly is the suspect. so if ya go single, mate it to a new or resurfaced flywheel to say the least!

i have been seriously considering the south bend clutch, but i would hate to wrap up another $1000 for clutch and flywheel and have the same thing happen. i will be adding nitrous soon and tq and hp will sore past 700, so i think it would be $1000 down the drain.
i believe intense has the triple ats right now for $2200, and i think i am gunna bite the bullet and go that route.

the clutchmasters fx600 and 700 are good options too now though. they are each twin disk and supposedly hold 900tq for the fx700. they can be had for around $1500. prob is that you have to run a stock flexplate (auto) with it in order to get your firing order. if you have to buy a new one, it will set ya back about $500-600. then you are right back into the price range of other proven products.

i have spent countless hours of research and have had your question in mind ever since turboing my car 2+years ago. this is about the best options i have found.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM
RedLeader

Default Clutch choices

My RPS Cyn-R-G flywheel and RPS Streetmax clutch combo have 22K miles on them without any slippage, but I don't drag-race. Of course, I had to have the left pant-leg of all my suits altered...

I thought JWT's heavy-duty version could handle the power and still felt like a stock pedal? No?

Scott- How's that paint job coming? When's the unveiling?

Last edited by RedLeader; 09-28-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by RedLeader
My RPS Cyn-R-G flywheel and RPS Streetmax clutch combo have 22K miles on them without any slippage, but I don't drag-race. Of course, I had to have the left pant-leg of all my suits altered...

I thought JWT's heavy-duty version could handle the power and still felt like a stock pedal? No?

Scott- How's that paint job coming? When's the unveiling?
paint is coming out VERY good. wheels are done now and the new tires going on today. 305/25/20! might be done in a couple weeks, but been saying 2 weeks for the last 2 months, lol.

Last edited by overZealous1; 09-28-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Which clutch to get for my TT setup?