Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I hate to do this but....https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...3&postcount=51

The car seemed to have been driven a bit before Dynocomp's initial tune, presumably on the old stock motor Unichip map. OP states that there's hesitation after 5k rpm (no mention of boost though), which seems a little hard to be pushing a brand new un-broken-in motor with a basically untuned turbo kit. There seems like there was plenty of opportunity to heat up the motor before any tuning took place.

Sorry Don.
No worries - I feel there is an inaccurate assumption in your statment, and some discrepancies in the findings and conflict of his statements that I've shared with Todd via PM.

That said, I'm not in a postion to refute the technical findings because that is beyond my paygrade. I can only affirm how the car was driven, under what conditions, the metrics used during the operation, and the outcomes between both shops (whether they have a vested interest or not). Though I'm still unclear on some points of failure, I've extended my appreciation onto Todd for performing a prompt inspection.

Nonetheless, I've not determined the fate of this motor. It may end up back in the car (due to time/money constraints), or it may be sold off as there are interested parties who are willing to take it off my hands for a substantial amount less than what was paid.

If it comes to be that it ends up back in the car, I hope to be able to post a remarkable success story about the outcome.

I've received some PMs regarding GTM and whether they will respond, and to that I cannot answer. I'm not GTM and I do not have the breadth of knowledge necessary to stick pins in either findings. Alternatively, they may choose to respond to Todd in private, and that is between them. If I become privy to other facts I'll let you know.

As I've shared with Todd, I'll have a firm response for him this weekend on a resolution.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
synth19

Much respect Todd and nice write up.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
synth19

Where is Sam? He's ignored two PM's I've sent him over the past few weeks. Along with failsafe, I also won't go into any details of my issues...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
oh, anxiously awaiting as well... but WHAT can they say? They showed their analysis, I am shocked that they missed so many obvious findings.
Todd, I wouldn't worrry about GTM's response. I don't see how they can refute your thorough analysis at this point. It looks like they went for the cheap shot instead of actually searching for the truth. How sad.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

when testing a valve with a vacuum test, the valve must be closed completely. If the position of the cam on the cylinder in question is not pointing upwards, the lifter of the valve will be contacting part of the cam lobe- opening the valve slightly. When we first tested the cylinder #1 valves, I was anxious to see the results, as they visually appeared fine. When we pressurized the port, I noticed that the cam was not positioned in the proper testing position, pointing upward, it was interesting to see how much the test results varied with the cam barely opening the valve, compared to the valve being completely shut, error on my part that took me all of 10 seconds to realize.

thanks for your response
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
No worries - I feel there is an inaccurate assumption in your statment, and some discrepancies in the findings and conflict of his statements that I've shared with Todd via PM.

That said, I'm not in a postion to refute the technical findings because that is beyond my paygrade. I can only affirm how the car was driven, under what conditions, the metrics used during the operation, and the outcomes between both shops (whether they have a vested interest or not). Though I'm still unclear on some points of failure, I've extended my appreciation onto Todd for performing a prompt inspection.

Nonetheless, I've not determined the fate of this motor. It may end up back in the car (due to time/money constraints), or it may be sold off as there are interested parties who are willing to take it off my hands for a substantial amount less than what was paid.

If it comes to be that it ends up back in the car, I hope to be able to post a remarkable success story about the outcome.

I've received some PMs regarding GTM and whether they will respond, and to that I cannot answer. I'm not GTM and I do not have the breadth of knowledge necessary to stick pins in either findings. Alternatively, they may choose to respond to Todd in private, and that is between them. If I become privy to other facts I'll let you know.

As I've shared with Todd, I'll have a firm response for him this weekend on a resolution.
best of luck my friend!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

great job Todd.
Does this mean you are still going to sell fully built LONG blocks or are you still planning on selling only short blocks in the future???

Last edited by 35ounces; 08-30-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Cube

I can only say that because I know the extent that we clean our engines before assembly, to allow that much metal to lay around in a frsh engine would be borderline retarded

Todd's work, fresh out the box.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Conceyted

Well done, Todd. From the beginning I knew that things just were not adding up. I am happy to hear you were able to come to these conclusions after receiving the block as you did. Man, that box of pieces/parts would have made me cringe instantly if I would have received that. Kudos bro. And good luck, JoeDirt.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Conceyted
Well done, Todd. From the beginning I knew that things just were not adding up. I am happy to hear you were able to come to these conclusions after receiving the block as you did. Man, that box of pieces/parts would have made me cringe instantly if I would have received that. Kudos bro. And good luck, JoeDirt.

they are still not adding up....from another end...we hope 3rd party responds
Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Well if Sam was gonna come on here and be so arrogant and confident in his diagnosis, he should have damn well checked EVERYTHING. The detonation and poor piston ring condition were VISIBLY obvious, yet he mentions nothing about it in his findings to Don. Shady.
+1 Shady
I feel for JoeDirt , and BZM . A competetor has taken advantage of his standing and reputation on this forum to make money and to TRY to make BZM look bad . Shame !!!!!

