Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

best place to put an EGT probe on a Greddy TT car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default best place to put an EGT probe on a Greddy TT car?

I am going to put an EGT meter (or 2) in my car, but I'm not sure where the best place to put the probe would be.

I assume that the closest I could get it to the exhaust ports, the better it would be, but I don't know if drilling and tapping the cast manifolds is a good idea. I could see that drilling and tapping the manifold for a 1/8" npt fitting could cause a crack to propogate from the hole.

so, my next thoughts are to put the probe either in the downpipe or into the wastegate relocation pipes.

I want to get the probe in the hottest spot. any suggestions??
Old 07-08-2007, 05:14 PM
dieselmcore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too sure man, put post pics when ur done

good luck
Old 07-08-2007, 05:17 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To have any real use for it Ive always read and heard , it needs to be with in 1 inch of the exhaust port . Other wise its useless
Old 07-08-2007, 05:34 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by booger
To have any real use for it Ive always read and heard , it needs to be with in 1 inch of the exhaust port . Other wise its useless

I think you are correct in terms of knowing how hot the pistons are getting......

but wouldn't you still be able to see if the EGTs are elevating even if the probe is further downstream? I guess you'd need to learn what the average temp for your probe location is, and then pay attention to see if it elevates at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
350Z84

If you were gonna do two you could put one where booger recommended and one further down stream.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
failsafe306

Since the manifolds are already installed, I'd just put them on the downpipes as close to the turbine as you can get. It's not as good as putting them in the manifold but at least you can monitor significant changes in temp.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by 350Z84
If you were gonna do two you could put one where booger recommended and one further down stream.
2 would be so I could put one on each side of the engine.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:27 PM
minus500
Banned

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Since the manifolds are already installed, I'd just put them on the downpipes as close to the turbine as you can get. It's not as good as putting them in the manifold but at least you can monitor significant changes in temp.
Yeah I agree. Ideally i've heard that they need to be no more than 6-8 inches away from the head but, since you've got the mani's on you won't want to tap them and have the metal chips go through the blades.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:29 PM
350Z84

Originally Posted by minus500
Yeah I agree. Ideally i've heard that they need to be no more than 6-8 inches away from the head but, since you've got the mani's on you won't want to tap them and have the metal chips go through the blades.
I agree. Just tap them into the downpipes then.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM
booger

actually only having one or two probes can only act`as a reference to go by . Using then for tuning , you need one on every cyl. 1 inch from the port . But Im sure every one knows this
Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
350Z84

I did not know this Booger. I've only seen 1 maybe 2 on most cars.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
USED

Putting them in the downpipes would be a waste of time and money. By the time the heat gets there (through the manifold then the turbo) it's too late. You can get access to the RHS leading runner from the top if you move a few things out of the way (p/s resevoir, earth wire etc). Use a 12" 21/64 drill bit (you can buy this online) with the engine running. Drill very slow when you get close to the break through point. For your tap, use a high shear strength grease and dip your tap into it. Use a small metric 12pt socket and extension to run the tap in. I think I used a 9mm...can't remember. Just make sure the tap fits snug into the socket. Also run the engine while you tap your threads. The fragments that don't stick to the grease will fly out this hole. The exhaust will push the fragments to the path of least resistance (in this case the hole you just made). It takes time, but this is the only way you can do it on the engine. There is no access to the LHS manifold and to have the engine running at the same time. Trust me...and you'll save money on one gauge.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
QuadCam

USED,

what kinds of egts do you see?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
booger

I see 625 C. at a 40 mph cruise and 810 C. at the top end with 20psi . with my SC
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

We usually mount them about 1 inch or so from the exhaust port, directly into the manifold. I like to use the rear cylinders, as the engine gets hotter as you head towards the rear.

I used to have mine mounted on the downpipe, and temps barely moved. Mounted on the manifold, they move a lot, and definately provide a much more accurate reading. I usually see about 1350 F at cruise, and 1600F at WOT at the top.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:37 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
We usually mount them about 1 inch or so from the exhaust port, directly into the manifold. I like to use the rear cylinders, as the engine gets hotter as you head towards the rear.

I used to have mine mounted on the downpipe, and temps barely moved. Mounted on the manifold, they move a lot, and definately provide a much more accurate reading. I usually see about 1350 F at cruise, and 1600F at WOT at the top.
Would there be any chance of posting a picture of where you mount the EGT.Maybe if you had a motor out in your shop, you could just snap a quick picture.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
QuadCam

sharif,

did you drill and tap the manifold, or did you weld a bung onto the manifold?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
TENGAI

+1 Had mine mounted on the downpipe and it was pretty much useless... Would recommend USED's approach if you can't pull the manifold. It would be a complete b1tch if you wanted to pull the manifold off and go that route, but for a perfect install, that's the way to go.

If it's too much of a pain in the @ss, then screw it. EGT gauges are nice to have and monitor, but aren't "required" IMO. Things like A/F and boost levels take top priority. Afterwards, EGT, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, etc.

As always, just my Talk to your tuner and see how comfortable they are with tuning with/without a manifold EGT on the car.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by QuadCam
sharif,

did you drill and tap the manifold, or did you weld a bung onto the manifold?
Drill and tap...we havent had one crack yet...even after some serious track abuse.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:41 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Isn't cylinder head temperature just as useful and less "invasive"?

Quick Reply: best place to put an EGT probe on a Greddy TT car?