Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ hey let us know how it turn out.. I'm getting sick and tired of the loudness and the smell with the TP. I can deal with the smell if it is at least quiet or vice versa....
Will do. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the smell, and the potential for a cop to be on my *** and notice that something isn't quite right
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
madwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that tunnel
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by madwi
I love that tunnel
How long is it BTW? From the clip it looks like its 1/8 mile long or so....I could be wrong though

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ hey let us know how it turn out.. I'm getting sick and tired of the loudness and the smell with the TP. I can deal with the smell if it is at least quiet or vice versa....
Most definitely!

Originally Posted by JonnyC

From what I know, the Mangaflow 12216 is really the only option for a resonator (from Magnaflow). It's better quality than the Dynomax (packed tighter, full stainless), and it's cheaper. And looking at the stock mid-pipe, there's really only room for one - and it barely fits. However, you can do like goosegoose did and install one where the stock muffler goes - on the exhaust pipe that feeds the turbo right there in the back.

We'll see how it sounds with the 12216. If it's still too loud, I might do the same thing that goosegoose did.

The main thing you have to worry about though is the "blowing out" - the fiberglass burning up and making it's way out through the holes in the center pipe.

I'm pretty confident that with resonated test pipes, and the beefier resonator, it should help quiet it down while keeping the nice smooth exhaust note. We'll see.
THIS I want to see! I'm confident the meet will be a success with both of your cars getting the proper attention they deserve!

As for the sound level, I'm willing to bet that with both resonators on there, it'll defiantly come close to stock level quiet until you open it up. That's what I'm looking for. I drive my car with family and friends sometime and the last thing I need is nagging because of the sound of my car let alone exhaust fumes from test pipes (although I respect the added performance they bring)

What do you mean by blowing out? Will the pipes get so hot it could melt the fiberglass!? Holy crap batman. What's the temperature of those exhaust gases? I want to send an email to the guys at STS asking them these same questions about

1)HFCs/Cats burning up and breaking because of the heat
2)Fiberglass Blowout from the resonator
3)Advice for proper tuning of the exhaust sound to stock level +turbo whooosh
4) Idle issues a few of you mentioned on page 88.
5) Other possible tuning method possibilities

Anyone else want to add a few questions of their own? I'll happily post the email I'm sending them here along with the results for the community to benefit as a whole.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM
tiguy99

Nice clip of a 350z I found on the STS turbo company site

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i229.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid229.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/TrackZpeed/Movie.flv">

Not sure who he is but if you're on this site, congrats on a nice build and an even nicer drift! I wonder how much he's putting down at the wheels
Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
DanielW
Banned

i think that is boozt but could be wrong
Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM
tiguy99

Hey what's going on Daniel! I think your video was the first STS clip I saw with the red Z. That was sick. Did you ever record any other videos?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Nice clip of a 350z I found on the STS turbo company site

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i229.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid229.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/TrackZpeed/Movie.flv">

Not sure who he is but if you're on this site, congrats on a nice build and an even nicer drift! I wonder how much he's putting down at the wheels
Yep...that's me. STS turbo with light flywheel and 6 puck race clutch. Since that video I changed to the motordyne spacer and HFC's, car is actually louder now. WHP with forged NISMO wheels is 400 +/- at 8PSI.
Here is another clip just prior to blowing out the stock CATS.
(I had the APS plenum for awhile but ran into Cali smog problems...that's why I switched to motordyne) excuse the "pimping" at the begining....I just wanted a clip of the exhaust sound and some of the upgrade shots (BBK, APS, etc) there are 3 runs on video...the last is full throttle tire smoke fun since I has already won the SM2 class for the day.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84594116&hl=en
Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Hey guys,
I'm finishing up my turbo install tonight and I had a few questions...

#1. The breather filter they give you to connect to your rear factory crank case line. Where the heck is this? I see one coming out the driver side but that feeds into the intake tube. Is this the line I need to connect to the breather? If so what happens to the line at the bottom of the intake where that one is suppose to run stock?

#2. Did you guys get a larger down pipe from STS for exhaust side of the turbo and a small pipe for the wastegate dump tube? My exhaust tips fit the wastegate dump but not the down pipe. The Down pipe is 3" I think...

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Do you know if he's running the UTEC? I'm hoping to find a place to tune my car in the event that I can't take the time to tune it myself. I know that GRD and SP don't really do much with the UTEC - one of the places might not even work on it in fact.
I'm actually going to be the first person to run the UpRev system with this setup. I look forward to letting you guys know how it turns out.

Tiguy sorry I've been late getting back to your questions. I was under the car all weekend and busy installing the proper supporting mods. Hope your questions got answered and if you want to stop by and check out the system let me know.

I'm running ISIS headers, Berk HFC's to stock Y-Pipe to Stock Mid pipe to turbo. I finished up my fuel system yesterday with Charles from CJMotorsports. We put in a 225lph Walbro, RC 440 injectors, Aeromotive AFPR, CJMotorsports Stage 1 Fuel Kit w/return, and removed the factory fuel hard line to clean up the engine bay. Also I am running a Kinetix SSV Intake Manifold.

Last edited by eXe-Chris; 03-23-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by eXe-Chris
Hey guys,
I'm finishing up my turbo install tonight and I had a few questions...

#1. The breather filter they give you to connect to your rear factory crank case line. Where the heck is this? I see one coming out the driver side but that feeds into the intake tube. Is this the line I need to connect to the breather? If so what happens to the line at the bottom of the intake where that one is suppose to run stock?

#2. Did you guys get a larger down pipe from STS for exhaust side of the turbo and a small pipe for the wastegate dump tube? My exhaust tips fit the wastegate dump but not the down pipe. The Down pipe is 3" I think...

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

I had alot of my piping custom made for more clearance and I didn't do the install secondary to burn out.....I went through 2 Vortech blowers on self install before I quit on the SC set up.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Originally Posted by Boozt
I had alot of my piping custom made for more clearance and I didn't do the install secondary to burn out.....I went through 2 Vortech blowers on self install before I quit on the SC set up.
Not trying to be a *** or anything but I have no idea how any of that relates to the questions I asked... if you wouldn't have quoted me I would have figured you were talking to someone else.

What is secondary burn out? You had pipes made for clearance on what? I haven't had a single clearance issue yet. Sorry man I'm just sort of lost by your response.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Boozt

Not trying to be a *** or anything but I have no idea how any of that relates to the questions I asked... if you wouldn't have quoted me I would have figured you were talking to someone else.

What is secondary burn out? You had pipes made for clearance on what? I haven't had a single clearance issue yet. Sorry man I'm just sort of lost by your response.
No worries....I was replying to question #2. Alot of my piping was custom so I am not sure I can help.......

Not "secondary burn out" but "secondary to burn out" I installed my Vortech system a 2 times because of blower failure....I got "burned out" on my FI installs. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut overall. My bad for not having anything useful to add
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Originally Posted by Boozt
No worries....I was replying to question #2. Alot of my piping was custom so I am not sure I can help.......

Not "secondary burn out" but "secondary to burn out" I installed my Vortech system a 2 times because of blower failure....I got "burned out" on my FI installs. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut overall. My bad for not having anything useful to add
no no no, I didn't mean to come off like a dick man. Sorry for the way it sounded. I see what your saying now. As far as the pipes they gave me goes they were 100% perfect other then the down pipe directly off the turbo. It's just much bigger then the wastegate pipe they gave me which the STS Exhaust Tips Attached to.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Boozt

no no no, I didn't mean to come off like a dick man. Sorry for the way it sounded. I see what your saying now. As far as the pipes they gave me goes they were 100% perfect other then the down pipe directly off the turbo. It's just much bigger then the wastegate pipe they gave me which the STS Exhaust Tips Attached to.
It's cool.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 AM
tiguy99

Chris I want to see how the tune with the Uprev turns out. If it makes everything run super smooth with stock level reliability/drive ability etc I'll look into that as well. As for seeing the car, let me know when you have time and we can working something out.

Boozt your AutoX looks like you're having a lot of fun out there. How long do your rear tires usually last?

I see that BBK working nicely too by the way haha
Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 AM
JonnyC

Yup, that's the hose the breather connects to. I just rotated it 180 degrees so that instead of leading to the intake pipe, it runs behind the motor. I then just zip-tied the hose to something back there after I installed the breather filter.

The port on the bottom of the STS intake connects up to the STS PCV setup that connects up to one of the front crossover points. I didn't go their route with the PCV setup, and I actually ditched their PCV actuator valve (or whatever it is). I discussed that earlier in this thread I think, if you can find it

Yes, I got two different inlet-sized exhaust tips - one for the larger downpipe, and one for the smaller wastegate dump. If both of them are the same size (fit the wastegate dump but not the downpipe), then they screwed up on packing the order - something they do a LOT of.

Btw, I assume this install is on a 350Z?

Last edited by JonnyC; 03-23-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
JonnyC

I'm interested in seeing out the UpRev solution works out as well. As athenG has pointed out before, there are a few things that are missing from that solution that you should be sure to watch out for: no over-boost protection, and no customizable knock correction (fails over to conservative map). I haven't been following any of the UpRev threads, so maybe this has changed.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
DudeMan

sorry for the n00b question but whats uprev?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Johnny,
Thank you very much for clearing up the breather valve question I had. I will let you know how the UpRev system works for the STS Kit. What did you end up doing with the different size pipes(wastegate & down pipe) STS sent you? I figured I would take it to a exhaust shop and have new pipes made for both sides since I am running Injen rolled Ti exhaust tips.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeMan
sorry for the n00b question but whats uprev?
tuning comapny... works wonders for n00b questions

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread