Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

So 14k miles later I have some boosted trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So 14k miles later I have some boosted trouble

Have no clue what is wrong with the car, but here is the gist of the problem.
I have a vortech setup.

When the car goes in boost, the engine just dies and the pedal just becomes dead. it dosnt rev up it just cuts out but it comes back on as soon as i stop flooring it.

now the engine sounds %100 same as day one there is nothing wrong with the internals as far as i know.

the check engine light is not on.
the car runs the same as it always did when not boosting.

it is only having this trouble when the car goes on boost.

I notice my boost guage starting to act frigity instead of it being a smooth motion when in vaccume, basically it jumpes up and down and gets stuck for a split second, but the car runs great when not in boost.

i do not know what is wrong henz why im here.

Im thinking that maybe
1: I have a boost leak? I looked everyware and there is nothing that was detached that I could see
2: My clutch is gone? but why does it work fine under boost and only mess up during it.

hope you guys can be some help
Old 08-22-2007, 04:49 AM
booger

Do you gain any boost at all ? If not ...just go through every thing . Vacuum lines to the BOV , SS box . Check IC pipes .

First thing that came to mind is a limp mode . Will the car go over 2500rpm and 40mph ? Or does it bog down when you try ?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:14 AM
MUZZY

Originally Posted by booger
Do you gain any boost at all ? If not ...just go through every thing . Vacuum lines to the BOV , SS box . Check IC pipes .

First thing that came to mind is a limp mode . Will the car go over 2500rpm and 40mph ? Or does it bog down when you try ?
THE CAR DOSNT GO ON LIMP MODE....I can still drive it normally under boost. basically I can drive it as a NA 350z. But I have to keep it under 3.5k because it does that when I go to boost.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:14 AM
MUZZY

do you think I have a ECU issue or a wire loose with the SS box?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 AM
booger

If its not a limp mode . It sounds like your getting to much fuel with no boost and bogging down . Look for a vacuum hose kinked or leaking to the bov . A IC pipe coupling bad . Something along them lines .
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a sticking FMU. Happened to me one time. The FMU doesn't regulate properly causing the car to jerk once a certain level is hit. Just happened one time though and hasn't happened again since.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

If its not a limp mode . It sounds like your getting to much fuel with no boost and bogging down . Look for a vacuum hose kinked or leaking to the bov . A IC pipe coupling bad . Something along them lines .
+1...that would be my first thing to check, seeing as it cruises and idles just fine.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM
booger

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Sounds like a sticking FMU. Happened to me one time. The FMU doesn't regulate properly causing the car to jerk once a certain level is hit. Just happened one time though and hasn't happened again since.
He said he couldnt build any boost at all . Im thinking if it was the FMU , he could build boost but just go pig rich . Hard to tell of the internet !!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what clutch do you have?

i'd check out everything else first, but I'd guess it's the clutch not being able to take any heavy load and then slips so bad that the engine dies
Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by MUZZY
it is only having this trouble when the car goes on boost.

I notice my boost guage starting to act frigity instead of it being a smooth motion when in vaccume, basically it jumpes up and down and gets stuck for a split second, but the car runs great when not in boost.
hard to tell if he's having problem when on boost or having problem when he start hitting boost but based on this post, he does get boost and problem only exist when boosting..
Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
MUZZY

problem happens when i hit boost..... the engine dosnt die so yes it could be geting super rich and im not building boost. the car runs fine under boost so im guessing you might have hit the nail in the head with the BOV line being disconected.

Ill dbl check that today.

Its not the FMU, I have AAM fuel return and walboro, so im safe there.

my guess is that I have a boost leak, but then it has to be a major boost leak for it to bog down like that! and i didnt see any ic piping off, so the vaccume line to the BOV could be it, so basically when i try to boost the BOV stays open instead of close and hence why I cant boost and I get too much fuel and the car jerks.........

Ill dbl check, anyone els with any other suggestions.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Have no clue what is wrong with the car, but here is the gist of the problem.
I have a vortech setup.

When the car goes in boost, the engine just dies and the pedal just becomes dead. it dosnt rev up it just cuts out but it comes back on as soon as i stop flooring it.

now the engine sounds %100 same as day one there is nothing wrong with the internals as far as i know.

problem happens when i hit boost..... the engine dosnt die
this is why everyone needs to be really descriptive when trying to describe a problem to troubleshoot
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
THE TECH

If it were a boost leak though, you would have idle issues and you would know it.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by THE TECH
If it were a boost leak though, you would have idle issues and you would know it.
not really, the vortech runs off of a blow through MAF, so all of the air coming in the engine would be metered if the leak was before the MAFS
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

the above advice is good, any chance you sucked up some water freaking out the MAF? I had a similar issue once when one of my turbos sucked in some water, the second I boosted and the water hit the MAF, it bogged down..

just an idea
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
kostat26

i had the same problem turned out my ecu was fried
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 AM
MUZZY

Well went and took a look at it longer with a friend, and we fixed the problem, the car is fine now. The hoses to my catch can have colaps from the heat and caused a leak in the crank case connection, I boosted the car while he held the line open and tight, PROBLEM solved!. I cant beleive a little thing like that could have caused this, but Im glad it was a free cheap fix.

Im replacing the hosses today. thanks for all the suggestion but defenetly kinda weired.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:03 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Well went and took a look at it longer with a friend, and we fixed the problem, the car is fine now. The hoses to my catch can have colaps from the heat and caused a leak in the crank case connection, I boosted the car while he held the line open and tight, PROBLEM solved!. I cant beleive a little thing like that could have caused this, but Im glad it was a free cheap fix.

Im replacing the hosses today. thanks for all the suggestion but defenetly kinda weired.
Thats good news that it was a easy fix.It seems like the little things are the hardest to find.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 AM
booger

How did you boost the car with him holding the hose open ? Did he ride in the engine bay while driving down the street ???? Didnt think you could build boost while sitting in neutral reving the motor ?

regaurdless...glad you fixed it !!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM
MUZZY

How did you boost the car with him holding the hose open ? Did he ride in the engine bay while driving down the street ???? Didnt think you could build boost while sitting in neutral reving the motor ?

regaurdless...glad you fixed it !!!!
jacked the rear.

Quick Reply: So 14k miles later I have some boosted trouble