Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which clutch to get for my TT setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:12 PM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the input, I had been looking into the ClutchMasters options as well but have seen similar points raised about completing the setup and being in the same ballpark for "proven products".

I'm stick, so I don't have the issue you rasied, otherwise would you say that is a good way to go?

I don't see myself going anywhere near the limits you mentioned.

I have had a great time with my RPS setup, road course, drag, and all the street playing I have done haven't had a single problem. My only problem, and they took pretty good care of me on this is that I would get a "bad start" almost as if you started the car after the car was already running due to some kind of mismatch with the teet from the starter to the flywheel.

The problem after a couple swaps (at their expense) was greatly reduced but started raising it's ugly head again and in my calls to RPS they haven't had the courtesy to call me back, even when I said "hey, everything is cool I'd like to see about an upgrade" so I figure I'll take my business elsewhere.

I don't know how long I am going to keep this car/setup, so I don't know if I want to throw 2.5K+ into the immediate effort.

I have/had plans to do the motor when it goes out, and end up with 500/500RWHP/TQ so I wanted a clutch that could hold through those numbers.

Anyways thanks as always, and keep it coming, it is greatly appreciated!

Joe
Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
alpine

Looks like I am being suggested to move to the CUSCO Twin Carbon Plate Clutch...

What is the trq/hp/life of this clutch?

Driveability is supposed to be awesome.

As I mentioned before I wasn't sure I wanted to cross the 2K barrier as I am not sure of how long I will keep this car/put money into it although if the clutch is supposed to last "forever" or something along those lines, it seems to make nothing but sense.....

I'd like some pointers on these "carbon" based clutches..

Thanks again!

JOe
Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to try the South Bend FE stage 5 with my TN build. Heard some good stuff, and at $550, and rated at 600+ tq, its worth a chance.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Devil Z

Rated at 725 ft-lb torque, also a 12,000 mile warranty. Feramic sounds nice. I'm gonna get it because I'm only gonna be at like 500whp/500wtq or even upper 400's at low boost when I get a built motor.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 PM
alpine

12K Warranty?

Is that supposed to be for those who intend to go out and "ruin" the clutch in whatever process? As opposed to "no warranty"?

What is the life/driveabiliy of this clutch?

As I've mentioned elsehwere, I think my track time is going to be less from this point forward, even when I build the motor up to 500/550 range but I want to know the clutch will perform when I need it to.

I've got nearly 30K on the RPS, and I guarantee you the first 20K of that were brutal with a dozen track days (full 200+ miles a day) and a couple days of dragging on top of the daily 0-100 on-ramp episodes, street play and too many sustained visits to the 150+ range....

Looking forward to the input!

Joe

Looking do
Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Devil Z

Well the DXD is made from Feramic which is superior to Ceramic.

The RPS is a 6-puck, no?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
alpine

The RPS combo I am using is not a "puck" type clutch, I will need to see if I can get that info over here.

What is the purpose to using a "puck" type?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Devil Z

Organic disc? Cerametallic? What's it made out of?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Just to give you another option, here is the newest RPS twin carbon/carbon going in our tt race 350

I've used RPS clutches for 10years and have always had great success with them.

I'll keep you posted on how this thing holds up.

Chris
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Rated at 725 ft-lb torque, also a 12,000 mile warranty. Feramic sounds nice. I'm gonna get it because I'm only gonna be at like 500whp/500wtq or even upper 400's at low boost when I get a built motor.
The 725tq rating is for the DXD clutch which is a puck style. I was talking about the FE, which is a solid disc... But still rated at 690tq.

Regardless, I've heard nothing but good stuff about their clutches. Someone on here did a review of the dxd stage 5, and said it was as easy to street drive as the stock clutch! The feramic material is supposed to wear very well also.

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/350z.html
Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Devil Z

I will be getting their most aggressive one the Stage 6 FE 6-Puck.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Spddracer

If you guys want to try the DXD line let me know.

