Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Open dumps VS Recirculate

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 AM
supra crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
It gets old, I am looking to recirculate them back in
X2 same here.

I looked up some 38mm piping from vibrant and they have universal kits with a bunch of bends I'm gonna take mine to an exhaust shop soone and have it recirculated.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
I heard somewhere that Tial is working on some Wastegate mufflers so you get the performance of open dump without the noise.
AKA motorcycle mufflers.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
taurran

Just curious why it gets old? I am in boost a lot but not THAT much.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supra crazy
X2 same here.

I looked up some 38mm piping from vibrant and they have universal kits with a bunch of bends I'm gonna take mine to an exhaust shop soone and have it recirculated.

a couple 45 degree 1 5/8" bends work perfect to bring it back in to the test pipe area. grab 3 tial flanges and you could weld in an angled piece to the exhaust, then put a flange on it, and flange the 45 degree piece. that way you could unbolt it and go open or recirculated.
wished i could make a already welded kit, but no way to do it with all the different exhaust combos out there.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by overZealous1
a couple 45 degree 1 5/8" bends work perfect to bring it back in to the test pipe area. grab 3 tial flanges and you could weld in an angled piece to the exhaust, then put a flange on it, and flange the 45 degree piece. that way you could unbolt it and go open or recirculated.
wished i could make a already welded kit, but no way to do it with all the different exhaust combos out there.
I will try that. I am using your kit and it is worth it just for the relocation aspect, I had a wastegate stuck open one time and it was so easy to get it off to check it.

The sound gets old for me maybe because I already have a 3" dual exhaust which is pretty loud all of the time so when the dumps kick in it just multiplies it by so much, also you will get the exhaust dumping out right below you so with windows open you might get some fumes.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:13 PM
supra crazy

Originally Posted by taurran
Just curious why it gets old? I am in boost a lot but not THAT much.
Well if you dont have a EBC and just run off spring pressure as soon as you get to 1 psi they partcially open and you get a little rumble which is annoying. When passing people on the highway or over taking people it is just to loud. Its cool when you want to beat on the car, but just every day quick acceleration, it will get old.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
thawk408

Hell I love the dumps! The louder the better!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
taurran

Well if you dont have a EBC and just run off spring pressure as soon as you get to 1 psi they partcially open and you get a little rumble which is annoying. When passing people on the highway or over taking people it is just to loud. Its cool when you want to beat on the car, but just every day quick acceleration, it will get old.
My car's not a daily driver. Hopefully I won't get tired of it.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
tig488

mine got old with the 8psi spring, so i changed it out to 18psi instead, still loud but not near as often as before.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 PM
diwun67

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
I heard somewhere that Tial is working on some Wastegate mufflers so you get the performance of open dump without the noise.
That would be awesome, I was thinking about that today...
Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
cersoft

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
AKA motorcycle mufflers.
This is an awesome idea, I'm gonna head to the bike store on friday to see what they got ...

Colin
Old 06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by cersoft
This is an awesome idea, I'm gonna head to the bike store on friday to see what they got ...

Colin
Its been done before which is why I know what Tial is thinking. A small motorcycle muffler would quiet it down some for sure.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 PM
TENGAI

Open dumps are cool, but since I DD my car, they became a bit tiresome with my last setup. Looking to recirc this time around.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 PM
dank311

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Open dumps are not for the weak of heart...maybe the weak of hearing. They make an improvement in spool and are less restictive, potentially freeing up a few ponies. They get louder as you add more boost. At 6 PSI they are pretty mundane but 9 psi and above they can get pretty loud. Its all relative though, but if you like the volume of your HKS I would say you are NOT going to like the volume of the Open Dumps (2x louder at 6 psi 2.5x+ at higher psi).
Im actually getting rid of the HKS b/c its too quiet. I do alot of drifting events with my car, and I can hardly hear myself with my helmet on/windows down. I know alot of 240's and FC's have open dumps at the track, but Im not sure what their boost levels are and how big of a wastegate they have.
Im planning to go with the Greddy EVO TT and 3" dp, hopefully to make it a bit louder, but I also dont want it to be too obnoxious with the open dumps. Plus, like a few people have said, I like the sound of our engine/exhaust tone.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Nealoc187

I cannot stand the sound of open dumps. when I redid my turbo piping of of my main reasons was to get rid of that damn open dump. hate it.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can accelerate very quickly on spring pressure up to about 9psi without them opening. I run Tial 1 bar WB springs. IMO everyday acceleration isnt crazy loud, my APS TD sounds great, when I want to unleash hell its only a small throttle input away
Old 06-14-2007, 05:00 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the TXS BCS, you can set, via the UTEC the boost vlaue of which to keep the wastegate closed until.

I am thinking about going with open dumps, and the utec will allow me to keep the wastegates closed until XX psi.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:02 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by QuadCam
on the TXS BCS, you can set, via the UTEC the boost vlaue of which to keep the wastegate closed until.

I am thinking about going with open dumps, and the utec will allow me to keep the wastegates closed until XX psi.
That's on any EBC. It's called gain.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 AM
westpak
SFZCC

It is called "Start Boost" at least on the Greddy e01 gain is another setting it adjusts the duty cycle controlling how quick it responds
Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, the UTEC has a "gain" control separately from the "wastegate closed until" control............SO, I guess it is not the same.

Quick Reply: Open dumps VS Recirculate