Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

~"V-Mount" Radiator Support frames for Turbo Applications~

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Three5oZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow ~"V-Mount" Radiator Support frames for Turbo Applications~

Ok, Im looking for a better cooling method for my radiator and my intercooler. Does anyone know of someone who has built or is in the process of building a V-Mount set up for the intercooler and radiator.

Not just for practicality, but I like the set up and it appears to have more air travel throughout the engine bay which is critical for us TN guys who experience high volumes of heat temp. under the hood.

I currently have a koyo radiator, no AC condenser or AC for that matter. Im planning to swap out my fans for something a little more high powered and a little more efficient than the stock fans who are only able to cool up to so much.

My last reason for the work... I cracked the radiator suppor on the bottom right corner that holds the radiator and the little rubber stop that fits under that corner. So im pretty much over that carbon composit crap that they had there.... im ready for something a little more solid and custom.

(professional comments encouraged)
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
Ok, Im looking for a better cooling method for my radiator and my intercooler. Does anyone know of someone who has built or is in the process of building a V-Mount set up for the intercooler and radiator.

Not just for practicality, but I like the set up and it appears to have more air travel throughout the engine bay which is critical for us TN guys who experience high volumes of heat temp. under the hood.

I currently have a koyo radiator, no AC condenser or AC for that matter. Im planning to swap out my fans for something a little more high powered and a little more efficient than the stock fans who are only able to cool up to so much.

My last reason for the work... I cracked the radiator suppor on the bottom right corner that holds the radiator and the little rubber stop that fits under that corner. So im pretty much over that carbon composit crap that they had there.... im ready for something a little more solid and custom.

(professional comments encouraged)
Jun did a V mount but with Rad and Oil Coolers. This should give you an idea though.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...z_r/index.html

I think it can definetly help esspecially on the track. IC on the top with something like the APS TT should work well. The pipe routing would be interesting.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately doable, but nothing bolt on. Many of the drift Z setups us V-Mounts.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Three5oZee

...exactly, see for going sideways its a little difficult for the cool air to circulate through the front end properly. V-Mount would ensure a more accurate flow of air than a normal set up... it would not correct the problem in its entireity, but would deffinitly help thats for sure...

Thanks for that site... im gonna check it out now!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
...exactly, see for going sideways its a little difficult for the cool air to circulate through the front end properly. V-Mount would ensure a more accurate flow of air than a normal set up... it would not correct the problem in its entireity, but would deffinitly help thats for sure...

Thanks for that site... im gonna check it out now!
This would be a really hard one to test...even casually. Since you would need to run a different intercooler, and a different rad, it would be difficult to get a good comparison on coolant and engine temps, since you would be changing everything at the same time..both cores, and both locations of the cores.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Three5oZee

hmmm with that in mind... repositioning the koyo to approximately 45 degrees and the intercooler at maybe 30 degrees... i think the most difficult issue would be discovering a way to make a platform that would hold both units without issues.

this would have to be effective behind the normal setting distance of a factory bumper. im not into that longnose look that the G35 or the Jun 350z-r awd has.... their design gives a good idea of where to start... but would not obviously work for a TN kit. the only difference in my piping would be where the intercooler meets... a few simple bends would fix that... no biggie there...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anyone....
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/267764-i-have-a-vision-z33art-here-it-is.html
Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

You would definately need to remove the factory core support, and fabricate your own front clip from chro-mo. This would free up a lot of room, and allow you to place a smaller intercooler, and a slightly smaller radiator as you wish.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
THE TECH

For the supposed benefit you might get, the cost would highly outweigh it. I don't even see the point on a drift car that runs maybe a couple mins max on a course.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:12 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why don't you use a custom air-water intercooler, and then you won't have a big intercooler blocking your radiator.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Quamen

Bell intercoolers is the place to go for a custom water intercooler. Corky and Gerhard are great guys and they offer excellent service. However, with the location of the TN turbo it may be hard to find a good location for the cooler but non the less possible.

I spent a couple hundred on the material for my front end. $400 on the intercooler and it will be another $400 for the custom radiator from Howe racing.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Quamen

I will be posting pictures of the progress on my Z33Art project including making the v-mount front end for my Z as soon as my pulley comes in from Unorthodox.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Quamen

Have you made a descision on the route you are going to go?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by QuadCam
why don't you use a custom air-water intercooler, and then you won't have a big intercooler blocking your radiator.

For short run periods the air to water cores are more then adequate.For long long races, rallies, etc...the air to air is the way to go.

Last edited by TurboTim; 08-06-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Lawy'dU

the v mount setup has been done a number of times on the G and Z (mostly on shop/track cars) so i agree it's do-able. You shouldn't have a problem finding a shop that can fab this setup for you in socal. Just start calling the decent import tuning shops in your area. You may need to re-locate a number of things (not totally sure - just a guess).
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by Quamen
Wow VERY NICE!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

THIS is how you do a front end..

Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
THIS is how you do a front end..

Thats the Signal Auto g35 right?

The design I had for my car was like the Jun setup on their awd time attack 350z, but I ditched the idea after a fab shop completely screwed my car and me over.

Three5oZee where ever you go, make sure you are comfortable with that shop.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You have quite a bit of room to work with once you get everything out of the way. Heres what mine looked like when everything got cleared out for the tube frame. This is a widebody bumper so there is a little more room then stock.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by meatbag
Thats the Signal Auto g35 right?

The design I had for my car was like the Jun setup on their awd time attack 350z, but I ditched the idea after a fab shop completely screwed my car and me over.

Three5oZee where ever you go, make sure you are comfortable with that shop.

Nice!!!! Looks like really nice fabrication and well thought out.Those twin oil coolers are way overkill too.I love it.

Quick Reply: ~"V-Mount" Radiator Support frames for Turbo Applications~