I want to get these out in the 350/G crowd and get these out in use to show everyone how great they really are. They are already proven in MANY other cars, Supras, 300ZXTT, Audi, 3000GTs ect.
You cannot beat the customer service of Southbend clutch either, I Guarantee that!
I will cut you guys deals you wont pass up!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Chris@SP
Just to give you another option, here is the newest RPS twin carbon/carbon going in our tt race 350

I've used RPS clutches for 10years and have always had great success with them.

I'll keep you posted on how this thing holds up.

Chris
While my car was being built at Forged Performance I shipped a brand new RPS clutch and flywheel that was rated at 600+ hp to Sharif. I paid $1200 for the system. It was not the full carbon system...Sharif did not even get to 500rwhp and my clutch was fried. I had to go with the full triple carbon system.....so in the end I spent $3500 for 2 clutch systems. That was a lesson learned the hard way. I should have checked with Sharif before trying to get a cheaper system
Old 09-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Spddracer

Ash Powers of Ashspec performance has my clutch (DXD-F) Feramic 6 puck in his car (300zx Twin turbo) with less clamp load than what the 350Z kits I sell come with.
It has over 15,000 miles on it, Has run on the dyno at 700hp/700tq, Track events ect and is still going strong, This clutch is not anything like the RPS ceramic kits. It has a much higher torque friction rating, Is easier on the mating surfaces (flywheel) Runs cooler, Drives better and last longer.

We do not over rate our torque ratings. This clutch WILL do the power it states.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by Zivman
I would only consider a multiface carbon clutch.
ATS twin disc with 1350kg PP
ATS triple disc
or
Exedy multiface carbon
^^^^ONLY clutches I would consider.
The Stage 5 Spec Clutch holds Like a MUTHFUKA. Its my daily driver. Its noise and brutal with a binary engagement, it it locks down quick and hard, 6 puck carbon steel. So there is a decent breaking time and its NOISY. I love it, even though between the diff and the clutch my car rumbles and squeeks like you wouldnt believe.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by alpine
Thanks guys for the input, I had been looking into the ClutchMasters options as well but have seen similar points raised about completing the setup and being in the same ballpark for "proven products".

I'm stick, so I don't have the issue you rasied, otherwise would you say that is a good way to go?

I don't see myself going anywhere near the limits you mentioned.

I have had a great time with my RPS setup, road course, drag, and all the street playing I have done haven't had a single problem. My only problem, and they took pretty good care of me on this is that I would get a "bad start" almost as if you started the car after the car was already running due to some kind of mismatch with the teet from the starter to the flywheel.

The problem after a couple swaps (at their expense) was greatly reduced but started raising it's ugly head again and in my calls to RPS they haven't had the courtesy to call me back, even when I said "hey, everything is cool I'd like to see about an upgrade" so I figure I'll take my business elsewhere.

I don't know how long I am going to keep this car/setup, so I don't know if I want to throw 2.5K+ into the immediate effort.

I have/had plans to do the motor when it goes out, and end up with 500/500RWHP/TQ so I wanted a clutch that could hold through those numbers.

Anyways thanks as always, and keep it coming, it is greatly appreciated!

Joe
what i meant was, that to run the clutchmasters twin set up you have to get an oem flexplate to get the firing order, then the clutchmasters flywheel bolts to that. if you can find a cheap flexplate, it is a pretty darn good option. flexplates only see wear from the starter, and being stock, the alignment would be right on. trick is finding a good used one to keep cost down, lol.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
overZealous1

hmmm, just found a gm trans adapter for $250. i could build up a 700r4 to hold the power for around $600 (me doing the work) starting to look like a good option!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Since I started this thread, I went with the Carbonetics twin carbon clutch with 1350kg PP. I was looking for a cheaper alternative, but it is clear to me now that single clutches that can hold 500+whp/trq are not daily drivable in a stop and go traffic...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Spddracer

So you have tried them all?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by Spddracer
So you have tried them all?
No.. the only one I have tried is the nismo+JWT combo clutch.. But this is not rated over 500+whp/trq, so it's very drivable.. If you read the comments in this thread, you'll get the idea...

Quick Reply: Which clutch to get for my TT setup?