Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy TT/UTEC/Emissions??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
ColoradoClark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy TT/UTEC/Emissions??

So...I'm considering purchasing a used out of state 350Z with Greddy TTs and a UTEC EMS, but I live in a part of Colorado that will require an emissions test for a newly purchased used car.

The other issue is that I am at over 5K' of elevation, and I'd want to be able to take the car on trips to both coasts, so it needs to be able to run from Colorado down to sea level safely. A properly tuned FI engine at altitude would be running dangerously lean at sea level, right?

I believe that with the UTEC I could run up to five seperate maps. Is that currect? If this is corrrect, than please let me know if I am on the right track with the following ideas.

The car is coming from sea level, so I could keep that map (or both maps, in this case) for driving at sea level.

Would a low-boost tune be the right way to go to try to get the car to pass emissions? The car has high-flow cats (no test pipes) and Colorado seems to have relatively lenient emissions rules. Does anybody have experience with Colorado emissions on a TT car? (Note that I did post this in the SW forums: lots of people worried about emissions, but no concrete advice based on actual experience).

Anybody have any advice? Could the UTEC really manage multiple maps effectively? Sea level, low boost (for emissions) and 'normal' PSI for daily driving -- and maybe higher boost tune for the track?

My apologies in advance if my questions reveal my ignorance. I haven't put much time into learning about turbos and turbo management, but I'm interested in learning more. Unfortuneately, I need to get some answers pretty quickly in order to decide if the car is worth buying and bringing to Colorado.

If anybody has any links to good FI/EMS articles, please shoot them this way.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
ColoradoClark

What's up with the lack of responses? Stupid newbie questions? Too many questions?

Help me out here, guys!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
plumpzz

Not many people know the answer. I'd call a tuner and see what they say. Boulder is near you, ask them?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM
ColoradoClark

I talked to two local tuners today. The UTEC can handle 5 maps, plus a couple of standard maps that come with the EMS, a valet setting and something similar. Both tuners thought it wouldn't be too hard to tune the car, along with the high flow cats, to enable it t pass Colorado emissions, which they both thought were fairly easy to pass with a well-tuned car.

Hopefully I'll be able tofollow up with some posts in the next few weeks with some more info regarding Colorado emissions with a TT!