Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which clutch to get for my TT setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:00 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which clutch to get for my TT setup?

My built short block from the GTM and the APS TT kit have arrived a month ago... Now, it's time to buy a streetable clutch that can handle 550~600whp.
My definition of "streetable clutch" is that it allows slipping and doesn't have too much chatter. Also, it should handle occasional drifting and drag events that I participate.

I currently have a nismo pressure plate+nismo disc+JWT flywheel combo, but it's NOT going to handle 550~600WHP for sure, so I've narrowed down the list to the following clutches.. I don't want to spend $2000+ on the carbon twin clutches, so I didn't include them in the list. Please chime in!!

Clutchmasters stage 4 with 6puck: It's only ~$500. There are many mixed opinions on whether it's streetable... Seems like it can handle 550~600WHP. It doesn't chatter that much. I can reuse my JWT flywheel with this.

Nismo coppermix twin clutch: ~$1400. nismo website states that it can hold 524WHP on Z33, so this might not workout... but I like its design. It uses a center hub, so it's very streetable according to the nismo website. GTM Exedy carbon clutch uses the similar center hub design.

ORC 559: ~$1400. How much HP and TQ can this clutch hold? I heard ORC 709 can hold upto 1000HP, but I never heard what this 559 can do.. Is 559 more streetable than the 709?? I drove my buddy's Z with ORC 709, and it chattered very loud and it was very grabby..

Thanks in advance

Jay

Last edited by leeboyNY; 05-28-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Bullitproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My installer talked to Sam at GT. they agreed to do the exedy carbon/carbon. i was sold on the ats setup, but read that thread awhile back about people having issues with it. these clutches are a tough sell at over 2 grand, but if during normal street driving, and occassional leadfooted-ness, it holds, i'll be happy.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:45 AM
alpine

Have you looked at RPS?

I had some issues with them originally, but they did me right and took care of it so they earned my trust back.

I hadn't been direct in contact with them lately, and I had heard some varying reports of what their clutches were going to hold.

If you are intereted in Carbon Carbon, and you are in that price range, then you can't go wrong with that...

They do have clutches, for the HP/TRQ range you are considering, without going CC.

I have some issues brewing with my car, which may lead to me getting an engine build and/or at least clutch/trans service, which will most likely lead to me wanting to go ahead and change my clutch out.

With RPS they have a rebuildable process for their flywheel, and I could replace the clutch then and/or replace it.

I'm presently leaning towards RPS, however if someone "knows" something as to why I shouldn't, and what/why I should go with someone else, that'd be good info and I would appreciate it as well.

All I can say is I have nearly 3 years and 30K of hard miles in addition to Track, Drag (including over a dozen, back to back, minimal time between runs), and 'playing' and my clutch has held up better than most.

I've got 415+ to the rear wheel, on 19's.... My clutch should be good around 500 or and possibly more, but I would need to upgrade the clutch to get closer to 600HP...

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
My installer talked to Sam at GT. they agreed to do the exedy carbon/carbon. i was sold on the ats setup, but read that thread awhile back about people having issues with it. these clutches are a tough sell at over 2 grand, but if during normal street driving, and occassional leadfooted-ness, it holds, i'll be happy.
when you are looking at 550+ you have to be willing to spend the money. Your clutch is one of the most critical parts of your setup and speaking from experience, DON'T UNDEBUY YOUR CLUTCH. You can pay a little more now, or a lot more later

I would only consider a multiface carbon clutch.
ATS twin disc with 1350kg PP
ATS triple disc
or
Exedy multiface carbon
^^^^ONLY clutches I would consider.

I run the ATS twin with the heavy duty pressure plate and LOVE it. I was hesitant what my 2 grand bought me vs a $500-700 single disc clutch. But after a drive, I knew it was money well spent. Clutch is very streetable. It does have chatter though. Chatters louder, but less often than my previous spec/JWT flywheel combo
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

I would like to add another clutch to my consideration.

OS Giken STR twin clutch.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I would like to add another clutch to my consideration.

OS Giken STR twin clutch.
weren't those just recently released for the Z?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
priscilla ls1

What about an ACT clutch thats what I have. They are cheap and can hold over 600tq easy.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
What about an ACT clutch thats what I have. They are cheap and can hold over 600tq easy.
I doubt it. Once you get over 500, the game changes. For a single faced clutch to hold this kind of power, the PP is very heavy duty making the clutch not very streetable. That is why I feel the multiface carbons are the only way to go
Old 05-28-2007, 04:44 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
How does it feel compared to stock clutch? My car is a daily driver and I do get stock in a stop and go traffic quite often...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Zivman

How does it feel compared to stock clutch? My car is a daily driver and I do get stock in a stop and go traffic quite often...
You dont' want to consider the ATS or Exedy multiface clutches? They are going to be your best options.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Zivman
I would only consider a multiface carbon clutch.
ATS twin disc with 1350kg PP
ATS triple disc
or
Exedy multiface carbon
^^^^ONLY clutches I would consider.
+1

The ability for a clutch to hold a given trq level is only one consideration. A lot of clutches can "hold" 550 ft/lbs, but few will stand up to serious abuse over a long period of time, and also offer a reasonable pedal feel, and daily-driving capability.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:26 PM
NoLimit

^^and a material that will hold up to repetative absue (high pwr), is Feramic.

I recommend the South Bend DxD (DynaMax Extreme Duty). I just had the Stage 4/5 (not sure which it would be labeled as) installed, and it is Very streetable, and is 'rated' at 690 Ft Lbs!!
Here's my pics and post:
http://www.turboculture.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349

I went with the Exedy flywheel b/c it's chromoly, and I wanted the JUN for the same reason, but GTM had this in stock when I needed it. Sam had told me also that the 'noise level' with this flywheel is next to none, which is what I expected from the weight and material.

I Really like the setup so far, it feels like it'll hold more power than any JWT clutch i've driven, maybe even the Triple carbon i have too?? I'm running it with my car basically stock right now, as I just had my transmission replaced, ... hopefully sooner than later I'll get some boost under the hood to test it's limits.

So for the $550-ish range, for a Stage 4 or 5, which should hold More than most need, I'd Highly recommend the DxD! And of course you can run your stock flywheel if it's not tore up right now, ... or opt for the JUN or Exedy, i was going to order the JUN for 475, and then the Exedy is about 655, and a bit heavier...

I'll be posting further impressions on my site as I break in the clutch as well.

Last edited by NoLimit; 05-28-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Bullitproof

^^^Not disputing your claims, but sometmes there is a reason why some clutches cost 500 bucks and some 2 grand.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 PM
NoLimit

and there's No reason why clutches need to cost over 2K when one that's 600 can do the job.....
It sure is nice to have triple carbons, double carbons, etc ..... but they haven't been around forever, and people have been Holding High HP for quite a while without them......

Combine 'newer' materials with the same type pressure plates that were used in the past, and you get something that's going to work out great for us "normal joe's"................
Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 PM
baptist

My RPS was rated for my power level, but after 7k miles, its had its day. I dont drag my car, at all.

Dont scrimp on your clutch, it only means you'll have to change it again.

Ive got a carbonetics tripple waiting to be installed.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by NoLimit
and there's No reason why clutches need to cost over 2K when one that's 600 can do the job.....
It sure is nice to have triple carbons, double carbons, etc ..... but they haven't been around forever, and people have been Holding High HP for quite a while without them......

Combine 'newer' materials with the same type pressure plates that were used in the past, and you get something that's going to work out great for us "normal joe's"................
I have driven $500-600 clutches on multiple cars. I spent the big money on an ATS multiface carbon. Unless you driven both, please don't comment. While I didn't mind the single faced setups for considerably less money, they are cheaper for a reason. the multiface carbons are vastly superior and worth the extra money.

I was so hell bent against buying this clutch. No way could I justify paying this kind of money for a clutch when I knew a one for $600 bucks could do the job. Once i drove the car with the new clutch, I had absolutely no buyer's remorse and felt it was the best money I had spent on my car.

You can argue till you are blue in the face, but like bullitproof said, there is a reason some clutches cost 500 and others cost 2K.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by baptist
My RPS was rated for my power level, but after 7k miles, its had its day. I dont drag my car, at all.

Dont scrimp on your clutch, it only means you'll have to change it again.

Ive got a carbonetics tripple waiting to be installed.
seriously? Only 7K? I remember chatting about your clutch, was actually rooting for it to hold. spend a little more now, or a lot more later. Paying for the 2k+ upfront for the good clutch seems like a lot, but then factor in if you buy the $600 clutch first. Now you have the $600 clutch, plus the 2X the labor on top of that $2K clutch.

Baptist, you made a good choice with the ATS/carbonetics!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

I've been reading up on the possible problems with the ATS twin clutch, but seems like the problems were caused by other factors. So, the ATS twin carbon clutch allows some slipping and it doesn't have too much chatters, huh?

I just found out I can get an ATS twin carbon clutch for $1200... (I live very close to Japan...) I guess I'll go with the ATS twin carbon clutch with 1350 pp.

Thanks for the input guys~
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Zivman

I've been reading up on the possible problems with the ATS twin clutch, but seems like the problems were caused by other factors. So, the ATS twin carbon clutch allows some slipping and it doesn't have too much chatters, huh?

I just found out I can get an ATS twin carbon clutch for $1200... (I live very close to Japan...) I guess I'll go with the ATS twin carbon clutch with 1350 pp.

Thanks for the input guys~
For 1200, that clutch is a steal and a no-brainer. You will love it. the pedal will feel a little heavy with the 1350kg pressure plate, but the clutch is like silk. it will be fine for traffic
Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
baptist

Yeah, should work good, heard nothing but good reports.

I was on a track and did 3 standing starts, these are the only off the line launches the car has seen. After the 3rd, it was slipping like mad. Have taken it easy on the clutch ever since, but at full boost it will slip now.
Id noticed that the biting point had got higher and higher, and it was getting a real pig to shift smoothly, this was before i had used it on the track.

Quick Reply: Which clutch to get for my TT setup?