Last edited by booger; 08-30-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

We will be responding in details soon as well. A level headed person would wait to hear our response before coming to their own final conclusion.

Lets please keep this on the current topic so this thread doesn't get locked down.

For the few people that keep bringing up there personal issue with GTM you can do the folowing:

1-Open your own thread
2-Call the shop (909) 481-1601 I am only here 18 hours a day
3-PM me or George and he will pass on my personal cell (I answer my phone 24/7 )

Other wise let's stay on the current issue.

Thank you,

Sam

GT Motorsports

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 08-30-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
We will be responding in details soon as well. A level headed person would wait to hear our response before coming to their own final conclusion.
I thought your "details" were posted in the other thread and this was a reponse to those details?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought your "details" were posted in the other thread?

Matt (waiting for the rest of the story)
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Lets please keep this on the current topic so this thread doesn't get locked down.

Thank you,

Sam

GT Motorsports

+1000 ignore any personal feeling I or anybody will have as they don't matter much if your work/products is impeccable it makes no difference, we just wanna see the facts and will all wait patiently for your response.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Thank you,

Sam

GT Motorsports
eagerly awaiting.. will you be writing the response or someone else using your screen name? just curious so I know who to address. Please enlighten us all.

PS: make sure it is really good

"A level headed person would wait to hear our response before coming to their own final conclusion."

Samer: Many "level-headed" persons have already responded to our factual data, and as you can see, your fan club is quickly decreasing in numbers. At least you still have Quicksilver...

oh, can't wait to see what you tell us all...

-TODD

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 08-30-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
booger

For the few people that keep bringing up there personal issue with GTM you can do the folowing:

1-Open your own thread
2-Call the shop (909) 481-1601 I am only here 18 hours a day
3-PM me or George and he will pass on my personal cell (I answer my phone 24/7 )

Other wise let's stay on the current issue.

Thank you,

Sam

GT Motorsports
Amazing how you expect fair treatment from every one on this forum . But couldnt extend that fair treatment to BZM and JoeDirt in the first place . You blamed BZM for the engine failure and bad mouthed him to your customer and on this forum . But you expect fair treatment in return ????? AAM does great work also....but you know the rep they have ....seems you are working towards that rep too !!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
IIQuickSilverII

eagerly awaiting.. will you be writing the response or someone else using your screen name? just curious so I know who to address. Please enlighten us all.

PS: make sure it is really good

"A level headed person would wait to hear our response before coming to their own final conclusion."

Samer: Many "level-headed" persons have already responded to our factual data, and as you can see, your fan club is quickly decreasing in numbers. At least you still have Quicksilver...

oh, can't wait to see what you tell us all...

-TODD

Your assumption is horribly mistaken ... lets not get OT..i am in no way a fan of gtm( i was just trying to be non confrontational)...i am just saying that he shouldnt care that I or other dont like his personal attitude if that doesnt affect his quality of products/work...

like for example "a hot chick can have a bad attitude, but still a hot chick" an ugly chick can have a good personality, but she is still f-ugly"

so go re-ninja-edit your post cause you are mistaken here

Originally Posted by booger
AAM does great work also....but you know the rep they have ....seems you are working towards that rep too !!!!!!!
I agree with your post but

ahhh we are getting OT.... that is false..they have blown quit a few on VQs and pulled a few more VRt like stuff... but ... i essentially agree with your post

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-30-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
booger

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII

Your assumption is horribly mistaken ... lets not get OT..i am in no way a fan of gtm( i was just trying to be non confrontational)...i am just saying that he shouldnt care that I or other dont like his personal attitude if that doesnt affect his quality of products/work...

like for example "a hot chick can have a bad attitude, but still a hot chick" an ugly chick can have a good personality, but she is still f-ugly"

so go re-ninja-edit your post cause you are mistaken here

I agree with your post but

ahhh we are getting OT.... that is false..they have blown quit a few on VQs and pulled a few more VRt like stuff... but ... i essentially agree with your post
I love the hot chick with a bad personality vs ugly chick with good personality thing . Works great here lol . As soon as you get to really know the hot chick and what she is really like [ GTM] . The Ugly chick with the good personality looks better and better [BZM] lol...sorry Todd !
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by booger
I love the hot chick with a bad personality vs ugly chick with good personality thing . Works great here lol . As soon as you get to really know the hot chick and what she is really like [ GTM] . The Ugly chick with the good personality looks better and better [BZM] lol...sorry Todd !
now this is really ot....

Quick Reply: BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED