Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbonetics kit in, need input.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
freezeg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbonetics kit in, need input.

Kit is on and car pulls good, af is 11-11.5, boost is 8 psi, but when im idling, its seems to intermittently run rough, you can hear it in the exhaust as well, its almost like its stumbling a bit then a minute later its fine and smooth again.

Is this the adaptive memory on the ecu?
Will this go away?
I have no ses codes, all clear.
Thanks.
Freeze.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

thats normal.. most TN owners raise their idle to compensate... my Greddy TT use to do it also
Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My car would run rough and slowly lean out at idle with the TN flash. A blip of the throttle takes care of it. Its "normal"
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
freezeg35

Ok, just got in now after a second rip around the blocks, lol, anyways ive noticed that when im decelerating with my foot off the gas and slowing down under engine load the car does the same thing, it is like a bad vibration, and i see that EVERY time my air fuel goes off the scale lean, over 17. This is not intermittent, its all the time with the foot off the gas and engine decelerating.

After seeing this, i watched at idle, and the intermittent roughness i was referring to was accompanyed by over 17 af as well. Any input please.

Post edited sorry i was backwards on the lean rich. Thanks wegster.LOL.

Last edited by freezeg35; 06-05-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Weqster

over 14A/F is lean. Seems like your car is leaning out. Or on the other hand your car is misfiring and the fuel isnt being being - hence showing a false lean condition.

Last edited by Weqster; 06-05-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
freezeg35

Something else i forgot to mention was im under 1/4 tank of fuel and when they did the install they drilled the 3 3/8 holes in the fuel pick up or what every you call it. Could this be the problem?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Under 1/4 tank the car will not pick up fuel under WOT and will feel like its hitting a rev limiter. I wish I would have never done that.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Although the fuel level issue is a possibility I wouldn't be surprised if the car does tend to the lean side if you are wide open throttle and just take your foot of the throttle as the ECU is trying to snap compensate the fuel it was spraying at WOT. Have you dyno'd the car and verified the AFR across the power band?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 PM
freezeg35

Ok, well this is doing it without ANY fuel, so thats not it then.
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
freezeg35

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Although the fuel level issue is a possibility I wouldn't be surprised if the car does tend to the lean side if you are wide open throttle and just take your foot of the throttle as the ECU is trying to snap compensate the fuel it was spraying at WOT. Have you dyno'd the car and verified the AFR across the power band?

It happening all the time, wot and engine decel, as well as driving around out of boost and letting off the gas.

As far as af across the powerband it is 14 ish putting around, 12 ish when i start to get into boost, and 11 ish full boost.

Last edited by freezeg35; 06-05-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by freezeg35
Ok, well this is doing it without ANY fuel, so thats not it then.
Thanks.
Huh? The ECU reflash does have a tendency to stumble a bit at idle. Its never caused on issue in my car in 60,000 miles. Its just the flash attempting to compensate for the 380cc injectors and leaning out to keep the engine stoich but sometimes pulls the timing so far. At any rate I'd suggest you fill up with some good quality gas and throw the car on the dyno to validate the AFR across the power band.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
MIAPLAYA

It happening all the time, wot and engine decel, as well as driving around out of boost and letting off the gas.
If the car is leaning out under boost you've got a problem. First I would stop going WOT and full boost with next to no fuel. Start by filling up with some good quality gas. Then throw the car on the dyno and verify the AFR across the power band and load points.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
freezeg35

If the car is leaning out under boost you've got a problem. First I would stop going WOT and full boost with next to no fuel. Start by filling up with some good quality gas. Then throw the car on the dyno and verify the AFR across the power band and load points.
Sorry maybe i didnt explain it right.

In boost im at 11 af ALL the time.

Its just when i come out of wot and let the engine decel, OR when im putting around at 14 ish not in boost that it goes lean.

Trust me I wouldnt run this car in boost if it was over 12.

Thanks mia.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
freezeg35

Huh? The ECU reflash does have a tendency to stumble a bit at idle. Its never caused on issue in my car in 60,000 miles. Its just the flash attempting to compensate for the 380cc injectors and leaning out to keep the engine stoich but sometimes pulls the timing so far. At any rate I'd suggest you fill up with some good quality gas and throw the car on the dyno to validate the AFR across the power band.
Sorry, what i ment by no fuel is not pressing the accelerator. LOL.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well lets be clear on a couple things. You are not ALWAYS going to be at rich AFRs. If you are driving around in vacuum your AFR is going to fluctuate. Granted it shouldn't be stuck at 17:1 but I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFR bounce around as the load requirements even off boost change. Second, when you are in decel are you downshifting and allowing the engine to rev down or do you mean you are at WOT and then just take your foot off the throttle and put the car in neutral? If there is load on the car you should continue to see the AFR adjust all over the place for the amount of load in that particular cell of the load map. If you are just putting the car in neutral of couse its going to do that as its essentially like going from WOT to idle in a second. The ECU is going to have a tough time compensating timing for the fuel flow that was just there. At any rate my recommendation stands. Fill the car up with some good fuel, give it a day or two of driving around and then throw the car on the dyno and log the AFR across the load range.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

what Octane gas are you running anyway?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
freezeg35

Well lets be clear on a couple things. You are not ALWAYS going to be at rich AFRs. If you are driving around in vacuum your AFR is going to fluctuate. Granted it shouldn't be stuck at 17:1 but I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFR bounce around as the load requirements even off boost change. Second, when you are in decel are you downshifting and allowing the engine to rev down or do you mean you are at WOT and then just take your foot off the throttle and put the car in neutral? If there is load on the car you should continue to see the AFR adjust all over the place for the amount of load in that particular cell of the load map. If you are just putting the car in neutral of couse its going to do that as its essentially like going from WOT to idle in a second. The ECU is going to have a tough time compensating timing for the fuel flow that was just there. At any rate my recommendation stands. Fill the car up with some good fuel, give it a day or two of driving around and then throw the car on the dyno and log the AFR across the load range.
Yes, when driving around it fluctuates from say 14ish to 16ish approx.
When im in decel, i downshift say into 2nd gear and allow the engine to rev down for me,.....this is when it goes over 17 on my wideband all the time. I dont run the car up wot and then throw it into neutral, no.

I will go fill it up in tonight and drive it tomorrow.

Is this leaning out when not in boost and engine decellerating harmful to my motor in any way?

I never had this problem with the vortech, but that was never a reflash, the ss box was piggyback.

Thanks all for the input, really really appreciate it.

Freeze.

Doug, im running 94 octane, allways have.
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yes, when driving around it fluctuates from say 14ish to 16ish approx.
When im in decel, i downshift say into 2nd gear and allow the engine to rev down for me,.....this is when it goes over 17 on my wideband all the time. I dont run the car up wot and then throw it into neutral, no.

I will go fill it up in tonight and drive it tomorrow.

Is this leaning out when not in boost and engine decellerating harmful to my motor in any way?

I never had this problem with the vortech, but that was never a reflash, the ss box was piggyback.

Thanks all for the input, really really appreciate it.

Freeze.

Doug, im running 94 octane, allways have.
Thanks.
Interesting. Well fill up with some good gas and give it a day or so and lets see what happens. I don't personally think theres any issue. Once the throttle plate is closed and the engine is in vacuum on decel I doubt the AFR will affect much of anything but I'm sure someone will disagree.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM
freezeg35

Interesting. Well fill up with some good gas and give it a day or so and lets see what happens. I don't personally think theres any issue. Once the throttle plate is closed and the engine is in vacuum on decel I doubt the AFR will affect much of anything but I'm sure someone will disagree.

Will do.

Do you think the ecu needs to adapt?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
MIAPLAYA

Will do.

Do you think the ecu needs to adapt?
Its possible the fuel trims need to adjust to the decreased knock resistance and the fact its basically a new flash on a first drive.

Quick Reply: turbonetics kit in, need input.